News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Jetthebinturong

It's actually been scientifically proven that schools are bad for children multiple times
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Skyblade

That's interesting...

I honestly like my public school. It's tiring and stressful, I'll admit it. But I think the challenges are worth it for college preparation. Lile Banya, I really could go on and on about the place I get my education. I like that it's a magnet school and has the program I'm in now, IB. It's small, and we don't have many sports or a huge band. But I would never want to graduate from anywhere else. So many opportunities. I have grown fond of it, especially the music room, which is (I'm being serious) a place I feel connected to, a place one would call "a home away from home".

I will miss this place when I leave :)

Wow, that's a lot of homeschool people. What is it like? I have never gone anyway other than a public school, and I'm curious what it's like to be educated in a different way.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Mhera

Heh, I've only been homeschooled. About it preparing me for college and beyond, I'm not too worried about that as I've seen my brothers and every other graduated homeschooler I know do fine.

As for the actual mechanics of homeschooling, it depends on the laws of the state you live in (for example, I live in a state that basically has no regulations regarding homeschooling and my cousin lived in one that requires review by a government official once per year and attendance of some sort of school once per week).

Once you're compliant with state law things can vary quite a bit. There are various curriculums for every subject targeted specifically towards homeschoolers. Sometimes the schooling isn't totally done at home, as some students go to classes designed for homeschoolers one day and then receive assignments and schedules to do on their own for the rest of the week. Other times a text used for public or private schools is adapted. Dual credit is another option. There might be other educational avenues I'm forgetting, too.

For social activities there are lots of homeschool groups to get involved with, as well as 4-H and homeschool co-ops. Private schools are often willing to let homeschoolers onto their sports teams. And then there's robotics, JROTC, martial arts classes, church groups, etc.

Standardized testing, like the Iowa test, is optional in some places and mandatory in others. Again, depends on the state.

Schedule wise, some people have everything laid out to the minute each day and some just wing it. People experiment and eventually come up with what works for them. Time off is the same; some take summer off, some work through it, some stick it in the winter.

That's all the stuff I can think of off the top of my head, I hope it helps. :)

Russano the Wise

I've been homeschooled my entire life as well and have absolutely loved it. I'm at the age now where my mom basically lets me decide how and when I do my school. On most days I'll get up around 6:30 and laze around until about 8 or 8:30 and then start school. I use several different curriculums, some just a textbook, others online. This year I'm also doing an AP class as well as a duel credit class at a college. I also go to a homeschool P.E. class at my local college. So that's mostly how I fill my days and it keeps me busy until around 3 or 4 in the evening.

The field trips can also be amazing. I remember one time I mentioned that I was interested in tide pools, so my parents planned  a week long vacation/field trip to a coast where we spent several days camping and exploring the tide pools. It was incredible and so interesting. Towards the end of the trip I mentioned I was interested in volcanoes, so we took a detour to visit a nearby volcano. That was one of the greatest field trips I've ever had.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Wot, wot!

"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

Eulaliaaa!

I was homeschooled for Preschool and Kindergarten, but after that my mom sent me off to public school. 
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Skyblade

Those are great perspectives; thank you all for sharing :) It's nice to hear the different point of views!

I manage to get on the Redwall forums in free time during class and at my house.

It may also be interesting to hear a typical day of schooling from different members, like what Russano did. Here's mine:

5:00-7:00: Depending on how much work I have to do, I will get up as early as 5. Otherwise, I wake up at 7 and get ready for school.
7:45-9:00: I'm at school, and I have over an hour to do things I need to do before classes start.
I have two periods before lunch, then I have two periods after. Classes end at around 4 but I usually stay after school, and get home at 5:30.

Mhera

I wing it. Some days I get a lot done of everything, some days only a little, and some days I'll just focus on one or two subjects. It all gets done eventually :P. I'm trying to get more organized about it, though. It also depends on weather; I try to get my runs done during whatever time of day has the most favorable conditions and I tend to group my chores around the time I run. So if it's winter more school gets done in the morning and evening then the afternoon and during summer chore/run time shifts to the mornings.

As for when I get on here, usually during breaks or if it's night time and I'm still wound up.

Skyblade

Hey Mhera (and anyone else who knows about these tests), want to talk about the SAT and ACT? ;D

I signed up for the March SAT and April ACT, and am wondering what I have just done.

Mhera

Yeah, I've got lots to talk about on those; I've taken both (and the PSAT). ;D

Anything in particular about them?

Skyblade

Yeah, I've taken the PSAT too ;D

Well, I want to get a 2300+ on the SAT and 35+ on the ACT... how did you prepare, may I ask? Of course, I am studying. These are not easy scores to get.

Kitsune

I said other because my school is both Christian (religious-based) and private. Was this poll inspired by what we were talking about, Sky?  ;D

I have taken the ACT once. I took it early and without real preparations, but I still did well on it. Hopefully I can bring the score up to an even better level though!

Skyblade

I made it before then :D

And that's neat. And cool that I'm learning about different types of schooling. I wonder how so many homeschooled people found their way onto these forums.

Kitsune

Oh, okay. ;)

Quote from: Skyblade on February 13, 2015, 09:51:53 PMI wonder how so many homeschooled people found their way onto these forums.

Generally, homeschoolers like to read more than others. Also, they have our connections and can recommend reading materials to each other. I know this because I was homeschooled until several years ago. I was still homeschooled when I joined this forum, actually.

Mhera

Quote from: Skyblade on February 13, 2015, 09:25:43 PM
Yeah, I've taken the PSAT too ;D
I really liked the PSAT. I wish colleges would accept it instead of the SAT or ACT, heh.

Quote from: Skyblade on February 13, 2015, 09:25:43 PM
Well, I want to get a 2300+ on the SAT and 35+ on the ACT... how did you prepare, may I ask? Of course, I am studying. These are not easy scores to get.
I'm shooting for at 2200+ on the SAT and hope I never have to take the ACT again :P.

Also, I'm flattered that you think I would have the foresight and wisdom to prepare for these. Thank you. ;D. In all seriousness, I took one SAT practice test way back in September or something last year, and that's it. However, I've been getting more serious about it and have started studying (just got some practice tests today, in fact). My next test is in June, so there's lots of time to prepare. May I ask how you're studying?

And on another note, have you heard that the SAT is changing next spring to align with Common Core?

Quote from: Skyblade on February 13, 2015, 09:51:53 PM
I wonder how so many homeschooled people found their way onto these forums.
I was googling Taggerung fan fictions when I found this work of art by a user named Blazemane. After reading through it several times I wandered into the rest of the forum and joined soon afterwards. In this case being a homeschooler was a coincidence (at least in finding the forums; whether or not being homeschooled had anything to do with my picking the books themselves up is debatable).