News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

Hipness never was a good measure of quality. After all, if it was, the pelvic bone would be the coolest thing of all. ;D
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Maudie

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

DelenatheWanderer

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.
There's always a bigger fish. (both Star Wars)
Like my mom used to say, I always liked good food over bad food any old day! (The Ghost and Mr. Chicken)

Disney. Brian Jacques. J.R.R. Tolkien. C.S. Lewis. Toby Fox. A.A.Milne. And more...

Jetthebinturong

"Cupid," Jason called. "Where are you?"
"Where you least expect me," Cupid answered. "As love always is."
~ The House of Hades, Rick Riordan

Magnus Chase and the Ship of the Dead

"I'll be honest. A small part of my brain thought, Alex is male right now. I have just been kissed by a dude. How do I feel about that?
The rest of my brain answered: I have just been kissed by Alex Fierro. I am absolutely great with that."
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Krantor the Brutal

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-  Ben Franklin

"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Maudie

Quote from: Louis L'Amour, Education of a Wandering Man"A book is less important for what it says than for what it makes you think."

"I have read my books by many lights, hoarding their beauty, their wit or wisdom against the dark days when I would have no book, nor a place to read. I have known hunger of the belly kind many times over, but I have known a worse hunger: the need to know and to learn."

"It is often said that one has but one life to live, but that is nonsense. For one who reads, there is no limit to the number of lives that may be lived, for fiction, biography and history offer an inexhaustible number of lives in many parts of the world, in all periods of time."

"We are, finally, all wanderers in search of knowledge. Most of us hold the dream of becoming something better than we are, something larger, richer, in some way more important to the world and ourselves. Too often, the way taken is the wrong way, with too much emphasis on what we want to have, rather than what we wish to become."

"Knowledge is like money: To be of value it must circulate, and in circulating it can increase in quantity and, hopefully, in value."

"No matter how much I admire our schools, I know that no university exists that can provide an education; what a university can provide is an outline, to give the learner a direction and guidance. The rest one has to do for oneself."

"Often I hear people say they do not have time to read. That's absolute nonsense. In the one year during which I kept that kind of record, I read twenty-five books while waiting for people. In offices, applying for jobs, waiting to see a dentist, waiting in a restaurant for friends, many such places. I read on buses, trains, and plains. If one really wants to learn, one has to decide what is important. Spending an evening on the town? Attending a ball game? Or learning something that can be with you your life long?"

"Only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his ignorance."

"One thing has always been true: That book or that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend."

"No one can "get" an education, for of necessity education is a continuing process. If it does nothing else, it should provide students with the tools for learning, acquaint them with methods of study and research, methods of pursuing an idea. We can only hope they come upon an idea they wish to pursue."

"I came into the world with two priceless advantages: good health and a love of learning. When I left school at the age of fifteen I was halfway through the tenth grade. I left for two reasons, economic necessity being the first of them. More important was that school was interfering with my education."

"I think that the greatest gift one man can give to another is the desire to know, to understand. Life is for delving, discovering—learning."

Honestly, Louis L'Amour's autobiography is his best book. His perspective on education and learning and books is so cool.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

Social pressure is the mother of all stupidity.
A book- Crucial Accountability.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

"Apparently, riding a dog like its a small horse is FROWNDED UPON, IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT!"
-Baby from E-Trade commercial

I'm retired from the forum

Jetthebinturong

"There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force."
~ Code of the Jedi

"Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my chains are Broken.
The Force shall free me."
~ Code of the Sith

"Flowing through all, there is balance.
There is no peace without a passion to create.
There is no passion without peace to guide.
Knowledge stagnates without the strength to act.
Power blinds without the serenity to see.
There is freedom in life.
There is purpose in death.
The Force is all things and I am the Force."
~ Code of the Grey Jedi

See. Grey Jedi are just normal people and are objectively better than both Jedi and Sith.

Jetthebinturong

Alice: Hey, remember when we accidentally toppled a government on Orkon?
Jack: That was accidental? Women didn't have the right to vote or any power. Coulda sworn we did it on purpose.
~ Namesake: Memory of a Song

Methinks Mister Wright needs to learn the meaning of plausible deniability.

Jetthebinturong

"Time. Time doesn't pass. The passage of time is an illusion and life is the magician. Because life only lets you see one day at a time. You remember being alive yesterday, you hope you're going to be alive tomorrow, so it feels like you're travelling from one to the other, but nobody's moving anywhere! Movies don't really move. They're just pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. All of them still, none of them moving, just frozen moments! But if you experience those pictures one after the other then everything comes alive.
Imagine if time all happened at once! Every moment of your life, laid out around you like a city. Streets full of buildings made of days. The day you were born. The day you die. The day you fall in love. The day that love ends. A whole city built from triumph and heartbreak and boredom and laughter and cutting your toenails; it's the best place you will ever be!
Time is a structure relative to ourselves. Time is the space made by our lives, where we stand together forever.
Time
And
Relative
Dimension
In
Space.
It means life."

"Space. The final frontier. Final because it wants to kill us. Sometimes we forget that. Start taking it all for granted - the suits, the ships, the little bubbles of safety - as they protect us from the void. But the void is always waiting. So how does space kill you? Glad you asked. The main problem is pressure. There isn't any. So don't hold your breath, or your lungs will explode. Blood vessels rupture, exposed areas swell. Fun fact: The boiling temperature of water is much lower in a vacuum, which means that your sweat and your saliva will boil. As will the fluid around your eyes. You won't notice any of this, because fifteen seconds in you've passed out as oxygen bubbles form in your blood. And nineteen seconds in, you're dead. Any questions?"
~ The Doctor, Doctor Who, Series 10 episode 1: The Pilot, and series 10 episode 5: Oxygen

Jetthebinturong

"A tear, Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. While there's life, there's..."
~ Doctor Who: Planet of the Spiders

"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots. They do exactly what you tell them at amazing speed. Even if you order them to kill you. So if you do happen to change your mind, it's very difficult to stop them from obeying the original order. But... not impossible."
~ Doctor Who: Robot

"It was a wonderful creature. Capable of great good and great evil. So yes, I suppose you could say it was human, in a way."

"Doctor, you're being childish!"
"Of course I am! What's the point in growing up if you can't be a little childish sometimes?"

Jetthebinturong

"Davros, if you had created a virus in your laboratory - something contagious and infectious that killed on contact - a virus that would destroy all other forms of life, would you allow its use?"
"It is an interesting conjecture-"
"Would you do it?"
"The only living thing, a microscopic organism, reigning supreme. A fascinating idea!"
"But would you do it?"
"Yes... Yes... To hold in my hand a capsule that contained such power - to know that life and death on such a scale was my choice - to know that just the tiny pressure of my thumb, enough to break the glass, would end everything. Yes... I would do it! That power would set me up above the gods! And through the daleks I shall have that power!"
~ The Doctor and Davros, Doctor Who: Genesis of the Daleks

"Simply touch one strand against another and the daleks are finished. Have I that right?"
"To destroy the daleks? You can't doubt it!"
"I do! You see, some things could be better with the daleks. How many future worlds will become allies just because of their fear of the daleks?"
"It isn't like that-"
"But the final responsibility is mine, and mine alone. Listen. If someone who knew the future pointed out a child to you and told you that child would grow up totally evil - to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives - could you then kill that child?"
"We're talking about the daleks. The most evil creatures ever invented. You must destroy them! You must complete your mission for the time lords."
"Do I have the right? Simply touch one wire against the other and that's it. The daleks cease to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations could live without fear, in peace, and never even know the word dalek."
"Then why wait? If it was a disease or some sort of bacteria you were destroying you wouldn't hesitate!"
"But if I kill - wipe out a whole intelligent lifeform - then I become like them. I'd be no better than the daleks."
~ The Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith, Doctor Who: Genesis of the Daleks

"They talk of democracy, freedom, fairness. Those are the creeds of cowards! The ones who would listen to a thousand viewpoints and try to satisfy them all. Achievement comes through absolute power, and power through strength! They have lost!"
~ Davros, Doctor Who: Genesis of the Daleks

"Wait! Those men are scientists, they can help you! Let them live. HAVE PITY!"
"Pity? I do not know the meaning of this word. It is not registered in my vocabulary banks. EXTERMINATE!"
~ Davros and the first dalek, Doctor Who: Genesis of the Daleks

Ashleg

"Get back to work, all of you! I'm not running a happy factory here."

- Eugene Krabs

Jetthebinturong

"Master, at last you are here! I, Ibrahim Namin, and all my forebears, have served you faithfully through the thousands of years that you have slept. We have guarded the secret of your tomb-"
"Stand. Look upon my face."
"Great One. Lord Sutekh, I dare not."
"Look. Is this the face of Sutekh?"
"Master. Spare me. Spare me! I am a true servant of the great Sutekh!"
"I am the servant of Sutekh. He needs no other."
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
"I bring Sutekh's gift of death to all humans."
~ Doctor Who: Pyramids of Mars

"Deactivating a generated loop without the correct key is like repairing a watch with a hammer and chisel. One false move and you'll never know the time again."

"No. You will not die yet. Identify yourself."
"Just destroy me, Sutekh. Nothing else now is left within your power."
"Indentify yourself. It is within my power to choose the manner of your death. I can, if I choose, keep you alive for centuries, wracked by the most excruciating pain. Since your interference has condemned me forever to remain a prisoner within the Eye of Horus, it would be a fitting end. You would make an amusing diversion. Identify yourself, plaything of Sutekh."

"Serve you, Sutekh? Your name is abominated in every civilised world. Whether that name be Set, Satan, Sadok-"
"Serve me, Doctor!"
"Never!"
"You pit your puny will against mine? Kneel!"
"No!"
"Kneel before the might of Sutekh. In my presence, you are an ant. A termite. Abase yourself, you grovelling insect!"

"You use your powers for evil-"
"Evil? Your evil is my good. I am Sutekh the destroyer. Where I tread, I leave nothing but dust, and darkness. I find that good."