News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Owl City!

Started by Kitsune, June 08, 2013, 03:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

Owl City (or Adam Young) is pure pop music, with a lot of auto-tune.  I see auto-tune as simply a gimmick to cover up for untrained singing because it basically gives you a computerized voice.  The songs that I do listen to from time to time are "To the Sky" and "Fireflies".  Other than that, not too interested in Mr. Young's stuff.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Rainshadow

Actually, if you listen to the songs, his voice doesn't sound at all computerized.  There are some occasions where there'll be a slip-up, but most of the time, he just uses enough to cover up the missed notes.  Not too much to make himself sound inhuman.  (Unhuman?  Inhuman?  Eh, spell check ain't workin' too well for me.)  And as for actually using auto-tune, from what I've heard, many musicians use it nowadays (some a bit TOO much), so he had to use it to keep up with the others.  Sure, it could be thought of as a form of 'cheating', but I don't view it that way.  Eh, that's just my opinion though.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Kitsune

Inhuman is used to describe an act that is so extreme that it seems unpossible for a human. Example: Hitler's ideas were just inhuman!

Unhuman is something that is not a person's. Example: His digitalized voice was robotic and very unhuman.

.....or so I think. ;D

Orinoco

Quote from: Lutra on June 15, 2013, 12:37:42 AM
Owl City (or Adam Young) is pure pop music, with a lot of auto-tune.  I see auto-tune as simply a gimmick to cover up for untrained singing because it basically gives you a computerized voice.  The songs that I do listen to from time to time are "To the Sky" and "Fireflies".  Other than that, not too interested in Mr. Young's stuff.

Actually, Owl City's genre is more suitably classified as Electronic.

Yes, he does use a bit of autotune, but his pure natural voice is quite nice, too. While I've never had the privilege of going to an actual Owl City concert, I've seen videos of him performing live, and he sounds fine to me.

(By the way, Lutra, I love your profile picture! I'm a fan of the original Franklin TV series.)
"My turtleneck is irresistible."   - Adam Young

Lutra

I guess I'm going to have to see if there's a more natural sounding Adam Young out there somewhere.  I think the only reason auto-tune became a big hit is because Cher made it a big hit with "Believe". ;)  Lets see how many of these kids can sing when a computer doesn't fix all the problems.

And yes, Oricono, Franklin does rock, at least the original anyway. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Rainshadow

Well, if you want a LIVE song (one of my favourites, actually (so purdyful! :') )), then here ya go:

It definitely sounds natural, and actually, at one part, it sounds like he was about ready to cry.  But yeah, I believe this song is about a girlfriend of his that he really loved, but she moved away for college and they lost touch.  Or something along those lines.  Quite a few people claim that Annemarie died, but no, she just moved to some out of state college or something like that.  It's still a very pretty song, though.  And it shows off some pretty darn amazing piano skills!  Man!  If only I could play that well!  And on that piano.  ;)  Those keys are so clean and new-looking as compared to my piano.  They keys are all chipped and dying lol.  And my piano is pretty battered and scratched up (it's really old ;)).
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Redwallfan7

Quote from: Lutra on June 17, 2013, 12:17:19 AM
I guess I'm going to have to see if there's a more natural sounding Adam Young out there somewhere.  I think the only reason auto-tune became a big hit is because Cher made it a big hit with "Believe". ;)  Lets see how many of these kids can sing when a computer doesn't fix all the problems.

And yes, Oricono, Franklin does rock, at least the original anyway. :)
I don't mind some auto tune, but it gets weird if there's a lot.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Rainshadow

Ah, here's a vid that most likely has no auto-tune in it:

I have no idea why, but I crack up whenever I listen to it.  :P  (And yes, this is actually Owl City... well, Adam Young.  Apparently, he just recently shaved his head.)

Orinoco

Really, Adam shaved his head? Aww, I really liked his hair... Oh well, I think he looks good no matter what.  ;)
And I love those glasses he's wearing.
"My turtleneck is irresistible."   - Adam Young

Redwallfan7

My mom actually thought that his real name was Owl City  xD
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lutra

Now, see why can't he just do that like in the concert video?  That's good stuff. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Rainshadow

Quote from: Orinoco on June 26, 2013, 03:24:18 AM
Really, Adam shaved his head? Aww, I really liked his hair... Oh well, I think he looks good no matter what.  ;)
And I love those glasses he's wearing.

I know!  I loved his long hair!  (Lol, though my sister would tease me that I only got my hair cut so short so I could look like him.  ::))  He just recently almost grew it out to the longer length, but I guess he wanted it short for the summer or something.
  And yes, those glasses are quite awesome.  ;D

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on June 26, 2013, 04:58:30 AM
My mom actually thought that his real name was Owl City  xD

Lol!  Yeah, when I talk about Owl City to people and tell them that his actual name is Adam Young, they're like, "Um, why doesn't he just go by Adam Young then?"  I say, "I dunno.", but what I mean is, "BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME AND COOL AND MYSTERIOUS, THAT'S WHY!"  :P

Quote from: Lutra on June 26, 2013, 12:00:04 PM
Now, see why can't he just do that like in the concert video?  That's good stuff. :)

I know, I do quite enjoy the live versions of most of his songs (though, sometimes I quite enjoy the studio version), but in order to keep up with the pop stars of this generation, he has to step up his game.  It's quite sad, really, that people have to turn to 'cheating' to keep up with the crowd.  :(  Still, I enjoy Owl City for the music and the creativity, not the fact that he may be 'cheating' by using auto-tune.

Redwallfan7

I think he'd be great at acoustic.

DanielofRedwall

I enjoy a couple of the songs he did before he released Fireflys and did a song with Carly Rae Jepsen. :P He does have a few good songs, though I prefer The Postal Service, to whom Owl City owe quite a bit too.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Redwaller

After listening to the video "Brighter than a shooting star", I came to the conclusion that Owl City is pretty awesome!