News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Scary or Disconcerting Moments in Redwall

Started by MeadowR, August 30, 2013, 03:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeadowR

Does anyone find any moments in the books a little frightening or unsettling?

There's nothing generally really frightening in my opinion. However, when I read the books some years ago I found the parts where the characters go deep down under the abbey or at Salamandastron looking for tombs and such quite foreboding.

In Redwall, the way Brian described Matthias finding Guosim in the cave I found unsettling!

So what did you find, if not frightening, unsettling throughout the series?
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Leatho Shellhound

In the book The Long Patrol where they go down to the swamp filled ruins of kortir.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Shadowed One

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on August 30, 2013, 05:37:11 PM
In the book The Long Patrol where they go down to the swamp filled ruins of kortir.
That part is pretty creepy in my opinion.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Faiyloe

The moment when Martin killed Badrang I was horrified because Martin seemed to enjoy it making him almost as bad as Badrang. In most of the other books the villain is killed by something else like Cluny and the bell and Gabool and the scorpion.  (did I spell the names right?)      
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Captain Tammo

I have to agree with the swampy Kotir ruins. Not because of the structure itself, I actually enjoyed reading about little references to Mossflower, but the toads. Such an awful existence!! It makes me squirm to think about it because we have no control over who we are born as. Martin the warrior could have turned out to be one of those and suffered in the dark with the other frogs. But come to think of it, they probably didnt know of anything better, did they?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: Faiyloe on August 30, 2013, 08:33:05 PM
The moment when Martin killed Badrang I was horrified because Martin seemed to enjoy it making him almost as bad as Badrang. In most of the other books the villain is killed by something else like Cluny and the bell and Gabool and the scorpion.  (did I spell the names right?)      
I think
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Captain Tammo on August 30, 2013, 11:31:36 PM
I have to agree with the swampy Kotir ruins. Not because of the structure itself, I actually enjoyed reading about little references to Mossflower, but the toads. Such an awful existence!! It makes me squirm to think about it because we have no control over who we are born as. Martin the warrior could have turned out to be one of those and suffered in the dark with the other frogs. But come to think of it, they probably didnt know of anything better, did they?

I know! And weren't there worms in the water?

click the banner

Shadowed One

Worms or fish. They lived by eating toads and each other I think.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Probably ze dezcriptionz o' ze zree znakez in ah believe tvaz Trizz. Ze Zmell, ze ruztlin' grazz, etc... Ah generally dinnae get much zcared aboot ziz ztuff, but ziz more or lezz made ze 'airz on ze back o' me neck ztand up!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Leatho Shellhound

click the banner

Russano the Wise

The descriptions of the big snakes were always a little unsettling for me. I agree with you too Leatho, the doomwyte cavern was rather spooky.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Faiyloe

I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Captain Tammo

I remember some vermin summoning an adder from the quarry (I think Balis) and I recall there were some toads and snakes sent to lure it out. The snakes feigned death but the toads tried to scamper up the slope of the quarry to get away, always sliding back down towards the waiting adder. It was the first time I sympathized for a toad in redwall!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior