Commentary on the Book The Sable Quean

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book The Sable Quean.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

belle

I remember nothing about the book, so I guess not that memorable.

MeadowR

Just finished my re-read of this. It did start off not seeming particularly different... but then I kind of warmed to it (probably illustrating the series' enduring appeal for me). I don't think too much happens in terms of adventure in this story, with most things happening in Redwall itself, and bit in 'Althier'. I liked the reference to old Brockhall. Also good to see another nasty piece of work of a normally 'good' woodlander, oh, and having a mole warrior introduced. :)

My main issue was with the Sable Quean, Vilaya, for the most part was not a particularly fleshed-out villain. You're told she's this and that, yet you don't really see it until you get a little more of a taster in the last part of the book, but even then she's not a really intriguing character. I kept thinking back to Ungatt Trunn (sp) and how we were given moments with him alone in the badgerlord's chamber with his thoughts, watching his spiders weave webs, all to flesh out his being - but here you're not really getting more of a personality. Zwilt had more about him, though not even he was too interesting.

Not the most exciting book, and a bit generic in places, but also with a few somewhat different moments to make it worth a read. I still got something out of it. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Cornflower MM

Welcome to the twenty first book in our series readalong event: The Sable Quean!

For those who have not already seen, here are a couple things to note before you start discussing:

• Please keep your posts here and in the entirety of the General Discussion board on-topic and constructive. When discussing topics like favorites, it always helps to give reasoning as to why you chose your favorite character, scene, etc. When in doubt, add more! It is always fun to see what other people think and respectfully debate with them.
  • If you would like to participate but don't own the book, there are a few resources that may be of use to you. Libby, Audible, and (of course) your local library, are all good ways to rent books/audiobooks for free (Audible is free only for the first 30-day trial). There is no harm in permanently expanding your Redwall collection, though, if you can afford it!
  • Unfortunately, there are no podcast episodes for this book yet. However, you can keep an eye out for them (as well as listen to previous book episodes and fun bonus content!) here, in the official Recorder on the Wall topic!
    If you have created any writing, art, voice acting, or any other form of media based on this book and/or its characters, send a link (or image if it is art) to me through PMs and I will share it in this post! Seeing how other people portray the story through their own work is a wonderful way to be drawn deeper into the story and wider Redwall community.

Finally, here are a few guiding questions for discussion if you are unsure what to talk about:

• Who is your favorite character, and why do you regard them as your favorite?
    • Who was your least favorite character, and why did they bother you?
    • What was your favorite scene? What stuck out to you about it?
    • What are your thoughts on the book as a whole? Where does it rank against other Redwall books and why?
    • Do you have any theories or small details others may not have picked up on when reading?
    • And anything else you want to mention!

Have fun, and happy discussing!

EdwardBear

This is one I have not read unfortuantely. How is Mariel of Redwall. I have yet to read one I dislike. Anyone know Susan Togget wgatsherface?

clunylooney

This one was always fine to me. Zwilt is a great villain and I like the two main characters (I can't remember their names) If I remember correctly they had a bit of a George and Lennie type relationship. I wonder if Jaques make them hares as a reference.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

thepixelmurderer

Don't know why, but Sable Quean is one of my favorites. I think if I had to try to explain it, it feels sort of like Jacques had finally perfected the Redwall formula with this book. It's absolutely predictable, no doubt, but it's so much fun to read that I couldn't care less about that.
The OG Redwall book was the weakest one, and I stand by that.
Also, I made a list of word counts of the Redwall series: https://www.reddit.com/r/eulalia/comments/gkmce1/word_counts_of_redwall_all_books/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Corporal Butty Wopscutt

Coming from the audiobook I really liked the songs in this one. A lot of them had a fun whimsical and nostalgic feel to them. As for the characters I really enjoyed Diggs and Buck and their friendship and how they worked well together even though they were quite different in personality and skill set. Axtel was great too, who doesn't like a warrior mole? 

Kenji Admani

i1 uncle read me part of sablequeen i didnt really understand sablequeen that much.idont know