They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

"Maxy's about my height," Bracklew said unhelpfully, closing one eye to think. "He's got this odd white fur and a dark blue tunic. He stands out in a crowd believe me you'd know if you'd seen him. Stumbly's a mouse." Bracklew shrugged, not sure how to describe somebeast like Stumbly having not known her particularly well. "She's got curly fur, carries a bow. Maybe you noticed them passing through?"

~*~*~*~

"I can..." Rayne sighed wishing Grant had taken on the responsibility himself. There could be little worse in the world than telling somebeast their best friend lay slain by the Abbey gates. Rayne herself had experience in this field after the horrors of the horde's invasion many seasons ago. An awful duty she dreaded repeating.

Nodding in agreement Rayne wiped her muzzle free of any tears, holding Grant's gaze. "We will, all of us. Redwall won't allow itself to be broken by this. But it will be hard for Maxy, it'll be the first time he's ever dealt with this sort of thing. And remember what it did to Bracklew? It changed him for a long time. I'll try and break it to Maxy gently."

OOC: Can I take Grenlik, Shank, and Filargo? And if Sage Hickory doesn't make a claim for him I'll take Drubble as well.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

Charm carefully stroked her chin, thinking.
"No, can't say I've seen anybeast like 'em. How long have you two been out?"

She noticed Duncan approaching from a few feet away and motioned to him.

The otter shook her head. "If you've been out for a long time they might have gone home without you knowing."

--

Grant smiled bitterly, water brimming his eyes. "Please make sure he knows he is never alone here. I feel like that would have made it much easier for Bracklew."

Bidding Rayne good luck, the Abbot turned and started down the stairs, eyes half closed with a heavy strain on his heart.
This should not have happened.

--

Maxy imminently felt worried. He clambered on his knees to the edge of Rapshade's bed and stood there for a moment, ears twitching while he stared at the door.
"D-do you think...? You think the Abbot is saying something bad? You think it's about him, maybe?"

OOC-
Yours!
@Hickory Do you want Drubble? If not, he's going to Sand.

LT Sandpaw

OOC: So, Since its been a good five months and things are spread out all over the place I think it would be very helpful if we assembled an idea of where everyone is and what they're doing in the ooc.

IC:

"Pretty much all night, since sundown." Bracklew said in obvious disappointment. "We thought we'd find them at the river but you can see how that worked out for us. Riverblue was my next best guess for where they could've gone. You're right though, they may well have evaded us and returned to Redwall early this morning... Hopefully."

Undisguised concerned blanketed the squirrel's face showing he didn't really believe in the optimistic outcome. Bracklew hated the idea of just waiting for Maxy to return on his own. What if something terrible had occurred? Still, wandering Mossflower wouldn't bring them any closer to success either, unless dumb luck aided in their search. His and Duncan's best bet would be to return and organize a larger scouting party.

"I suppose we don't really have a choice." He admitted. "So we might as well be off and out of your fur, I don't really want to waste too much time here visiting." Bracklew's stomach gave a sudden loud gurgle, reminding him of his scanty breakfast earlier. No doubt Duncan would be hungry too. "Well, maybe a quick bite to eat if you don't mind. We left in a rush and didn't pack any rations. I know Duncan would appreciate it."

~*~*~*~

"I'll make sure of it Father Abbot."

Bitter resentment at the cruel fate of one so young tore at Rayne's heart as she opened the infirmary's door. Nobeast deserved to hear such tidings, especially when they were still recovering from previous trauma. But, despite what Rayne thought the world did not care what some beasts deserved. Fate's whim seemed set in destroying what little innocence remained, brutalizing life with death and suffering.

"Maxy," Rayne closed the door behind her, frowning at Rapshade. "I have some bad news I'm afraid, we should talk in my room." Rayne's personal quarters were separate from the rest of the infirmary, connected through a side door at the far end. The little mouse gestured that Maxy follow her inside not knowing how he'd react, and wanting to spare him any embarrassment from the other occupants of the infirmary. Namely Rapshade.

Ashleg

OOC-
Okay.
I was going to PM Skarzs a lot of information so he knows who everyone (our characters) is and whatnot, and what happened in the past. So he wouldn't have a gigantic boatload of reading to do--lest 'e wants to.
IC-
Duncan caught up to the two just as food was mentioned.
He waved a paw and smiled disarmingly, especially at Charm, who nodded her head at him.
"Nice to see you again. Now what was that about Scoff...?"

The otter snorted.
"Okay, okay, I take the hint. Come with me." Motioning briefly to Bracklew, the two started walking, Charm at the lead.
Duncan slipped to the back to inquire of his young squirrel friend. "Any signs of either of 'em?"

--

"Thank you," said Grant, turning and hurrying down the stairs to check on Rowan.

Maxy slowly moved his eyes away from Rapshade's while getting up, a look of concern and utter confusion plastered across his face. His heart beat like a drum.
"O-Okay, Raleigh," the squirrel stammered, stumbling after her.

When the Abbot reached the bottom of the stairs, he heard a door slamming and soon after saw Fang running towards him.
"Grant! Row'n got mad an' left!"

The mouse's eyebrow furrowed.
"Got mad, why?"

"She said it ain't safe 'ere, with a murderer 'bout an' a rude rat talkin' down to everybeast...don't know about that last part, believe me, Abbot!"

LT Sandpaw

Irritated Bracklew shot Duncan a scathing look. "No, obviously not, we'd be going to straight to them if they had been here. Charm doesn't think they've been spotted at Riverblue, she suggested we check back at Redwall, make sure we didn't miss one another in the night."

~*~*~*~*~

Ensuring their momentary privacy within the confines of her chambers, Rayne sat down in her sewing chair, only to stand up again. She knew stalling wouldn't help her in the long run and she should just tell Maxy before anxiousness killed him. Seasons of giving others terrible news about loved ones gave her experience in how to should be done properly. Though it never made it easier.

"Maxy," she started, wondering who this was becoming harder for, herself or the recipient. "Abbot Grant found Stumbly this morning. By the gate." Grant knew more than she did, he should've been the one to tell Maxy. Slight resentment flashed but Rayne stuffed it to the back of her mind. "Maxy, she-she didn't make it. She's gone."

Ashleg

Duncan lifted his paws, retorting in a heated tone, "Of course, it's not like we're casually going off to get food instead of swiftly heading back to Redwall!"

Charm whirled around. "Have you two been like this the whole journey?" she asked, staring over her snout at them. "The best way to find the young ones is to put your heads together. Duncan, breakfast will make you sharper, and Bracklew, Duncan has a right to be concerned. It's his child."

--

Maxy's ears perked at first--Stumbly, safe at home by the gate. But then...
"What?" he asked, staring the mouse blankly in the face, "I don't understand."

A horrible feeling of dread erupted inside him, which he pushed down. That couldn't be it.
He glanced back at the door. "Didn't make it from what? If she left, I will go bring her back. She's probably still mad about our argument."

LT Sandpaw

Stung by both of their rebukes Bracklew spluttered, unsure of what to say. "I-He's my brother too! I'm just as concerned by him missing, and I'm the bloody idiot that let him go beyond the walls on their own."
The squirrel warrior hung his head in shame, realizing his weakness and mistakes. "I'll never forgive myself if something befell either of them. It's my fault."

~*~*~*~

"No," Rayne grabbed Maxy's paw, looking him in the eye. "She's never coming back. She's dead, slain, maybe by the very beasts who attacked you."

Ashleg

"No, Bracklew," said Duncan. "It's my fault. I'm responsible for both of you." He frowned.

Charm led them into what seemed like some sort of private kitchen and tavern blended together. She disappeared into a side room and returned later with two haversacks filled to the brim with pastries, scones, and fruits.

--

Maxy stared at the door and weakly tugged himself towards it, leaving the paw still limp in Rayne's grasp.
"No, she's not," he snapped, blinking rapidly. His face was starting to feel hot. "She wasn't with me. That wasn't Stumbly."
Silence set in, but the white squirrel did not look at the Infirmary Keeper. He listened to her breath, and then, almost out of nowhere, he violently ripped his paw from hers.
"That was not Stumbly!" he bellowed, throwing the door open and running out with his paws clasped to his face, both from her room and the infirmary, in one jagged motion.
The squirrel's hard pawsteps could be heard smacking the stairs as he downed them, and then a surprised "Maxy!" from the Abbot along with the locking and slamming of a door.

Maxy rummaged under Duncan's bed for one of the hare's spare daggers. His heartbeat accelerated when his paw skimmed the cold metal.
He pulled the weapon out, tears streaming down his face, and ran to the closet. Flinging the doors open, the squirrel grabbed a hooded cloak, a belt, and an old long-sleeved tunic that Duncan likely would not miss and threw them onto the bed.
His were in the infirmary.
He slopped on the clothes and fitted the dagger into the belt, sniffling coldly.
I have one friend left, and I will not let him die.

The hooded squirrel approached the window and pushed it open, jumping onto the sill and sliding carefully out to drop onto the grass below. He rubbed his nose.

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Should we have the horde launch and attack on Riverblue while Bracklew and Duncan are still there? So they can't get back to Redwall like they want.

IC:

"But it was my decision." Bracklew argued, accepting one of the haversacks. His stomach growled but he resisted the urge to shove the food down his throat. Guilt sickened him, here they were getting something to eat when his brother could be in danger. Duncan had struck a chord in their earlier outburst.

"I should've followed them, or made sure somebeast kept an eye on them. I'm warrior of Redwall, if they are hurt its on me."  Bracklew clenched his paw, turning towards Charm. "Thank you for everything, but we need to get back. The worry is killing me."

~*~*~*~

"Maxy, Maxy stop!" Rayne yelled pursuing her patient from the infirmary. Despite her best efforts the quickpawed squirrel was gone once she reached the landing. Looking left and right the little healer descended the stairs all the while calling out his name.

Ashleg

OOC-
They are going to attack Riverblue, although on screen...ehh. Unless you were really excited for that, I had other plans in mind. Were you?
IC-
"I could have overridden your choice," Duncan hissed, following Bracklew out after bidding his goodbye to Charm.
"You know that."

--

"Maxy," Grant called gently, "You can talk to me. May I come in?" He noticed Rayne and turned around, waving her over. He jingled the doorknob roughly.
"He disappeared into Duncan's room and locked it. He is not answering. Should I get the key?"

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Nah, not really. Yo the boss.

IC:

"Maybe, but you didn't and I went through with it anyway." Bracklew shook his head, knowing their argument would get them nowhere. Retracing their steps out of Riverblue the two companions reached the main path, stepping off for Redwall, haversacks slung over their shoulders.

"We might as well eat this on the march." Bracklew said at last, giving himself an excuse to dig around inside and sample some of their supplies. Riverblue's food tasted good, but it didn't compare to Redwall quality. Still, Bracklew wouldn't have cared if all they had was hard tack, he felt all the better for eating it.

~*~*~*~

"Maybe we should leave him be, for a little while." Rayne shuffled over to Grant, placing her ear against the door. "He's gone quiet, I didn't expect him to react so badly, I should've been gentler." Rayne wiped away a tear, turning and sliding down the doorframe so that she was sitting against it, her knees hugged tight to her chest.
"Oh Grant, I feel like I've failed him. Do you remember what happened to Bracklew after Mixy's death? It changed him forever. I don't want another young one's innocence and life destroyed like that. There's too many hollow eyes around our abbey these days for somebeast as cheerful as Maxy to join them."

Ashleg

OOC-
Since I'm Boss I will go ahead with the all-included timeskip in my post, ja? And Happy Thanksgiving, eat lots of turkey and thank people.
IC-
The sun was hardly visible in the dark yet reddened sky. There was a humid breeze--unusual for spring nights, and most likely a warning sign of a coming storm, which ruffled Maxy's fur as he slunk through the shady clump of forest that was the Tree Rats' lair.
It was extremely quiet.
Although it had taken him quite some time, he had successfully retraced his steps to where he had fled. Remnants of the previous day's escapades lingered heavy in the air. The white squirrel could smell the ashes, and his stale scent, as well as Fastooth's and the overpowering stench that was the hundred-some rats that Maxy did not know.

Now...where was Fastooth?
Rats slumbered on branches and under trees and in the crooks of sticks.
Blade poised, he took a step and froze, blue eyes dilating at what he saw; Fastooth, dangling headfirst from a branch.
Is he dead? Maxy shook his head, approaching the tree. He put his dagger in his mouth and began to climb. He better not be dead!

--

It was nearly night when Duncan and Bracklew arrived at Redwall, and still with no sign of either of them. They were greeted by Grant, who told them with a grave voice of Stumbly's terrible end, and who took Duncan by the paw and led him to his room to hopefully console Maxy. Upon second thought, Grant waved Bracklew over too, and nodded at the door.
"Listen, you two, I am genuinely worried for him. He has locked the door, and has not come out or made a sound since early afternoon. Maybe you can talk to him. You two are closer to him than I ever will be, and you both have experience with situations like this."

LT Sandpaw

OOC: HAPPY TURKEY DAY BOSS!

IC:

Grant's terrible news hit Bracklew like a thunderbolt, leaving the squirrel frozen. At first he had been overjoyed to hear the two made it back, and that Maxy was mostly unharmed, but as the Abbot explained of Stumbly's fate and Maxy's reaction cold fear settled in his heart. Following Grant to Duncan's room, the young squirrel took one look at the barred door, dropping to his knees in frustrated anger.

"I'm so stupid! Stupid, and selfish, and blind, and useless!" He cried, tearing at his jerkin like some wild beast, tiny beads of blood appearing where he clawed at his muzzle.

Rayne, who'd followed the three of them darted forward, grabbing hold of Bracklew's wrist to keep him from harming himself further. "Brack, what's gotten into you?" She asked in concern, tightening her grip on the young warrior's arm.

"He's gone, he's gone I know it. He's going to kill the beasts who murdered Stumbly." Bracklew didn't know how wrong he was, nor did he know about Fastooth. However the squirrel knew one thing, Maxy was making the same mistake he and Mixy had done all those seasons ago. Taking matters into his own inexperienced paws.

~*~*~*~

Far off from Redwall, hanging upside down from the limb of a great tree like some forgotten russet apple, Fastooth the rat swung ever so slightly in the breeze. The tiny movement alone didn't wake him. Rather it, combined with his dry mouth and grumbling stomach was what roused him from his pain wrought sleep, driving the rodent back into consciousness.

He stank of bile and blood, small bruises and cuts from his earlier abuse providing a constant sting while his hind paws suspended in the air ached from a dull numbness caused by the lack of blood flow. In laymen's terms Fastooth was uncomfortable.

A low groan escaped him, and he screwed his eyes up tight, wishing once again for the sweet release of sleep. "Blasted halfmice th' lot o' em." He muttered after a moment, unable to drift away into the beyond. He glared about, seeing the slumbering forms of the hated tree rats, his captors from a plan gone awry. "I'll gut ye all, an' burn yer trees jus' wait'n see. Ol' Fastooth's a patient rat." Fastooth's crazed mutterings ended on a sudden note, his eyes widening. A young, white furred muzzle was ascending straight towards him a dagger set between his teeth.

"Maxy!" He hissed, unable to believe his eyes. "Ye damn fool o' a treemouse, I love ye. Bless yer little 'eart ye came back fer me. Quick cut me ropes an' les' get th' blazes out o' 'ere."

Ashleg

OOC-
Thoinkee, thoinks!
IC-
"Oh, Bracklew..." muttered Grant sadly.
Duncan watched on in silence.
He could feel for Bracklew, but his stomach was like a twisted knot. His son could be in danger, or at the very least, in risk of falling into a steep depression as the Warrior had.
The hare put a paw on Bracklew's shoulder.
"Shall we find out...?"

--

"I will," hissed Maxy gruffly, hoisting himself onto the branch above Fastooth and swinging one leg over each of its sides. He bent with his dagger in one paw and the other paw tightly around Fastooth's ankle, and then began sawing.
"I'm holding onto you so you don't fall," the squirrel whispered. "I'll need you to position yourself to grab the branch below you when the rope snaps. Do you think you can do it?"

Across from them, a single pair of red eyes appeared in the dark.

LT Sandpaw

"Tha's comfortin' lad, really is. An' yeh, I c'n do it, jus' cut th' bloody ropes faster 'afor th' whole tribe be on us again." Fastooth muttered. There was no way Maxy could support his weight for any length of time, one pawed with only his legs clinging to the tree. Fastooth scanned the branch directly below him, growling. A stupid looking tree rat slept right where he would fall, stretched out along the limb like some revolting cat. If Fastooth landed just right he could crush the other rodent's windpipe, but still cling to the tree. A risky maneuver but the only option he had.

"Righty matey, if'n ye don' mind. Give me some warnin' right 'afore th' rope gives." Fastooth stretched out his paws, ready to feel the sudden drop, his ankles screaming in protest as the rope vibrated. His legs would still be tied together when he fell, if Anybeast woke up they'd both be dead for sure.

~*~*~

Duncan's paw on his shoulder was comforting, but the gentle pressure did little to convince Bracklew he was wrong. Standing he gave a small nod. "Alright, let's check." But he's not in there, I know it. He added to himself.