News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Brian Jacques biography

Started by Thomas Barkshield, January 27, 2015, 04:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Barkshield

For L.A. class I recently wrote A biography on Brian Jaques. I have decided to post it here for all to enjoy.

Who do you think of when I talk about an award winning author of more than 30 books, a patron of the royal Liverpool school for the blind, and loving father of two children? Probably someone other than Brian Jacques, but this British author has reached millions with his eloquent script and magical tone. Let us take a journey through his life, from the time of his birth to his passing.

EARLY YEARS
James Brian Jacques was born on June 15 1939, barely 2 months before the outbreak of world war two. He attended St John's elementary school and while there produced a story about a bird cleaning a crocodile's teeth. His teacher thought the story so good he was convinced that it had been plagiarized. Brian Jacques left school at the age of 15 (as was common at the time) to seek a life of high adventure in the merchant marine.
CAREERS
"I still pinch meself when I wake up in the morning. Who ever thought I'd be a children's author, let alone a bestselling children's author? I feel I should still be driving a truck, or working as a longshoreman."
As previously indicated, Mr. Jacques' first career was as a merchant marine A.B. (Able bodied seaman). He grew tired of the lonely lifestyle however, and returned to England to lead a string of jobs. These included a railway fireman, a longshoreman (dock worker), a truck driver, a milkman, a boxer, a policeman, a postmaster and a stand up comic. During this time he also worked as a playwright and a poet, his first plunges into writing. Mr. Jacques final and most well known career was as a children's author, and he remained one until his death. While an author, he received an honorary doctorate of literature from the University of Liverpool.

FAMILY
James Brian Jacques' parents were James Alfred Jacques and Ellen Ryan. He had several brothers and sisters, including one named James, for a total of three James Jacques in his immediate family. For this reason he elected to be called by his middle name, Brian. He married his wife Maureen née Robatile and had two children, Marc and David.

INSPIRATIONS
"Mice are my heroes, because like children, they must be courageous and learn to use their wits."

Mr. Jacques had many sources to draw upon for ideas in his books. Many of the characters and situations in his stories are based upon the author's real life experiences. Growing up during World War Two, food was scarce for young Jacques. He has stated that he was disappointed with the lack of victualer detail in children's books, and spent hours poring over his mother's Victorian cookbooks, imagining such lavish dishes as fresh summer salad and cream custard. In his books he vowed to change this precedent and has even published a Redwall cookbook. Even the accents and attitudes of entire species have been decided through his memories of childhood. The hares of the Long Patrol are based on those strapping lads of the R.A.F., and the Gousim Shrews are drawn from Liverpool dockworkers. Many specific characters are built from his family and friends and some are even based on fans. He himself (As a tough kid around the docks of Liverpool) is portrayed as Gonff, The Prince of Mousethieves. Not all of the people in his life have been goodies though, and his fellow sailors in the merchant marine are used to create the sea rats that terrorize Mossflower's shores,.

THE START OF REDWALL
"I do not like the term Fantasy. It describes the smack of swords, and dungeons and dragons, and this is not at all the feeling of my books. I like to think of my books as old fashioned adventures that happened long ago and far away. In fact, good yarns are how I describe them."
Redwall began while Mr. Jacques was working as a milk delivery man. The Royal Liverpool school for the blind was on his route, and he often stopped to read stories to the children. Disappointed by the prominence of teenage angst in books, he set out to write a story that would appeal to all ages, but still retain the magic than only true imagination can provide. Redwall was handwritten on eight hundred sheets of recycled paper, and first made its way to publishers through Alan Durband, an old friend of the author. Jacques was not told of this meeting but still got a contract for the first five books in the series. The twenty-second and final novel of the Redwall series was published posthumously in May 2011.

DEATH
Mr. Jacques died on February fifth 2011 From an aortic aneurism (heart attack). His death affected his friends, his family and his readers. His legacy lies in the more than 30 books published in 28 languages that he has left behind. A strong advocate of fan fiction, he encouraged his readers to create their own adventures, so Redwall lives on in the hearts of millions.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
"Brian Jacques:" Brian Jacques: The Official Website. 2015
"Brian Jacques." Famous Authors. N.p., n.d. Web. 2015.
"Brian Jacques." The Guardian. N.p., n.d. Web. 2015
"Brian Jacques." Goodreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 2015
"Brian Jacques." Kidsreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 2015.
"Brian Jacques." Redwall Wiki. N.p., n.d. Web. 2015.
"Brian Jacques." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 2015.
"Brian Jacques." The Telegraph. N.p., n.d. Web. 2015.
"Brian Jacques." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 2015.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!"

"What I'm doing is telling a story. People who try to dissect my words are sadly disillusioned."

"A warrior is not a bully but someone who would help you against the bully, who would stand up for someone weaker than themselves."

"The point of Redwall is to be a warrior. A warrior isn't Arnold Schwarzneggar or some idiot in a black belt who can kill you with a belch from forty yards off."

Lady Ashenwyte

Awesome!  :)
Quote from: Thomas Barkshield on January 27, 2015, 04:50:17 AM
For L.A. class I recently wrote A biography on Brian Jaques. I have decided to post it here for all to enjoy.

And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!

Tolkien used roman mythology in his stories too.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Eulaliaaa!

This is amazing, it's very well written.  ;D
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

The Skarzs

This is an extremely commendable work, Thomas; well done! You truly captured my interest, and it almost made me see Mr. Jacques face to face.

I am going to ask a mod if this can be posted somewhere as a pinned topic.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Thomas Barkshield

Good to see you all like it! Its going to have a diorama project attached to it, which I will post as soon as its done.

Wot, wot!

"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

Skyblade

Very good and an interesting idea :) Keep going!!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Mhera