News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Brian's TV Introductions

Started by TW, November 22, 2013, 10:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Ironbeak

I still want these. This topic has been down for a year, almost...has ANYONE come across them?

Really, I'd like all the PBS filler segments.

TW

It's funny that the first topic I created is the first one I see upon my return.

Looking back, the general consensus was that they are MIA. We've confirmed that there were never any DVD or VHS release for the intros. The topic kind of died after that. I asked if any other members had recorded the episodes on their original run (I don't know if they were included in reruns or not). I thought someone early on in the topic said that they had VHS recordings somewhere, but nothing ever came of it.

I'd like very much to find these, too. I think it's very likely that someone out there recorded them and still has them. I know the condition and quality might not be the best, but if we search we might come across something someday.
"In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It's not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

The Skarzs

We actually have a tape with a couple of those filler segments, one where fans answer a couple quiz questions on the series, and another where some people reenact how cloth was made in the olden times. However, the latter was cut short. I think there was also a bit where Brian explained some of his characters, like how Basil- and all hare characters afterwards- was characterized after a friend of his (who talked just like him), and how he came up with 'Asmodeous' (spelling?) as the name for an adder.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

TW

That's amazing! If you know where they are and know someone with a VHS to DVD converter, you should definitely copy them so that they could be put online. I wouldn't suggest going out and getting one yourself since it seems like they can be pretty expensive. From what I've heard, some tech stores will do a conversion for you. I suggest not doing anything that would cost money. If you don't have access to any kind of converter, I would suggest just setting the VHS aside so that you know where it is.

If I find an easy way to do the conversion, I'll edit the original post.

Out of curiosity, do you know what episodes these go with?
"In my books there is life and death. Goodies get killed as well as baddies. It's not like Walt Disney where there are singing teapots and we all go over the hill singing bobbidy-bobbidy-boo at the end so goodies get killed as well as baddies." -Brian Jacques

The Skarzs

I'm afraid I don't. :-\
My grandmother taped some Redwall episodes and stuff, and it's been a while since we've put the tape into the player. I don't know anyone with a converter, neither do I have any way to upload them to the internet.
Sorry for the disappointing news.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

TW

That's quite alright. I'm just glad to hear that someone does have them recorded. It helps prove my point that VHS recordings of them aren't impossible to find.

LordTBT

Quote from: General Ironbeak on September 20, 2014, 05:47:24 AM
I still want these. This topic has been down for a year, almost...has ANYONE come across them?

Really, I'd like all the PBS filler segments.

The Redwall Wiki has been searching for these for quite some time...finding people with their recorded VHS tapes from over a decade ago is a bit of a task ;)

The Skarzs - A local library or a local university/college should be able to help you with both of those tasks, and the Redwall Wiki would be happy to host them on our YouTube channel.

Lutra

The Skarzs - I've seen people use their cameras or phones to video record the TV while the tape is playing.  It won't be the best quality, but it will at least be digitally preserved.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

TW

The biggest problem with searching for the VHS recordings is that they degrade as they get older. I think multiple viewings also degrade the VHS.

Has anyone ever tried to get in touch with PBS or Nelvana about these? It's still a longshot, but they might still have the intros. Even if they don't, they might be able to explain exactly why the intros were never added into DVD and VHS releases.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if they played these just on the first run of an episode, or if they were included in repeats?

LordTBT

Quote from: TW on September 25, 2014, 04:54:47 PM

Has anyone ever tried to get in touch with PBS or Nelvana about these? It's still a longshot, but they might still have the intros. Even if they don't, they might be able to explain exactly why the intros were never added into DVD and VHS releases.

Yes. They don't respond to emails. I've tried many times over the years. They won't even respond to the Redwall TV series copyright violations found online.

General Ironbeak

Quote from: TW on November 22, 2013, 11:44:42 PM
I couldn't recall a specific place I'd heard about, just that I came across some mentions of it in different places. I did a quick Google search and found a part of The Long Patrol site that actually had transcripts of these scenes. They're actually pretty interesting and some of it is stuff I didn't know even after looking around for old interviews and book tour videos. It would be nice to see the actual scenes.

Here's the link: http://rwtv.longpatrolclub.com/bj_s1.html

Something else I wanted to bring up, have any of Brian old songs from The Liverpool Fishermen ever turned up online? I might post a separate thread for that in the Other Works forum. I just think it would be nice to have easy access to his older works. It's a shame they've become so hard to find.

I've known about this for years...why did the reviews stop? And who wrote them?

Grond

Old topic but i think i have some pertinent info to share on this topic. I actually have all 3 seasons of Redwall on VHS laying around somewhere in my house and they do include BJ's intros and explanations. Problem is they were recorded on different VHS tapes- there is a bunch of tapes not just one containing them all. His intros talk about the characters and the episode- one is describing how Cluny got his name- the scourge due to his wipe like tail and that he is a large rat etc... there is another one describing asmodeous the adder- BJ oddly enough mentions how an adder will even eat a small dog. Also thee intros only continued partially into season 2. Around mid season 2 BJ stopped doing them and just the episode would play (at least that is how it was on Canadian tv- not sure about elsewhere).

Anyway to get to the point- I know I have all of these episodes on various VHS tapes which are somewhere in my house, likely in a box in the basement. Assuming I can find them and the condition of the tapes hasn't totally degraded, I could get them converted to DVD format and then upload them online....

Ashleg

Dooooo it. Put 'em on YouTube. That would be cool to see (I'd watch 'em).