News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Deathspear: A Tale of Before Redwall

Started by Groddil, November 16, 2015, 02:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like this so far?

GAAAH! THIS IS AMAZING!
0 (0%)
It's pretty good.
7 (87.5%)
No Opinion.
0 (0%)
Not really...
0 (0%)
This is awful *vomits*
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Groddil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DISCLAIMER: This story is a work of fanfiction and is not canon. Characters and settings that appear in this story and have appeared or been mentioned in actual Redwall books may be represented in a different way than Brian Jacques intended. THIS IS NOT CANON!!!

NOTE: Sorry about the bad map quality, a better one should be coming some time soon courtesy of Sagetip, the Hare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prologue
It had been a brutal winter, but the snow, thankfully, was starting to melt. Gingivere laid back in an armchair near the fire. He was glad he could relax with his family. The last few seasons had not been kind to him, but at least Mossflower was at peace. His friends, Martin and the others, had built a great Abbey called Redwall, a place where anybeast could go to live in peace. Gingivere wished he could count himself among them, but his presence could cause a stir. Besides, he was content. He still got visitors. The wildcat stared into the flames as Lady Sandingomm brought their young ones into the farmhouse. She took them into the kitchen where a plate of vittles sat on the table and returned to Gingivere.
"I saw Ferdy and Coggs coming up the path. We might need to get some more food."
Gingivere forgot his weary paws and sprang from his seat.
"Ferdy and Coggs? I haven't seen them in three seasons! They must have been busy."
He took a lantern from the wall and stepped from the farmhouse to the path. Waving his paw, he hailed his two friends.
"Ferdy! Coggs! Where have you been?"
The two fully grown hedgehogs clad in thick coats staggered through the remains of the snow. Coggs handed a bulging haversack to his friend.
"We've been busy, Gingivere. We were snowed in all winter, and the harvests were plentiful. We brought you these."
The action warmed Gingivere's heart. Kindness like this was unheard of back in the days before Redwall.
"Thank you Coggs. Come in, come in. Verdauga! Silvia! Come out of the kitchen and greet our friends!"
The two young wildcats shuffled in.
"Evenin' sirs. Welcome t'our home."
Gingivere rustled his children's fur.
"We got a long night ahead of us, young ones. How about a story?"
Verdauga and Silvia jumped with joy.
"Yay! Come on Daddy, tell us, tell us!"
Gingivere turned to his hedgehog friends.
"What about you? Want to stay and listen?"
Ferdy slumped into one of the armchairs.
"Don't see why not. What's it about?"
Gingivere retrieved a dusty manuscript from a shelf.
"My grandfather, the tyrant King Mortspear of the Northern Mountains, and how a united group of woodlanders, much like the ones that ended my sister's reign of terror, brought about his defeat."

Groddil

BOOK ONE:

A TYRANT'S REIGN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1
In the far north, high in the mountains of Eagle Point, was a fortress, vast and imposing. This fortress was the domain of the Mountain Tyrant: Mortspear, Wildcat King of the North. Here the going was tough, and most sensible creatures would long have packed their pitiful belongings and left, if not for the tyrant's iron paw. His vermin army ensured that peaceful creatures would never rest long, forced to farm the greener pastures in the Valley of Thistles to feed his horde. The horde was loyal to the last, partly out of respect, partly out of fear...Everything within 10 days hard marching belonged to only one: Mortspear!

The King of the North grew increasingly restless. As his army's size increased, so too did their hunger. The larders were full, but how long would that last? Even though the army grew, the slaves were dying off. A combination of hunger, thirst, and overwork was driving the woodlanders to death. Half, HALF of the communities woodlander population had died the last winter. He needed more. His kingdom would not die. Shifting in his throne, Mortspear motioned to the ferret standing vigilant at his side.
"You! Fetch Captain Nole, and make it snappy or I'll send you to Eagle's Peak."
The ferret, terrified, abandoned his spear and scrambled towards the door. He did not look when he turned the corner and ran straight into another, younger, wildcat. The wildcat bared his teeth and slew the ferret where he stood. Even Mortspear was shocked at the ferocity of his son, Ungatt Trunn. He yawned and looked at the other guard, a stoat. Mortspear raised an eyebrow, and the stoat rushed off to complete the slain ferret's duties. Looking before he turned the corner, the stoat marched down the corridor to Captain Nole's quarters. Gulping, he knocked twice, and a tall weasel opened the door and grabbed him by the throat. Captain Nole gave no quarter and asked for none, she was ruthlessly efficient, but had a soft side when the job was done right.
"What is it, stoat? Weren't you told not to disturb me."
Gasping for air, the hapless stoat gagged and pointed towards the throne room. Nole released him, grabbed her sword and cloak, and dashed to Mortspear's throne. She bowed low before the Mountain King.
"You sent for me, mighty one?"
Mortspear twirled a claw aimlessly, ignoring her. He dismissed the stoat with a flick of his paw and turned to his eldest son.
"Ungatt, I want twelve-score of your finest troops outfitted and ready to march at the main gates. Return to me when they are ready."
The younger wildcat nodded and shuffled out to the courtyard. When Mortspear was satisfied, he fixed Nole with a steely gaze.
"Captain Nole, my chief commander. You have never failed me before..."
The weasel gulped and flattened herself further into the cold ground.
"Yes mighty one. I live only to serve, my king."
Mortspear snarled.
"Speak only when I tell you to, weasel, or I will have you thrown down the mountain. I will give the orders around here. My son, Ungatt Trunn, is off to the Southlands to capture some new slaves. He is strong, but headstrong. I want you to bring me the Captain who you trust the most; He or she will accompany my son to the warm southlands. I would send you, but you are needed here for other business. Begone!"
The weasel captain backed out of the room, still facing Mortspear in a low bow.
"I live to serve you, mighty one. Your will will be carried out at once!"

Groddil

Chapter 2
Down in the valley, the town's residents toiled endlessly. Everybeast had something to do, or face no food and water. Two moles were forced to dig trenches for seeds to planted in. One of them shook a digging claw at the other.
"Hurr, oi saw the mounting king come down here two noights ago. Ee weren't very 'appy with his vermints. Ee said ee'd send 'em up to Eagle's poik if'n they dinna make oi get a move on. He looked oi roight in the eye, and oi was a tremblin' with fear, oi was."
His companion stared at him.
"Really, Durgle? If'n that akshly 'appenned, then moi name aren't Toolum!"
A blow from a spear but silenced Durgle and Toolum.
"Take 'em away! They know's not to speak when at work, distracts others."
The rat bashed his spear on his shield and called to the other woodlanders.
"These two are goin' t'the cells! This is why you always obey the Mountain King's laws, no matter what you think of 'em! GIT BACK T'WORK!"
The rat pulled the moles into a small cart used to carry vegetables and hauled them off to Mortspear's Castle.

In the dark of the cells, Captain Nole met with her most trusted associate, a pine marten assigned as Head Jailor. He had once been a captain, but had retired to a job he felt more comfortable with. This was because, despite how good he had been at the job, he was a coward. They called the Marten Ironclaw, for he had once chopped of his own paw and replaced it with one sculpted from iron. Nole knocked quietly on the old spruce door that led to the cells. Screams echoed from within as Ironclaw came swiftly from behind to rest silently at her side. Nole jumped.
"Where have you been? I haven't seen you leave the Cells in many a season."
Ironclaw toyed with the metal claw as he spoke.
"Why does it matter? Who sent you?"
Nole gulped. He already knew, he had to.
"K-King Mortspear sent me to find whomever I trusted the most, to bring to him. They would go to the Southlands to find slaves with Ungatt Trunn."
Ironclaw glared at her.
"Go down there, the place of badgers and pirates, with his majesty's eldest son, no less? You are very lucky I'm indebted to you, or I'd kill you right now for even suggesting it."
Nole took a step back.
"So you'll do it?"
Ironclaw nodded. He swirled his cloak around him and followed Nole out of the damp cells.

Groddil

Chapter 3
The rat, who would have been called Darkpaw by his friends (if he had any), had successfully dragged the cart holding the two moles up the mountain. He tied the cart to a post and prodded the captives with his spear. Durgle stirred and squinted at the Darkpaw.
"Hurr hurr, look Toolum, ee vermint be's troiyin t'slay oi. Oi 'opes oi gets lots o' vittles at Dark Forest."
Toolum hopped from the cart.
"Now look 'ere, sirs, we'm ain't done nothin' wrong, so us'n's be leavin' now. Boi boi!"
Toolum shook a digging claw at Darkpaw as he and Durgle walked down the hill.
Darkpaw was fuming. These creatures would know pain for their disrespect. He smashed Durgle over the head with his spear butt, and ran after Toolum. Darkpaw panted heavily and bent over double. He lifted the spear and threw it at Toolum. The mole whizzed around and caught the spear mid-flight, then lobbed it back at the rat. Darkpaw yelped, and ducked the spear. When he looked back up, Toolum was gone. The rat looked down the path and up at the fortress. The only mole within view was the limp form of Durgle. Darkpaw scratched his head and plodded back to the fortress, dragging Durgle behind him.

In truth, the crafty Toolum had escaped with a bit of quick thinking. He had glanced over the steep cliff at the side of the path and noticed a ledge not far down. When the rat was distracted, Toolum had leaped from the cliff and landed safely on the ledge. Toolum chuckled to himself.
"Hurr hurr, no way off'n this outcroppin!' Gudd thing oi has diggin' claws, burr aye."
The mole shifted himself on the ledge and sat facing the cliff face. He wedged his claws into the cliff face and dislodged a large boulder. He gripped the huge rock, hauled it out, and gave it a mighty shove into the Valley below. The result was a rather comfortable cave. Toolum crawled in and continued the hollowing.

Skyblade

Oh, goodness! I want to read. Just give me some time for when my head is not foggy and fuzzy and I'll get a reply for you! ;)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Groddil

No worries, Skyblade. I'm warning you now, this thing goes on forever. Here's some more for you to read!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4
Ironclaw threw himself at the Mountain King's footpaws. Behind him, Nole entered the throne room and dropped to one knee.
"Mighty one, this is the creature I trust the most."
Mortspear recognized the face of his former right-hand. He was off the throne in a flash, his claws digging into the marten's shoulder. The wildcat looked at the Iron paw, and removed it from the marten's wrist. Toying with the paw, he threw it high. The lump of metal hit the ground with a thud. Mortspear inspected it.
"Well, well. If it isn't Ironclaw, my last Commander. I remember you. You quit, said it was all too much, so you got a nice comfy job in the cells. Speaking of which, your last paw was weak, covered in scratches and dents. This one is shiny and untouched. I've no doubt you stole the metal from me, probably from one of the cell bars, but let's not dwell on the negative. Captain Nole tells me that you are the one she most trusts. Would she be correct?"
Ironclaw fumed. Why did that weasel have to choose him? If he ever got back from the Southlands, he swore an oath to slay her. Maybe he could frame her for something, then the stupid cat would leave her right in his paws. The marten spoke, trying desperately to control his anger.
"Y-yes milord. She saved m'life one day, so I've done everything she asked."
Mortspear nodded.
"Good. Here is what you must do. Look out that window there."
Ironclaw raised his head and looked with astonishment. Out in the courtyard facing the gate was twelve-score of the finest fighting beasts, Ungatt Trunn's elite Blue Battalion. Everybeast standing to attention was bathed in blue thanks to powder put in their fur when they were promoted to the Blue Battalion. At the front stood the young wildcat Ungatt Trunn, clad in chainmail with a long purple cloak draped over his shoulders. Trunn retrieved a long trident and a spiked helmet from a nearby weapon rack and addressed his troops.
"We march southwards, in search of slaves for his Mightiness King Mortspear, Lord of the Mountains. You will keep up with the marching pace or die. You are the Mighty One's finest soldiers, hearken to that, and let's get ourselves some slaves!"
A rough cheer echoed through the ranks.
Mortspear placed a heavy paw on Ironclaw's head and squeezed. He turned the marten around so that there eyes were almost touching.
"You will go with them and make sure my son does nothing foolish. If he does, give him this message so he listens to you."
Mortspear slipped a browning scroll to Ironclaw. The scroll was wrapped in a simple white ribbon, and fastened with a seal emblazoned with the likeness of a wildcat.
"Go now, Ironclaw. You had better get to the Blue Battalion before they start marching, wouldn't want to be slain for falling behind, would you?"
The wildcat gave the pine marten a hefty kick that sent him hurriedly from the Throne Room. He fixed his gaze on Captain Nole, the weasel still kneeling on one knee.
"One your feet, Captain. Meet me in the war room, we have plans to discuss!"

Groddil

Chapter 5
Outside the castle, the ground shook with the force of Ungatt Trunn's Blue Battalion on the move. In the wake of the vermin, the ground shook again, but much less. The second shaking occurred when a snout and a pair of digging claws broke the surface of the path. Toolum had surfaced! The mole felt the small army leaving through his claws, and followed them, quietly as possible. When he thought he had been seen, he would tunnel below and surface some distance away. In truth, the Blue Battalion was too busy worrying about what would happen if they fell behind to keep a look out. This would prove to be their undoing...

High above the castle at Eagle's Peak, where the mountain met the sky, a huge nest had been built from twigs and leaves. This nest belonged to Alpina, and was where her chick Argulor had hatched. The young eagle had an insatiable hunger, so Alpina was constantly on the hunt for food. She found that the easiest way to feed Argulor was to attack the Nix Praesidium, Mortspear's castle. Three times a day, Mortspear found his soldiers disappearing, while that damned bird flew away contently. Sure, it thinned out the numbers a bit, and food lasted longer, but that bird had to go. As long as it kept killing his soldiers, the townsfolk continued to joke and cajole, kept whispering behind closed doors. If the army's numbers dropped too much, how could they defend the fortress? Mortspear relayed this to Nole and several of his other Captains who didn't already have their paws full. As he spoke, he armed himself.
"...So that's why you're here. You are the best captains I can spare, which is why you're coming with me up to Eagle's Peak to kill that wretched bird. Nole, Verdauga! I want your forces rallied now. I want archers, slingers, beasts armed with spears. If it can hit something out of the sky, I want them armed with it. Make them wear full armor, including helmets and shields. Give them heavy packs filled with rocks. If they're heavy enough, that eagle won't be able to lift them, so we shouldn't lose as many troops. Away with you!"
The two other captains in the meeting struck up conversation as they left the war room. The rat Shorttail whispered to his companion, a ferret named Bloodlips.
"Best captains 'ee can spare. Y'know what that means, doncha."
Bloodlips nodded sagely.
"Aye, matey. T'means we's the best fighters 'ee can afford to let die. Well we won't give 'im the pleasure, we's gonna live, and we's gonna bring down that birdy."

Groddil

Chapter 6
It was some time later when Durgle awoke. The mole had bad eyesight, but he could sense that he was underground. It was dark, and when Durgle pulled himself off the ground and took a step forward, he ran straight into cold metal bars. Squinting closer, he deduced that he was in a prison cell. The mole glanced hazily around, and made out more sets of bars in the darkness. He had to be in a jail. He rubbed the back of his head where Darkpaw had hit him with the butt of his spear.
"Burr, oi'm in a jail an' moi noggin' hurts gurtly. Wunnerful."
Durgle tapped a footpaw to the ground. It was made of bricks, but had been done shoddily, rushed. His face lit up. He could get out of here easily.
"Well stan' on moi tunnel. Oi'll be out of here afore sundown! All oi 'as t'do is pull up these rocks an' tunnel out through 'ee dirt."

It was well after noon when Ungatt Trunn called a halt. The young wildcat cast off his armor and called Ironpaw to him.
"So you're the one my father sent to spy on me...I knew it."
He grabbed the marten by the throat and turned to the Blue Battalion.
"You can rest here. Water from the stream, food from your packs. We march in an hour, so don't let me catch you napping!"
That business concluded, he tightened his hold on Ironpaw.
"The only question is...why?" he released the marten, "TELL ME!"
Ironpaw massaged his throat.
"Th-the M-M-Mighty One thinks that y-you are...*gulp* headstrong, sir."
Ungatt snarled at swatted Ironpaw with his sharp claws, clipping a few whiskers but being just far back to not do any real damage. The young wildcat kicked and screeched until Ironpaw turned on his heels and fled.

Groddil

Chapter 7
Mortspear stared at the assembled force. Five-score of soldiers outfitted in the heaviest armor carrying bows and slings. Mortspear pawed a javelin and addressed the troops.
"Listen to me, all of you. No longer do we live in fear. No longer are we mocked by our slaves! No longer does that damned eagle prey on and kill us. We are going to send that thing to Hellgates!"
Cheers rose from the army.
"Fast march, to Eagle's Peak!"
Another cheer shook the mountains as the army marched double-time up the mountain.

Ignoring Trunn's orders, the Blue Battalion snoozed quietly in the afternoon sun, unaware of the hundreds of pairs of eyes watching them intently. Gillaina, Squirrel Queen of the Northern Pine Forests, nodded silently to her followers. To those who got to know her, who broke through her tough exterior, Gillaina was merciful and listened to what you had to say...unless you were a vermin. She had lost a mate to Mortspear's troops, and her heart burned with insatiable vengeance. Readying bows they set fire to their tar-dipped arrows, and fired. Pandemonium ensued. Vermin ran around like owls that had lost their heads, while flames licked at the trees. Gillaina dropped from her perch and whirled a loaded sling like a club, dealing hefty blows to the Blue-furred soldiers. Her bushy tail went limp and she ducked. Slingstones whizzed into Ungatt Trunn's canp from unseen assailants as Gillaina scaled the tree. She hung from a branch next to one of her younger archers.
"Junter, report, now!"
The rough male squirrel notched an arrow to his bowstring.
"Twelve-score blue-furred vermin, led by a Wildcat. We've got 'em burned in and surrounded. From what I can see we've already slain two-score and a half. We'll have those vermin scum buried before this day is over!"
Ungatt Trunn tried desperately to organize his rabble, but chaos reigned supreme. Bounding over to Ironclaw, he gripped the marten in a death grip.
"Ironclaw! Get a score of troops with pikes and organize a charge."
He turned to the rabble and stopped them in their tracks with a deafening screech.
"STOP! GET YOURSELVES ORGANIZED, OR I SWEAR, I WILL KILL YOU ALL MYSELF! I want archers, two ranks in the front. First rank, shoot, drop, reload. Second rank, shoot, drop, reload. Every other beast get pikes and spears and get yourselves in charge formation. Nobeast ambushes the Blue Battalion!"

Groddil

Chapter 8
Toolum had been tailing the Blue Battalion for a considerable length of time, struggling to keep up with their quick pace. When he turned the corner of the path, he found them locked in a battle with an unknown foe. Toolum knew if he stood around he would be slain, so he ran as fast as his legs could carry him back to the Valley of Thistles. He had to make contact with the others, without being seen by any vermin. The mole hid behind a large stone and started to dig. His forepaws tore chunks from the Earth which his footpaws kicked out of the tunnel. Thankfully, the stone hid both tunnel and Earth, or he would have been discovered quicker than a badger among mice. Eventually, the mole's digging claws felt no vibrations from above ground, and he poked his head out. Scrambling out of the tunnel, he disguised it with a nearby cart of vegetables and pretended to harvest until he was next to a hedgehog.
"Hurr, oi ain't sen you in a whoile, zurr Spinetingle."
Spinetingle's spikes stood on end.
"I thought you and Durgle had been captured by that rat. What happened, and where is he?"
"Durgle been taken to Nix Praysdum, him's been killed or imprisoned for sure, burr aye!"
The hedgehog shook his head.
"If he's still alive, we should go rescue him. Surely you've got a plan."
Toolum winked at Spinetingle.
"See that cart over thurr, oi hid me tunnel under it. We can escape through me tunnel an' go up 'ee cliff face t'the castle."
The hedgehog's face lit up.
"That means if we get out, I'm free." he looked around at the other slaves, "We'll have to come back here, Toolum. Free the others after we rescue Durgle."
Toolum nodded.
"Oi swear it on me tunnel, we'll come back an' rescue all these slavebeasts!"
With no more words to be said, the two worked their way over to Toolum's tunnel. While Spinetingle crawled through, Toolum sealed it behind him. When the two escapees were out of sight, Toolum beckoned Spinetingle to follow him.
"Burr, come on zurr, 'ee next tunnel be's this way!"

Ungatt Trunn's vengeance was absolute. For every hordebeast slain, the wildcat's troops took down six squirrels. His cunning plan had involved directing the fire from the squirrels' own arrows into the trees. When they were forced to the ground, the charge decimated them. The survivors, which numbered five, including Queen Gillain and Junter, were the first to be chained into the slave line. Ungatt faced the new slaves with a whip.
"Hearken to me, squirrels. You are now slaves of King Mortspear, Wildcat King of the North. You disobey, you get starved and whipped. You don't hold your own, you get starved and whipped. You don't keep up, you die. We are on our way to boats bound southward. There is a likely chance you won't survive the voyage. If you do, you will row the ship with the other oarslaves. If you don't, your body gets fed to the fishes. Understand?"
The wildcat cracked the whip over the squirrel's heads. Gillaina snarled.
"We will never bow down to you, cat."
Trunn dealt her a heavy blow with his paw.
"You do exactly what I say, bushtail. Mark my words, you will be BROKEN afore your journey's done."
The wildcat turned to his Blue Battalion.
"Quick march on the double, I want us at the port before dawn tomorrow. If the slaves don't keep up, slay them. Let their companions drag their bodies as extra weight."

Groddil

Chapter 9
The mountain of Eagle's Point was the tallest in the Northern Range, and where Mortspear and his armies had settled. They didn't bother to find out how the mountain got its name, and so every day they lost a soldier. Mortspear had put up with it for this long, but when Alpina had started to take slaves, a valuable commodity in short suppy, he couldn't turn a blind eye anymore. As his army carved a path through the snow, scaling the treacherous path to Eagle's Peak, the wildcat king saw Alpina take off for her daily hunt, and threw a javelin. The eagle was too far out of reach, but the javelin succeeded in what Mortspear had intended to do. Alert her to their location. Alpina glanced lazily at the missile that turned and fell well before it hit her. The foolish earthcrawlers could not harm her, but they did look tasty! She let loose an ear-piercing screech and plummeted towards the soldiers. Well aware of their lord's plan, the soldiers had already raised shields, and the eagle crashed into these with a soft thud, bounced off, and took to the air again. Mortspear snarled at how easily the prey had escaped.
"Captain Nole, take three of the best archers with you and get up to the nest. That'll lure 'er down."
The weasel gulped. This was a suicide mission and the king knew it. Nole tried to appear cold and confident, but her voice still faltered.
"R-right away, M-M-Mighty One."
Nole gestured to a group of rats that included Darkpaw and Shorttail to follow her, and set about the difficult climb up the last stretch of mountain.

Toolum and Spinetingle stared in awe at the imposing bulk of Nix Praesidium, towering over all as a symbol to slavery and hatred. Spinetingle felt a shiver go down his spikes.
"Are you sure 'bout this, Toolum? Do we really have t'go in there?"
Toolum shook a digging claw at the hedgehog.
"Course we do, zurr. Oi 'as t'rescue moi gurt friend. If'n you wants to stay behoind you can, but stan' on moi tunnel, oi'm going to save Durgle!"
Spinetingle shook the mole's paw.
"Then I guess I'm with ye. Rather be in there with you than out 'ere on me own."
Toolum crawled through his tunnel into the cave on the ledge.
"Then what are we waitin' for? Oi'll dig, you throw the soil off'n this ledge, zurr!"

Captain Tammo

Wow, rapid-fire with the chapter releases! Can't wait to start reading this one, Groddil! I'll go back and edit this comment when I've caught up. For now, I'm still finishing up my midterms at college, so give me just a couple days ;)

EDIT: This is cool! The origins of Trunn and Verdauga is never really touched on in the canon books and I like seeing how others imagine things may have gone. I also like how you've split things up with the relatively short chapters (I like being able to knock out a chapter or two on my phone walking from one place to another :) )

Looking forward to reading the rest of this story in the coming weeks!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Groddil

Chapter 10
Ungatt Trunn's Blue Battalion stopped marching at the Port of Saltstone. The town was a curious affair, carved from stone on the shores of the sea. Ships came and went, from the smallest merchant trader to the largest corsair slave ship. Among the largest was Mortspear's private Three-Masted Barque, the Snow Demon. The wildcat marched his troops aboard and beckoned the ship's captain, a sinewy fox, clad in earrings, tattoos, and jewelry (a real corsair to the last), named Januul. The fox adjusted the cutlass on his belt and marched over to Trunn.
"Yew Ungatt Trunn, son of King Mortspear and commander of the Blue Battalion?"
Ungatt nodded and motioned to his blue-died soldiers.
"You see any other group of blue vermin led by a wildcat around here? I want us already put out to sea by dawn tomorrow, so get your crew ready, with three score oarslaves. Chain these squirrels with them, put them on the bottom deck with little food and don't spare the whip."
Januul saluted smartly with his cutlass and sauntered back onshore. The fox kicked a group of drunken rats lounging by the gangplank and marched into one of the stone buildings.

Durgle had encountered a problem. Getting the loose bricks out of the cell floor was easy...Digging through the ground was not. Mortspear was not foolish, he knew there would always be brave beasts that tried to escape his prison, so he built his Nix Praesidium on a huge deposit of granite and solid rock. The mole had removed and replaced every single brick in his cell, including the walls and roof, but every way was just more damned rock. He threw a piece of mortar at the solid rock wall, where it promptly shattered. Durgle grunted with frustration.
"Hurr, how do oi get out of 'ere. 'Tis impen'trable. If only oi could get through these bars, oi'd be out of 'ere quicker 'n a hare eats vittles, burr aye!"
Durgle sat down in disgust, but a faint sound reached his ears.
"Stop complainin', mole. Yer disruptin' me escape attempt!"
The mole stood up and rattled the bars.
"'Ow? 'Ow are yew gonna 'scape?"
The voice yelled back, slightly louder this time.
"I've pried some of the bricks from the back o' my cell an' found dirt. 'Tis too hard to dig out, twould take a season. But now that I knows you're in 'ere, mole, I can git out easily. There's a missin' bar in me cell, y'see. Dunno where it is, an' I don't care. I'm not eatin' all me rations, once I gets thin enough, I can squeeze out, find the key, and git yew outta yer cell. Yew can dig us outta 'ere. Sit tight, mole, I 'as a feelin' this Winter's gonna be a hard one."
A tear fell from Durgle's eye.
"'Scape? Thankee, zurr. Thankee so much!"

Captain Nole's team dragged themselves up the last mound of loose shale and mantled the side of the nest. Nole kicked at the young eagle, Argulor, and notched arrow to bowstring. She signaled to the rats to do the same as a bolt from the blue stuck the nest. Shorttail's scream was cut short as Alpina tore his head from his body. Nole loosed the arrow, which thudded into Alpina's wing. The eagle gave a screech and fell to Earth. The hunter had become the hunted. Alpina could do nothing but hop away from the vermin. Nole motioned to Darkpaw and his rats, who twirled loaded slings. Heavy stones knocked the eagle flat, and Mortspear was to her in an instant. He raised his huge javelin and thrust it deep into Alpina's flesh. The eagle gave one last screech of rage and went limp. Mortspear bared his teeth and screamed at the heavens.
"I AM MORTSPEAR, KING OF THE NORTH! NONE CAN DEFY ME, NONE CAN SLAY ME! MY RULE IS ABSOLUTE AND STRETCHED FURTHER THAN THE EYE CAN SEE! I AM INVINCIBLE!"

Januul kept his word. By sundown the fox's crew had trimmed the sails and threescore oarslaves plus the five squirrels pulled strongly at the oars while they still had strength, pushing the Barque into the surf, where the wind caught the sails and the bird with twenty wings disappeared forever from the city of Saltstone. Aboard, Ungatt Trunn had taken up residence in his father's former stateroom. The ship had not sailed in so long that cobwebs had formed in the corners of the room, built carefully by several spiders. The wildcat watched with fascination as flies buzzed around the room, coming to rest in the sticky prisons, where they were devoured. Ungatt smiled. Cunning, just like him. He could grow to like spiders. So mysterious and deadly. The wildcat relayed this information to Januul, who brought food to the cabin. The fox was rather disturbed by Ungatt Trunn's particular interest in the way the spiders trapped the flies to eat later, alive. Hurriedly, Januul placed the plate of victuals before the wildcat and rushed from the stateroom, bumping into a ferret. Januul gave a harsh whisper to the ferret, who nodded contently. The wildcat wasn't normal, they would have to watch him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That marks the end of Book 1, A Tyrant's Reign. I'll start posting Book 2 soon.

Lady Ashenwyte

I liked it, but there should be more character development. Right now the characters seem  a bitstale and forgettable. (No offense)
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Groddil

Thanks for letting me know, Ashenwyte. I've gone back and changed it a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BOOK TWO:

South to Mossflower

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 11

The Winter had been brutal, but Spring had come at last. Spinetingle sat atop a rock and watched the sun rise, as the snow layer gradually began to melt. The other slaves at Nix Praesidium knew about the plight of the hedgehog and the mole, so they left food at the entrance to the hole. Spinetingle munched on a scone as he ducked his head into Toolum's tunnel. The mole had dug tirelessly all winter trying to break into the fortress, to no avail. Everywhere he dug was just rock, rock, rock. He had tunneled left and right, up and down, and still there was no way into Mortspear's castle except through the front gate. The filthy mole dusted himself off and leaned against a wall in exhaustion. Spinetingle stepped over him and offered a flagon of water. Toolum accepted it gratefully and spoke between sips.
"Burr, oi 'aven't found a single way in from down 'ere. Oi been a'diggin' all through the Winner, an' there still ain't any dirt!"
Spinetingle helped the mole up.
"If we can't get in from down here after a whole season, we may as well find another plan."
The mole shook his head.
"But what do we do, zurr? Ain't nobeasts up 'ere that can 'elp us. They's all slaves!"
Spinetingle winked.
"Who says we have to find 'em up 'ere. Dincha hear? Ungatt Trunn took 'is vermin to go capture slaves from the South. If we follows the way 'ee went, we can go recruit some 'elp!"
Toolum was still doubtful.
"Hurr hurr, Trunn's got a whole season o' marching ahead of us. All 'ee beasts down there'll be slaves by the time we gets there!"
The hedgehog threw his arms wide.
"Then we rescue the slaves!"

Ungatt Trunn sat on a coil of rope below decks. He gave a menacing grin at the oarslaves.
"Pull harder, slaves. We're short of vittles on this ship, if'n you can't pull, you know where you'll end up."
An old squirrel, one of the survivors of Gillaina's band, spat on the wildcat's footpaw.
"Maybe if you didn't take all the vittles for yerself, there would still be enough for us and the crew!"
Trunn dealt the old squirrel a hefty blow with his claws. The squirrel grunted and kept rowing, trying to ignore the burning pain seeping through his back. The wildcat grabbed the squirrel's head and twisted it to face him.
"LOOK AT ME WHEN I TALK TO YOU, SCUM!"
A resounding crack echoed through the deck as the squirrel's eyes rolled back into his head. The old one went limp and Ungatt Trunn stepped back from the body. He snarled at the crew.
"Well, well. Look what happens when you don't listen to me. Row harder, you'll have to now that that one's gone."
Gillaina bared her teeth and fiddled with her chains. She couldn't free herself, but she COULD free someone else. She pushed her oar forwards and hooked it around the end of Junter's oar. He threw her weight onto her oar, and the end of Junter's snapped off under the force. The squirrel queen reached forwards and tapped him. Junter smiled and wrenched the remains of the oar into the ship. Wielding it like a club, the young squirrel rushed at Ungatt Trunn. The wildcat sidestepped and tripped the squirrel. The wildcat snatched the rope coil and threw the end around Junter. Raising the rope to the squirrel's throat, Ungatt proceeded to throttle him. When the squirrel collapsed, the wildcat called to Januul, who had come running at the sounds of battle, brandishing his cutlass.
"Januul! Take this thing to the deck and tie it to the heaviest thing you can find, then I want the slaves lined up on the deck. NOW!"
Januul scurried off.
"Yes Mighty One, it willl be done at once Mighty One. You, ferret. Grab that squirrel and bring him up to the deck. Ironpaw, unchain the slaves and march them to the deck."