Started by Matthias720, July 07, 2011, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias720

Sure. The books are:
1. Castaways of the Flying Dutchman
2. The Angel's Command
3. Voyage of Slaves

Gonff

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Redwall Musician

I might read them. My friends say they are really good. Sounds interesting!
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Nightfire

My favorite character in the series is Ned, A.K.A. Den, short for Denmark. He's got a great sense of humor.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Captain Tammo

Neb and den and Ben and Ned are the best team EVER!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lutra

Quote from: Matthias720 on July 11, 2011, 02:26:22 PM
This may sound weird, but I'm glad BJ only wrote 3 of these books. It makes for a nice trilogy, and the series didn't get to the point where it became too big. It seems ideal to introduce people to BJ's work through three books rather than an intimidating 22 volumes.

I hadn't thought of this, kind of hoping for at least one more Ben and Ned adventure, but its absolutely true.  I'm one those "you read one Redwall story, you've read them all" types, and too many stories can create writing ruts.  I didn't see the Dutchmen stories getting into those ruts, though they definitely parallel Redwall when it comes to the character of Ben/Ned doing no wrong, always outwitting their captors without much effort.

Anyone know if there was another Dutchmen book out there Mr. Jacques had started or finished before his passing?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Nightfire

I don't think so. At least, not unless someone decides to do a fanfic.  :(
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

daskar666

Well I just finished the Redwall series, so I'll read Castaways now...
Oh and about series I like trilogies but I LOVE huge series of books.
So it's nice that Brian wrote 2 different series, 1 a trilogy, and one a huge series.

Skalrag of Marshank

Question: Are these books any good? I don't wanna read them and have them be a HUGE letdown, if Jacques is only good at animal stories...
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Nightfire

Skalrag of Marshank

"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Martha Braebuck

I would like to read them, because a book I'm going to write after my first one is about ocean traveling. Is it a really good series?
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Matthias720

Yes, these books are good. So good in fact, that I'd say that it doesn't matter that there are only 3 books in the series. It's just as good as the 22 books in Redwall. 8)

Lutra

Quote from: Martha Braebuck on July 30, 2011, 06:01:56 PM
I would like to read them, because a book I'm going to write after my first one is about ocean traveling. Is it a really good series?

While it might be a good intro to some sea travel, most of the stories take place on land.  So I'm not sure what you will gain from it.  They are good reads.  Ben reminds me a lot of Matthias, and Ned like Cornflower just based on how they act.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra