Duel?

Started by Wylder Treejumper, January 25, 2016, 07:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

Duel, anybody? Timing uncertain, I don't know exactly when I'll be free...

But it will be fun!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

LT Sandpaw

I'd be honored sir Treejumper.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Wylder Treejumper

Indeed. Where would you like to duel, good sir?
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

LT Sandpaw

Excellent, excellent indeed master Treejumper. Mayhap a fine gentlebeastly duel on a bridge over the River Moss, or in the courtyard of Castle Floret, or even on the grassy lanes in Noonvale.

Wylder Treejumper

Aye. Castle Floret sounds ideal. Perhaps a duel for the honor of a fair maiden? ;D
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

LT Sandpaw

Perfect, I think such a fight would be befitting for us. What shall our species be, squirrel? or some other creature?

Wylder Treejumper

That would be sensible; it is the squirrel kingdom.

I'll start working up my character, then. Do you wish to be hero, villain, or just competitor?

Name: Sir Fenric Galante (Pronounced "Guh-lont")

Species: Squirrel

Weapons: Straightsword, longbow (not used in dueling)

Physical Description: Sir Galante is a strong, lithe squirrel, thin but with broad shoulders. He has blue eyes and darker red-brown fur. When he is within Castle Floret, he is usually wearing his castle guard uniform: a chainmail doublet, and a surcoat and shield bearing the Royal Arms. He always wears his sword hanging from his belt.

Personality: Fenric is a quiet, dedicated squirrel; not comfortable with decorous or rowdy social occasions. He is kind, considerate, and absolutely loyal, however, and that has won over many who have gotten to know him (including Princess Leana). Of course, he sometimes comes across as somewhat cool and aloof; that and his rigid ideals have made others look on him as prideful and unfriendly.

History:  At this period, Southsward is a more dangerous place due to internal conflict between the lords, and the King is mostly powerless to stop them.

Fenric was born a commoner to a town guard captain and his wife. He grew up around swords and was well trained in their use; he joined his father's guard unit when he was a young man. One day when he was out on patrol with his father, the King's cavalcade came through his road on their way to an outlying province. The town guard joined the group as an honor guard, and unwittingly involved itself in a deadly quarrel. The Royal Guard had been payed off by the House of Derreth, second-in-line to the throne. A large contingent of vermin mercenaries attacked them, and the bribed guards fled, leaving only the (in comparison) poorly-equipped and trained town guard patrol. Fenric's father was slain by an arrow, and Fenric took up his sword and his command, rallied the guard and held the attackers off long enough for the king to retreat and reinforcements to arrive. While he was grievously wounded in the battle, after he recovered he was knighted by the King and appointed to the Royal Guard for his brave and loyal actions.

Other:
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

LT Sandpaw

I would prefer the villain if that is okay with you. I shall play as the crafty Count Captic Flint. Whose search for power has led him to fight for the Princess of Southsward. What shall her name be?

Name: Count Captic Flint
Species: Squirrel
Weapons: A Fencing saber, and a balanced dagger.
Appearance: Captic is a tall, handsome red furred squirrel in the prime of his life. His exceptionally gaunt face is the only negative aspect of his looks. He is fit, and healthy with tufted ears and glossy fur. Count Flint wears a Blue tunic and cloak with silver clasps. A well made belt and sheath of shark skin holds his weapons. He also wears a pair of black gloves. On his left paw is a silver ring with his family's coat of arms imprinted onto it.

Personality: Captic is a proud creature devoted to the furthering of his family name, Flint. Behind his prideful and arrogant air he is a lover of great art, and humor. He is often sarcastic and likes to belittle creatures with his dry wit. He also considers himself to be very handsome and can be rather vain.

Backstory: Born within his father's lands Captic was taught from an early age he was above other creatures. He was taught the ways of a nobebeast, to speak several languages, to understand politics, how to be courteous, to fight if necessary, and all the other things gentlebeasts are supposed to know.

Delthion

A fencing sabre! A fine weapon! ;D

(Couldn't help myself... ;D)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

LT Sandpaw

I agree Master Delthion, it is a fine weapons indeed.

Wylder Treejumper

Her Highness the Princess Leana Tsarmynn of Southsward.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

LT Sandpaw

Sounds good to me.

Wylder Treejumper

OK Lieutenant, we should figure out how we end up in this duel.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

LT Sandpaw

Seeing as your the hero in the one, I'd assume Fenric would come out on top.

So how about the story behind the duel is that Captic was attempting to swoon the princess when Fenric steps in and basically asks Captic to shove off. So then Captic 'who is of noble blood' challenges Fenric to a duel. Thus the duel.

What do you think?

As for the ending, I don't think our characters should kill each other. Something like Captic getting injured so he can't fight on, so he's forced to yield.

Wylder Treejumper

Nah, that wouldn't quite do it. Fenric respects the right of the Princess to choose for herself; indeed he's a bit insecure about his common birth. In any case, he would not act so rude and confrontational. Now, if he heard Captic insult her honor, or uncovered a plot, then he would immediately exercise his knightly privilege and challenge him to a duel.

Besides, is Captic so confident in his abilities he would challenge a knight and Royal Guard to a duel?

And yes, I agree that no death should ensue.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington