Ranks

Started by Icefire, August 12, 2011, 11:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icefire

I don't know if you've already done something like this, but I've been to forums where the higher the post you get a different "rank". I know you have these ranks because I'm a junior member, but I was wondering if you have Redwall-themed ranks for the higher ranks. For example, when you hit 1,000 posts become a drill sergeant, when you hit 20,000 become a badger lord, etc.
Sorry if you already have these, I haven't seen anyone with a rank above full member and I think that's where it started changing on the other forum.

Does any of this make sense?
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Lutra

Yes, I have used similar systems at boards in the past.  Its a good idea if implemented correctly.  Its up to the admins if they want to utilize it but not entirely necessary.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Icefire

Yeah, it's not at all necessary. It's just for the fun of it. Of course, being a total CD (Computer Dummy) I don't know how much work it is to set up such things.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Lutra

Depends on the forum system.  Never used SMF before to know how difficult it is.  Most forum systems its quite simple to do.  The harder part is figuring out what outranks the previous rank.  ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

DanielofRedwall

Well, we already have jnr member, snr member etc, but it would be cool if they were re-named Redwally things. Like newbie becomes dibbun etc.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

Yeah, that would be cool.  8)
I like that idea!  ;D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

The Lady Shael

It's a great idea, but the staff thinks the ranking system is okay for the time being. We'll definitely keep this idea on the shelf though, and we might institute a Redwall-related ranking system in the future. :) Thanks for the suggestion, Icefire.

In case you guys are curious, here are the ranks right now:

Newbie - 0 posts
Jr. Member - 50 posts
Full Member - 100 posts
Sr. Member - 250 posts
Hero Member - 500 posts

Please remember these ranks don't necessarily mean you are a good poster. Anyone can make 500 posts, but not everyone can make them meaningful. A true good member puts thought and purpose into every post.
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

rakkety tam

i was bored so heres i how i think the ranking system should be if this ever happens

0 posts dibbun

50 posts redwaller

100 posts friar

250 redwall champian

50 posts abbot/abbess

just my opinion
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Coobreedan

Or:

Newbie---------Dibbun
Jr Member---------Redwaller
Full Member---------Brother
Sr Member---------Abbot
Hero Member----------Warrior
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Or:

Dibbun
Novice
Redwaller
Redwall Champion
Abbot/Abess
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Nightfire

You know, HiaG, if you switch around the Abbess/abbot with the Redwall champion, then I like it. ;D
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah put the arrangement due tae experience.

Dibbun- Little tae nae experiense
Novice- A zmall amount o' experience, but ztill learnin'
Redwaller- A good amount o' expereinse, average, normal
Redwall Champion- A greater amount o' experiense than the onez before
Abbot/Abess- Heavily experiensed, auld, wize, etc...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

James Gryphon

The problem is that someone may have many posts, and still little experience or wisdom, or few posts, of high quality.

If I had to make custom member ranks, I suppose I'd make them based on food-related titles.

The top ranks with the most posts being like "Champion Scoffer" or "Glutton" and the lowest ones, the opposite of that, with the comparison being making posts to eating food.

That way the focus is on quantity, not quality. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Lutra

Or the mods can give you one. ;)  Had been to a board where you sometimes earned a title based on what you did or what you said.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Coobreedan

That's a good idea  :)
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.