Matthias- Bad Warrior but Good Strategist

Started by Gulo, August 21, 2011, 03:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorath

My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

AbbotAlf0805

I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Redwallfan7

When I read Redwall for the first time, I thought he did a good job of giving Cluny a taste of his own medicine
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dante8002

Yalahoo!

Dante8002

Yalahoo!

clunylooney

Quote from: Gulo on August 21, 2011, 03:01:37 AM
In both Redwall and Mattimeo Matthias is described as and is a natural leader/strategist however IMO he is a bad warrior. For example in Redwall with his final showdown with Cluny the Scourge he betrays his word and his honour after cutting the bell and killing Cluny with it even though Cluny had kept his side of the bargain and let friar hugo in the book and cornflower in the movie go. He did this because he could not defeat Cluny in one on one combat. Then later on in Mattimeo he makes a deal with Nadaz that the winner takes all and then when he loses to the Wearet Orlando ends up slaying Wearet and they fight the black robes irregardless even though they lost the deal and matthias had betrayed his honour once again. Then he almost gets slain by Slaggar when he falls from the plateau after his battle with the wearet and the stoning of malkaris and the freeing of the slaves. He is only rescued from death at the hands of Slagar because of the freed slaves.

What is everyone elses' opinion on matthias??
Matthias never said that he wouldn't kill Cluny, he just said he'd come down. Also, it wasn't Matthias who killed the Wearet, if anything you should be mad at Orlando. Matthias is nowhere near my favorite hero, but he was still a great protagonist. Also, why are you saying that he betrayed his honor because the slaves killed Malkarris and helped Matthias from being killed by Slagar? Having your life saved doesn't mean that your honor goes away :P
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

clunylooney

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 02, 2011, 10:56:39 AM
I can only think of one thing the Abbey named after him, the Matthias bell -- and that was just one of two. Besides, it makes sense to name the new bell after him when he broke the old one in the line of duty. ;)

Of course, his child is named (partially) after him, but that's not uncommon in familial circles, and I don't think that's what you're referring to.

I wish they had named the bells, the Methusela and Mortimer Bells. Why does Mortimer have to be forgotten?  >:(
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me