Lands of Ice and Snow

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, July 11, 2011, 11:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Arguably one of the most legendary and mysterious places in the Redwall universe, it was the home of wolverines and a wolf. It is a very mysertious place, and is populated, from what we know, by ermine, white foxes and fearsome wolverines, with the strange addition of a walking stone.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Captain Tammo

I just finished Rakkety Tam for the second time today. Is really good, one of the best. Something I don't get though. How could a cold blooded reptile like a turtle/walking stone live in a land of ice and snow? They'd have to get it from somewhere else and even then, how would they keep it alive if most of them are carnivorous when a turtle eats mostly plants?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

James Gryphon

Well, maybe they have some special chamber that's built to protect it or preserve its life. I imagine maybe a large room with fires placed all through it, to keep the Walking Stones eternally warm; it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Something like a medieval vivarium.

And you have to admit there is a certain irony in cannibalistic, ruthless vermin going to all that trouble to preserve and protect the life of a completely peaceful herbivore, and revering it as a symbol of power.
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

Yeah that is kind of odd. When the vermin said serving askor or dramez was easier, did they mean they were nice and just gulo was crazy?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

James Gryphon

Well, if you mean "nice" in the sense that, "did they qualify as good", I'd say no. From what we see of Askor, he likely qualifies as a villain too -- even if he wasn't as nasty as Gulo.

I think we're essentially referring to something like the difference between Verdauga and Tsarmina... neither of them qualify as "good" in the standard sense, but the hordebeasts had fond memories of their lord Verdauga, and all the good times they had under him, and we see him fairly ruling his kingdom, whereas Tsarmina reigned in tyranny over everyone, woodlander and horde member alike.
« Subject to editing »

DanielofRedwall

I always find this place so mysterious. It's barely even mentioned. It would have been awesome if BJ made a book where the main characters travel there or something. We could actually read about wolves as a main character, which I thought would have been so cool. Just my thoughts...
Received mostly negative reviews.

Captain Tammo

I want to see a wolverine fight a badger lord paw to paw. No weapons

daskar666

I believe it has been stated in Rakkety Tam in the first chapter that the turtles came from somewhere other than the Lands of Ice and Snow.
Also I couldn't help but notice that out of the 18 Redwall books I read so far (currently reading the 19th one, Eulalia) NONE of them take place in winter. Or spring or fall for that matter. There are a few chapters in wintertime in Mossflower and Rakkety Tam but the main story itself ALWAYS takes place during the summer. I'm sort of puzzled by this considering that animals have fur AS WELL as clothes to keep them warm so they should be better off in winter weather than humans. Hibernation could have been an answer except for the fact that in the few chapters that take place in winter no one is hibernating.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

It's obvious the tortoise didn't come from the Land of Ice and Snow.

And there's Urgan Nagru's horde of vermin. It was remarked by him to have been brought to Southsward. That would indicate a populace of normal vermin, and not just white foxes and ermine. The Dirgecallers look to be insane versions of their race, similar to the Gloomer.

Captain Tammo

Someone should make a map of it!

James Gryphon

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 12, 2011, 06:51:02 PM
I want to see a wolverine fight a badger lord paw to paw. No weapons
Well, it's hard to say because the Redwall series badgers are very heavily buffed up, compared to how strong they are in real life...

... but realistically, the wolverine would win. Badgers are pretty tough, but an adult wolverine is tremendously strong and is capable of holding off a wolf in single combat, and is better-equipped, with its jaws, to kill large creatures.

With weapons, of course, since most badgers (such as Boar the Fighter) are incredibly skilled, and probably smarter and more competent fighters than Redwall wolverines, it could go either way.
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

I want to see a badger army!!! Hahaha

Tiria Wildlough

Too few badgers for that...
Anyway, back to topic. I think that someone should make a map of the lands of ice and snow, but it might not be so popular, the aforementioned location being mentioned in only one book.
*shrug*
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

It was mentioned in more than one book. It was mentioned in several. The Bellmaker, Rakkety Tam and I think one other.

Tiria Wildlough

Oh.
Oh well, it's still not the most talked about place.  :(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.