News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Essay: Vermin siege tactics

Started by Izeroth, January 08, 2015, 06:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

I think the reason they didn't have siege weapons was because of a lack of numbers. You have to remember the average Human army of that era was around ten thousand give or take a lot. The average warlord army from Redwall universe was maybe five hundred. That's a big difference, with such a tiny number constructing and operating such equipment would be frustrating to your over-all efforts. I remember it took Cluny nearly a week to construct a siege tower...
Plus, you have construction statistics, of those five hundred creatures how many do you think have any idea how to make a catapult? 

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on January 08, 2015, 07:08:50 AM
Nice tips, but why are you on the side of the vermin. Also that diplomacy thing, it was used in a way by vikings who pretended that their leader was dead and in the church, the box in which the "dead" leader was in opened and the leader tossed weapons to all of his men and they slaughtered everyone in the city and lived happily ever after. Fin.

This happened in Marlfox, with the liberation of baby Dwopple.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on February 02, 2015, 12:24:14 AM

I think the reason they didn't have siege weapons was because of a lack of numbers. You have to remember the average Human army of that era was around ten thousand give or take a lot. The average warlord army from Redwall universe was maybe five hundred. That's a big difference, with such a tiny number constructing and operating such equipment would be frustrating to your over-all efforts. I remember it took Cluny nearly a week to construct a siege tower...
Plus, you have construction statistics, of those five hundred creatures how many do you think have any idea how to make a catapult? 

A warlord could hire mercenaries or locals to do the work for him. If not, he himself could always supervise the work.
Mind you, dumb vermin didn't become warlords, the smart ones, like Cluny, did.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Hickory

Quote from: Izeroth on January 10, 2015, 10:08:28 PM
Redwall doesn't have any ballistae or catapults because it's a place of peace! Putting catapults or ballistae up would send the wrong message. As for Salamandastron, maybe there weren't any good spots to install them?
In Outcast, the author said tht catapaults were used against Swartt.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Feles

did that "catapult their heads" idea come from LoTR by any chance

few tips of my own...

Tactic on the field: Get behind the enemy, a very demoralizing tactic for the enemy

Trojan horse bro, trojan horse

SIEGE WEAPONS, get some (battering rams and  siege artillery)

Cavalry, is it too much to ask for

Be creative (starting to sound like an art teacher now, aren't I)

As for vermin leaders: don't ever underestimate (it will kill you)

Words of advice: $1.00
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Izeroth

And where, do you suppose, would a vermin warlord get some cavalry?

Feles

I asked if it was too much, but grass snake cavalry is completely possible, not adders though, definitely not adders
I am Bobracha!

Izeroth

I don't know. I doubt a snake would ever allow a vermin to ride it. Perhaps, though...

Feles

not a normal vermin no, but a grass snake would probably allow Cluny or a lizard to ride it
I am Bobracha!

cairn destop

Yes, I know this is an old topic.

For those of you considering writing battles, keep a copy of Sun Tzu's "Art of War" handy.  Good tactics adhere to his principles.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: CpnRake335 on February 21, 2015, 07:22:42 PM
I asked if it was too much, but grass snake cavalry is completely possible, not adders though, definitely not adders

Snakes lack the speed to deliver a devastating charge. They could cause fear, but would act like elephants in that matter.

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Nadaz, voice of the host

The beaver and Constance made a ballista in book one.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Jack the Quick

Wow. Great idea! I will definitely use this.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Nadaz, voice of the host

Quote from: Jack the Quick on June 14, 2019, 12:28:37 AM
Wow. Great idea! I will definitely use this.
Dare I ask how you are going to use this?
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Jack the Quick

'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!