News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Jobs at Redwall We Don't See

Started by Captain Tammo, February 19, 2018, 11:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

I'm re-reading The Sable Quean and in the beginning of the story, Redwall is having a singing / poetry contest to determine who is to be made the official "Bard of Redwall". This got me thinking about 1.) how cool it would have been to see a bard on a big adventure with some heroes in Redwall (though I suppose Sir Harry the Muse from Mattimeo was as close as one could get) and 2.) if there were any other roles at Redwall that we didn't really get to see throughout the series.

Has anybody ever seen a weird occupation or have some ideas as to what some could be?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

sunflashtheace

Well in the bellmaker blaggut is "named" the official boatbuilder of redwall abbey and then moves to a cove near the sea.

Ashleg

The role may disappear after the creature dies.

sunflashtheace

GabyBrillante

Boorab the hare in Taggerung becomes the Music Master. I don't know what happens to him afterwards.
(Hi, new user here!)

Ashleg

'Ello, I'm Ashleg! Resident loony marten and forum overlord, obviously. There's an introduction thread in the Front Lawns if'n ye want to say hi to everybeast.

The Skarzs

Boorab probably was just an entertainer, and it was nothing really but a title.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hazelrah42

There's actually a lot here we don't see, in Redwall, Abbot Mortimer mentions a sandal maker, but we have to remember that Redwall Abbey is a self sustaining community that is sufficient for all of their needs. This means we have to get relatively detailed. There would of course be the sandal makers but also candle makers, cheese makers, blacksmiths, carpenters, and a host of other positions we could think of. Even the coopers (barrel makers) would have had an active job down in the Abbey Cellars :)

The Skarzs

Multiple jobs might be taken by a single creature, though. Some tasks might be similar enough to each other that it would make sense to double up, and in the relatively small community that Redwall was, there probably wouldn't be the need for a sandal maker or bottle maker to be making the same items all the time. (It's not like they had manufacturing and consumerism we have and see in our lives.) We see the Cellarkeepers (among others) making cheese, as well as having a small forge for making barrel bands.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

@The Skarzs true, but while the sandal makers / candle makers / etc. Might not be busy all the time making item after item, it could buy them time to either put more effort into the quality of their work (say, selecting just the right leather for those sandals and shaping it as well as they can), or maybe they just use their extra time to work on all their other chores and enjoy life in the abbey?

I wonder if there's an abbey laundry beast...?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tungro

Quote from: Captain Tammo on January 17, 2020, 02:33:46 AM
I wonder if there's an abbey laundry beast...?
I seem to remember that an infirmary sister was mentioned to do it