News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

For Talkin' About Books

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, October 18, 2016, 04:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonff the Mousethief

Gah, I literally have The Way of Kings on my nightstand but have hardly picked it up. Well, it is buried under a couple other series or two, you know. Once I finish those (The Duncton Chronicles and The Shanara Chronicles), I will probably start it.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Maudie

@Jet the binturong

Well, Elantris is his first book, and it's pretty good, but not as good as some of his others.

Warbreaker is a standalone that has a really unique world, religion, and magic system. I think you might like at least two of the main characters. The plot progresses well, I think.

Mistborn has two series. The first trilogy is pretty hefty and quite drawn out. Both of my brothers were too tired of it to finished the last book, but I thought it was great. There are some really unique elements to the world. The side and secondary characters might hold more interest for you than the main characters.
The second trilogy is reminiscent of the American West and follows a former lawman-unwillingly-turned-nobleman who can't seem to leave the profession behind. Lots of the elements of this series took twists that I didn't expect, but some might find more predictable because of their departure from common tropes. Reading the first series before is recommended but not required. Does contain spoilers for first series.

The Stormlight Archive (Way of Kings, Words of Radiance) consists of two 1000+ page installments, and eight more are expected. By my calculations the series should be all written and published in about twenty years :P. The main characters are interesting, but not unique. Again, I think you would like some of the side/secondary characters better. The books so far are more setting up for the 'big event' than anything else, but I found them well done. Despite being huge, the books have good pacing. Also, the world building is exquisite.

Those are the major books and series. Overall, Brandon Sanderson's world building is his strongest point. Each of his worlds has a unique magic system and religion. He tends to do better on secondary characters than main characters, with Warbreaker as the exception.

tl;dr: I think you might like Warbreaker as a start.

Sorry if none of this was helpful. I was trying to be informative but still avoid spoilers :P.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Feles

I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Maudie

I think Jet has already read the Reckoners trilogy, though I'm not sure.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Cornflower MM

Finished the Half Bad trilogy. (Actually, I finished a few days ago, but meh)

They're good books, but not my favorite. Nathan drives me bonkers. (Even so, I cried at the end.)

Jetthebinturong

I haven't read the Reckoners trilogy yet. I've read enough negative comments about it that I'm wary to pick it up. Apparently the main character is really bland, the world is nothing new, the plot is predictable and it treats female characters really badly. It surprised me, because these are the first negative reviews of his work that I've read and there were a lot of them complaining about the same things, so it can't just be down to one person's preference.

Corn: Lucky.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Maudie

Interesting. I think it's because it's YA fantasy/sci-fi. Adult fantasy is more his area of expertise.

But the good news is, Warbreaker can be read online free! It can be found on Wattpad or it can be downloaded from Brandon Sanderson's website because it has a Creative Commons copyright license.

Aimless Gallivanter

a little late, but I agree (almost) entirely with Maudie's rundown of the Brand Sand books
im gay!!!!!!

alexandre

Finished Animal Farm, geez, that ending gave me the chills. I'm curious as to what you guys think of that book

I'm starting 1984 now.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Feles

Put anything regarding Animal Farm in spoilers please, im going to read it soon.
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Lady Amber

I read Animal Farm a few years ago. It was pretty good.

Jetthebinturong

Just finished Wonders of the Invisible World yesterday. It's definitely going on my favourites list. Somewhere near the top of it, actually.

Just..... AAAAAAAAAAARRGH!!! CAN THEY MAKE THIS REQUIRED READING IN SCHOOLS PLEASE??

Everyone, no matter what your feelings about magic, the supernatural or homosexuality just needs to go and read this right now. Because ultimately it's not about those things, it's about one boy learning what it means to be a person and taking charge of his life. You might not like the book, but you'll learn something even if you don't.

I need to read more Christopher Barzak...

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: alexandre on January 31, 2017, 12:49:37 AM
Finished Animal Farm, geez, that ending gave me the chills. I'm curious as to what you guys think of that book

I'm starting 1984 now.

I watched the movie it was so good.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jetthebinturong

Hey, just dropping in to say that literally everyone who has no problem with gay romance should drop everything and go read Timekeeper by Tara Sim right now. I don't care if you're currently reading Skulduggery Pleasant, which, while excellent, still has a world that will be familiar to any fan of urban fantasy, whereas Timekeeper is an utterly original masterpiece of a book. I can't wait for Chainbreaker.

Cornflower MM

Whoa, this book must really be something else if you're telling me to drop SP. (Which I am, actually, re-reading) I'll see what I can do.