News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What Redwall-like books are there

Started by daskar666, July 10, 2011, 06:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daskar666

So now it seems like there won't be anymore redwall books written by another author so what similar series are there? I'm looking for...
long book series
complex multilayered plot with different sideplots and the story from both the hero and the villain's perspective
war-type story

The Lady Shael

I haven't read them, but it seems the Warrior Cat series by Erin Hunter is similar to Redwall... at least a lot of Warrior Cat fans seem to also be fans of Redwall.

Watership Down is another popular book with Redwall fans but it isn't a series.
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Osu

I think you'd like Dark Lord of Derkholm by Dianna Wynne Jones. It's a fairly long book but only has one (subpar IMO) sequel. She's also done the Chrestomanci series, which is, in fact, a series, but with shorter books and not as epic. You already know about Lord of the Rings and Narnia...

I'm sure I can think of more, but there's that in the meantime.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

DanielofRedwall

There was this series I saw in the library, forgot what it was called. It looked stacks like redwall. I didn't borrow it though, I'd make me suffer. I'll see if I can find it on the web...

N'up can't find it. If I go to that library again I'll tell you what it is.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Captain Tammo

I'd say watership down and the legend of the guardians. However I haven't read either.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

DanielofRedwall

Guardians of Ga'Hoole is actually a lot different to Redwall. It's more like an owl version of LOTR with a very tiny hint (as in, a really small amount) of Harry Potter, with the Pure Ones and pure blood and such.

Dawnwing

Lady Shael had mentioned the Warriors series by Erin Hunter... yeah, a lot of Warriors fans are fans of Redwall too.  It's another of my favorite series; I'm quite well known on its official forum and largest fan forum.

It's somewhat similar (in fact, one review that they quote on the backs a lot says that fans of Brian Jacques may like it, and the authors chose the pseudonym Erin Hunter so that they'd be shelved near Redwall), but there are also a lot of differences.  The plot isn't very multilayered/complex, however, particularly in the first series (there are later multiple POVs, but they're all "heroes" that are part of the same Clan and that, for the most part, are in the same general location), and there isn't a POV of a villain.  It is quite a long series, though, with four six-book story arcs that follow the main storyline, four extra-long standalone volumes, four guidebooks, and several short graphic novel trilogies.  

Basically, it follows the story of four Clans of feral cats; the main character of the first series is a house cat that joins them, and must prove himself, while uncovering a traitor/murderer within his Clan.  Similarly to what DanielofRedwall mentioned for Guardians of Ga'Hoole, there is a bit of the "pure blood" thing here too, especially in the first series, where the main character has no Clan blood, and some later characters are HalfClan (parents are from two different Clans, which is against their honor code).

Guardians of Ga'Hoole and Watership Down are good too; I've read both and can give you a rough description of those too if you like.

DanielofRedwall

I found the name of the series I was talking about, it's called "Welkin Weasels" by Garry Kilworth. It doesn't look that interesting to me, but that's just my opinon.

Tiria Wildlough

I read the Hobbit earlier, before I discovered Redwall. I didn't like it though, it was scary.  :-\
But it reminds me of Redwall, except that Redwall is better. Or maybe that's just me XD.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 25, 2011, 04:56:02 AM
I found the name of the series I was talking about, it's called "Welkin Weasels" by Garry Kilworth. It doesn't look that interesting to me, but that's just my opinon.

I've read several reviews for it. Apparantly tis not worth the Weasels that are in it.

The basic plot is that Weasels, stoats, and other characters live on this big island that used to be inhabited by humans. One day the humans just left, and so the animals moved into their dwellings. The stoats have taken over and most are ruling quite cruely. The main character is a Weasel outlaw who has found out that the seawalls that protected the island from being flooded by the ocean is starting to crumble and he (and his band {that he's the leader of} of other Weasels that are with him) goes on a journey/quest/etc. to find and bring back the humans so that they could repair the wall. (SPOILER!) It takes three books for them to do this, and then the other four books take place after the humans have come back.

Despite the review however, I'm still going to read it.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Lutra

I will agree with the suggestions of Watership Down and Guardians of Ga-Hoole even though they are not exactly like Redwall.  It seems that most that like the fantasy-esque talking animal stories, these are ones that get recommended.  Watership Down is a very long detailed read, with bits of the rabbit language and mythology thrown in; its amazing.  Ga-Hoole is easier to read and not as lengthy, and like Watership Down, you need to get used to some of the owl language.  This is a series, and you can skip the parts about the past of Ga-Hoole and the ember and just enjoy the storyline of Soren and crew. :)

One that has not been mentioned, and its a short series I rather enjoyed because it was like Redwall, but was very different from Redwall at the same time is M.I. McAllister's Mistmantle Chronicles.  Same general time period, same general weapons, same animals, however, the characters are more three-dimensional than Redwall characters because there are no absolute "goodies and baddies" in the stories.  There's only five books, which is good because it doesn't allow the series to go on beyond its time and repeat old plot lines.  It definitely has a religious vein to it (you could tell the author was married to a pastor).

See my Mistmantle site for more:  http://sites.google.com/site/mistmantlechronicles/
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Nightfire

What about the Lord of the Rings trilogy? The books are much more interesting than the movie. The Guardians of Ga'Hoole series is also really good.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Nightfire

Quote from: Dawnwing on July 14, 2011, 05:48:58 AM
Lady Shael had mentioned the Warriors series by Erin Hunter... yeah, a lot of Warriors fans are fans of Redwall too.  It's another of my favorite series; I'm quite well known on its official forum.

And who are you on the Warrior Cats forum? I'm Sandfire of WindClan.

Sorry about the double post guys! I realized it just as I posted it! Sorry!
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Nightfire

Hey, Galaxy. Are ye a member of Warrior Cat Dreams, by any chance? Ye remind me and awful lot of a cat on there called Fallenstar...?