News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

"Why ‘Redwall’ Should Be the Next Huge Movie Series"

Started by DanielofRedwall, July 16, 2017, 07:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

I've just come across a pretty nifty article that argues why the Redwall books could easily become the next "cinematic universe" like Marvel etc. Read it through here.

While I am one of many people who would love to see the books turned into some sort of film, I do have my doubts. Namely, what tone the movies would take. The TV series took the approach of pitching the show to young children; an approach that in my opinion also held back the Guardians of Ga'Hoole movie back from its true potential. Ideally (for me, at least), the movie(s) would have the same sort of tone as the later Harry Potter movies, but that brings up another issue: it would be difficult convincing a bunch of teenagers to go and see a movie about talking animals. I mean, the books did fine in achieving that, but Hollywood is another matter. As much as the Redwall books have been commercially successful and deeply adored by its fan base, I'm not sure it would be enough to convince any major studios to invest the money to make the sort of photo-realistic depiction this article suggests. I think the success of the upcoming Watership Down Netflix series could indicate whether Redwall could be viable. (The more I think of it, the more I think a Redwall Netflix series would be amazing.)

But still, it's always nice to fantasise over. What would you like from a potential Redwall film franchise? What might be holding major companies back? What books would best lend themselves to a film adaptation? Would you even go see it?
Received mostly negative reviews.

NovaNocturne

I love the idea of a Redwall movie, and with the continuing success of animal fiction (Zootopia, Armello, all the series you mentioned), I think it actually would have more than a snowball's chance.

The one issue I think it would have is that it would be marketed as a kids movie, but it would be too dark for a kid's movie, which would upset parents, and from there it would flop. I think a TV or Netflix series would have a better chance at success.

It would be awesome for it to be Chronological too if they did a series. By the time they got to the Redwall book itself then it might have enough of a following that they would t have to worry about marketing to kids and they could make a feature length movie.

I'd die to be on a team making it a series or a movie though.

Ashleg

Quote from: NovaNocturne on July 16, 2017, 03:53:04 PM
I'd die to be on a team making it a series or a movie though.

That said, I think unless it was written and animated by true Redwall fans or someone in Brian Jaques' family (or, heck...Don Bluth) it would flop. Hollywood loves mixing things up and butchering them.
Redwall would become some sort of fantasy mouse love story with lots of singing, I feel it.

MeadowR

Hollywood isn't the way to go with the Redwall series! (As it really isn't with a lot of things.) They would miss the point of it, mismarket it, and all sorts. A smaller, independent or BBC/Netflix type thing seems more the way to go for such things these days. As an example, I'm looking forward to the BBC series of 'His Dark Materials'; it needs the episodic formula. The Hollywood attempt at the first book, plus all the controversy and trying to appease people, was a mess.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

My concern with the Redwall series as a cinematic series is the tone that is taken with vermin. For the audience it was aimed to, that black and white distinction is acceptable. However, in a visual rendition, it may cause a bad taste.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

I don't support making it into a movie, or any mainstream kind of video. Brian isn't around to supervise it and give his vision.
More graphic novels, however...HECK YEAH.

Matthias720

A lot of good ideas here, but I'd like to toss in one more. How about doing the series as a western-style anime, a LA The Last Airbender? It strikes a balance between childish and serious, provides a good platform for both black-and-white and gray morality moments, and gives a lot of leeway for varied storytelling opportunities. I think it could work.

The Skarzs

If the vermin are cast in the way orcs are in LOTR it might work, yeah.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

If Redwall was turned into a big production, I would want the focus to be staying true to the story and having a good score moreso than making a visually pleasing film. There are lots and lots of films with great visuals but a story that's been put through all kinds of hoops to fit what looks cool (ex: Valerian, Mars needs moms, suckerpunch, spy kids, etc...).

On the other hand, a film like Watership down - even with its 70's animation - is highly regarded today because of the story and its music score. I think if you want a successful film, it's gotta have the focus in the right areas and visuals isn't it unless you have a $100 million budget
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

(There are a lot of reasons Valerian didn't take off well in America.)

Accuracy to the books would be nice to see, though that might not be entirely possible- see some Chronicals of Narnia enactments. And while visuals may not be a necessary part to it, with the capabilities we have pretty easily accessible nowadays I think having some animation at least along the quality of, say, the new Avengers animated series (with some blood, mm, yeah, lots of blood) would be good. Anything 3d on a tight budget just looks trash.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

KoudoawaiaVortex

I really would love to see a highly realistic cgi film version of these books. It is nice we have the TV series but I honestly don't care for the style used in it. That style makes some of the animals not look like the species they're supposed to and I think a Redwall film series would have excellent potential.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

KoudoawaiaVortex

Lasky

Quote from: The Skarezs on August 07, 2017, 12:30:24 AM
Good Koudo, and welcome to your new supplements for building muscle and the forum!

It would be amazing if they made it into a series of movies but I don't know if redwall is known enough to the general public.

The Skarzs

Indeed. It may end up being like Valerian because of lack of exposure. Or it will expose the series and gain support and interest.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.