Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 13, 2011, 03:46:46 AM
Oh.
Oh well, it's still not the most talked about place.  :(

Hence the mystery. Important aspect.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Captain Tammo

That is what keeps our interest in it.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Icefire

Quote from: daskar666 on July 12, 2011, 07:05:05 PM
I believe it has been stated in Rakkety Tam in the first chapter that the turtles came from somewhere other than the Lands of Ice and Snow.
Also I couldn't help but notice that out of the 18 Redwall books I read so far (currently reading the 19th one, Eulalia) NONE of them take place in winter. Or spring or fall for that matter. There are a few chapters in wintertime in Mossflower and Rakkety Tam but the main story itself ALWAYS takes place during the summer. I'm sort of puzzled by this considering that animals have fur AS WELL as clothes to keep them warm so they should be better off in winter weather than humans. Hibernation could have been an answer except for the fact that in the few chapters that take place in winter no one is hibernating.
The characters are probably thankful that they don't have to go adventuring in the winter. ;D I thought there was one that was set in winter. ??? Maybe it's just that a lot of the introductions are set in winter.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Osu

I always figured the land of ice and snow was something like Wales, Ireland, or even the arctic circle. One does wonder how a tortoise managed to survive there, though. I'd like to see a book that takes place in the north, there.

And a fight between a wolverine and a badger would be too epic for words! Somebody should write one. Hey. Hey, all you fanfiction authors... ;)
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Lily

Quote from: Icefire on July 13, 2011, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: daskar666 on July 12, 2011, 07:05:05 PM
I believe it has been stated in Rakkety Tam in the first chapter that the turtles came from somewhere other than the Lands of Ice and Snow.
Also I couldn't help but notice that out of the 18 Redwall books I read so far (currently reading the 19th one, Eulalia) NONE of them take place in winter. Or spring or fall for that matter. There are a few chapters in wintertime in Mossflower and Rakkety Tam but the main story itself ALWAYS takes place during the summer. I'm sort of puzzled by this considering that animals have fur AS WELL as clothes to keep them warm so they should be better off in winter weather than humans. Hibernation could have been an answer except for the fact that in the few chapters that take place in winter no one is hibernating.
The characters are probably thankful that they don't have to go adventuring in the winter. ;D I thought there was one that was set in winter. ??? Maybe it's just that a lot of the introductions are set in winter.
Agreed, it's hard to go questing through snow. It doesn't look like a lot goes on at the Abbey in the Winter, they seem to carry out their chores inside and tell stories at night. That doesn't sound like a particularly interesting book to me!

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 12, 2011, 09:06:34 PM
Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 12, 2011, 06:51:02 PM
I want to see a wolverine fight a badger lord paw to paw. No weapons
Well, it's hard to say because the Redwall series badgers are very heavily buffed up, compared to how strong they are in real life...

... but realistically, the wolverine would win. Badgers are pretty tough, but an adult wolverine is tremendously strong and is capable of holding off a wolf in single combat, and is better-equipped, with its jaws, to kill large creatures.

With weapons, of course, since most badgers (such as Boar the Fighter) are incredibly skilled, and probably smarter and more competent fighters than Redwall wolverines, it could go either way.
Not if it's a honey badger... Seriously, check them out on youtube, they are ferocious, they'd smash a wolverine in a fight if it was real life!
Received mostly negative reviews.

James Gryphon

Unfortunately, in real life, wolverines are about half again to twice the size of any kind of badger, and are stronger and better-suited towards crushing prey. The wolverine and honey badger are similarly armed in terms of claws, and very well protected by their thick coats, so the decisive factor in a real-life matchup would be their jaw strength, which the wolverine possesses much more of. I'm sorry to say that I think the evidence suggests a wolverine could beat any badger, regardless of its breed or origin. In real life, they have the same durability and fighting spirit as the badger, are better-armed, and possess greater size.

It's kind of a moot point, though, for a Redwall-themed animal matchup, since honey badgers don't exist in Europe, and since they have substantial differences from the badgers we're used to seeing (they almost resemble a skunk more than a "normal" badger ;)).

If the fight was in the Redwall world, I would pick Boar the Fighter, wearing his great armor and wielding his equally impressive broadsword, over Dramz, Gulo, Askor, or any other wolverine that might happen to inhabit the Lands of Ice and Snow, 10 out of 10 times. Boar (or really any Badger Lord, but in my mind Boar especially; you can't beat the original) has the intellect, the skill, and the equipment to take down any single opponent in the Redwall world, and it doesn't hurt that he has unusual size and strength to go with it.

However, I wouldn't take an unnamed, unarmed badger over an unnamed, unarmed wolverine, because the statistics strongly suggest the badger would lose.
« Subject to editing »

DanielofRedwall

^^

Yeah, good point with the honey badger, but it would be a pretty close fight for most of it.
Received mostly negative reviews.

White One6193

Quote from: Osu on July 14, 2011, 12:33:43 AM
I always figured the land of ice and snow was something like Wales, Ireland, or even the arctic circle. One does wonder how a tortoise managed to survive there, though. I'd like to see a book that takes place in the north, there.

And a fight between a wolverine and a badger would be too epic for words! Somebody should write one. Hey. Hey, all you fanfiction authors... ;)

I'll get right on it ;D! I'd also like to see a wolf fight a Redwall badger. EPIC! :o
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I think the reason wolves are absent (with one exception) from Redwall is the fact that they're just too large. The ridiculous size comparison is overbearing, it'd be like a 60 ft. giant attacking people. Adult grey wolves can reach 62 inches in length, compared to the average six inches of a mouse. I wouldn't rule out jumping over the walls of the Abbey even.
Of course, the difference in size between a mouse and a fox, or wildcat, doesn't seem to be much of a factor. But still, wolves are a good deal larger than foxes and cats.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Eulalia

thinking about it didint it say in the bellmaker that urgan nagru also came from the north so theoretical also the lands of ice and snow
You never know what hit you till it does.

The Shade

No offence to those who think a badger would beat a wolverine, but I think  a wolverine would beat a badger easily. But a honey badger, now thats a different story. Yeah, I think honey badger wins.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

None taken. Zere'z plenty o' pozzible ootcomez zat cound determine a fight, zeveral favourin' boz badgerz an' volverinez.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Mariel

Personally I know close to nothing about the lands of ice and snow,I live in a desert. ::)

Buzz_Bumble

It's possible to have ice and snow in a desert ... one of the rich Saudi Arabian countries has got a huge building with an inside ski slope, etc. in it. Even here in Auckland, New Zealand where it doesn't snow in the winter (it does snow further south in New Zealand though), there is an indoor ski slope called SnowPlanet, although I've never been there (like most tourist attractions, it's expensive).  :)