News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Undecided

Started by The Skarzs, January 25, 2017, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

Raleigh awoke with a start, her currently frizzy head mere inches away from the small dish of apple slices on her left, and the somehow un-spilled cup of spiced cider in her right paw. She shook her head, trying to clear the fog... It took a couple of moments, but she managed to recall the events of the previous night, and let out a sore moan as her physical state hit like a falling branch... For the second time that morning. The squirrel forced herself to take a long swig from her drink, still trying to return full clarity. Sleep eluded her last night, potential mistakes in the surgery plaguing her conscious self, intermixed with the newly introduced threat upon their relative peace. She'd indulged in her bad habit of climbing to the roof, but it didn't help nearly as much this time around, looking upon the many fires dotting the landscape below. A shallow doze enveloped her eventually, but was rudely interrupted by a light drizzle not more than 3 hours later at dawn. After all that, and a creaky trip back down, she'd made her groggy way to breakfast. It was here that she was found soon after.

"Raleigh? Hey Raleigh! You're need in the infirmary straight away! The patient's causing quite the stir."

Paws covered Raleigh's face as she dropped the empty beaker onto the table with a thump, sighing with a solid note of exasperation, "Not fully awake for more than thirty seconds and already we're having a miniature crisis, mercy me, what's it all coming to?" Her lazy eyes caught hold of the assistant, "Thank you, I'll be on my way momentarily." Her speech was slow, though not as slow as her standing up, sore muscles whining for relief. Duty demanded haste however, she ducked through the kitchen while rolling up her sleeves to get a splash of water to make one quick rinse of her forearms and wipe away some of the morning yuck from her face. Her aching footsteps pattered up the stairwell, pausing in front of the infirmary door to cinch back some of her excess head fur and attempt to straighten her crooked point of an ear. The dying sounds of commotion were the last muffled sounds Raleigh heard before she opened the door, "What seems to be the problem?" She almost pancaked the caretaker on the other side, but caught her before she fell, "Goodness sister, I'm so sorry!" After checking over the surprised yet relieved sister, the squirrel asked again, "So, problems?" Cheer was ever so slowly oozing back into her, but she couldn't muster more than upturned cheeks at the moment.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

The Skarzs

The mouse sister answered hurriedly. "He's in a lot of pain. I was going to get a poultice and have him take some wild lettuce to help numb the pain. But he needs to stay in bed."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"He needs t' stay in bed," sneered Twisty, attempting to rise.
"What if'n I don't wanna stay in bed? I'm goin' t' get some food!"

Dannflower Reguba

Raleigh turned on Twisty, speaking gently as she approached him "Why, that sounds like a great idea, why don't we bring you down to the kitchen to get it fresh?" As she neared the rat, one of her arms slowly extended towards Twisty as if to help him up, before quickly going for the cast with a harsh flick right to the underside of his injured wrist. She figured the resulting pain would be a far better argument than her words alone, "That arm of yours is still severely damaged. Moving around at all runs you the risk of making it go back to the way it was, and going downstairs to eat?" Her arms were already crossed, and her tone was already stern, but her eyes turned cold as ice as she finished, "I'd probably have to amputate your entire forearm with the kind of pressure that would be put on your wound, understand?!" She let out her pent up breath, softening in both expression and tone, "I know it hurts Twisty, and that sitting still can be quite the chore some times, but you need to understand that what we do and say is for your best interest.... Tell you what, I'll go down and have one of the cooks put together something a little extra for you, you liked those chestnuts yesterday?" Raleigh was sitting on the bed to his side now, a grin finally sprouting as she waited for his response.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Ashleg

First, Twisty yowled, and tears sprang unbidden to his eyes. The pain was like wildfire surging through his wrist.
Second, he let the anger set in, and he welcomed it.

"So I can-can't eat do-down wi'h yer, but I 'kin eat up 'ere where nobeast is...makes a load o' sense t'me!"
Ears flat, he curled his lips to show his sharp yellow teeth.
"Just because yer Raleigh don't mean you can do whatever ye like with me."

Dannflower Reguba

"No, I'm your surgeon, which means I do whatever's in your body's best interest, regardless of whether or not you like it at the time. Now put those unkempt teeth away unless you want them pulled out." Raleigh sent the sister away to fetch a small tray before rising to take a trip around the corner of the room. Soon returning with a fat, three wick candle, and a small pan. She ignited the candle and propped the pan above the flames, continuing to speak as she did so, "Why are you making this process so difficult? I've done nothing but try to help and see the best in you since you arrived, and you respond by trying to intimidate me so you can do something outrageously stupid and harmful." The smell of lemon sifted through the air like a fresh wind through an old ditch. Raleigh turned, a mixed look of pity and frustration plainly evident, "The only thing I'm trying to do by having you be still and rest is heal your hand, this has nothing to do with anybeast else... But if it's conversation you're after, I could send up one of your caring friends, or maybe Elijah, he'd probably be interested in having a long, one on one conversation with any of you..... Or you could simply behave and deal with me instead, and something tells me that'd be preferred... It's funny really, most your age would jump at the chance to sit around and do nothing and not be yelled at for it."

Ashleg

"It's not bein' able t' do what I wants wot gets me," Twisty growled under his breath, sniffing in the aroma of lemon.
The rat plopped down with a puff of resignation.
A small grin flicked past his face. "'Ow'd you know that's preferred?"

Dannflower Reguba

Raleigh chuckled, "Let's just say it's a ladie's intuition." She flopped dramatically onto the moan, the soreness returning to the forefront of her mind, "Ughhh, I should've taken some of the stuff I gave you last night, couldn't possibly be worse than what I'm feeling now." She simply rested for awhile, but her curious mind started bringing up some old questions. She sat up and leaned on her right arm to ask Twisty who was now across the aisle from her, "What really happened... I mean, why's this warlord after you. It's plain to see there's more to it than Darrin or anybeast else has let on, and I can't help but wonder what it is."

Ashleg

The rat's grin grew crooked and gnarled.
He laughed. "Darrin robbed 'im blind, Hacklaw. Then ole addlebrain Lumppaw an' 'is friends got drunk an' said some interestin' things to that stoat--well, they won't be doin' it no more. They're dead now!"

Twisty began snickering, though it was nervous snickering, and plopped down on his back.
He hung his sore paw over the edge of the bed.

"Sometimes I thinks I should'a gone an' joined up with 'acklaw. Not everybeast's lucky as you t' get born inter some pretty liddle h'abbey."

Dannflower Reguba

Twisty's revelation came as no surprise, and brought some much-needed clarity to the problem at hand..... But some invisible force tugged at Raleigh's heart, as if to say she should keep quiet. Indeed, their story was a sad one, and the thought of the conditions these vermin grew up in only made it more tragic... Everything in her world was either clearly right, or clearly wrong, but did they even learn what the two were? She spoke again, "Well, I can't deny your last statement, though I must ask about the first... Would you have been happy working for a tyrant?"

Ashleg

"I'd not be on somebeast's hitlist an' that would be that," Twisty sneered, wishing she was beside him again and not across the aisle. He propped himself up.
"What, are you happy all the time?"

Dannflower Reguba

"Nobeast is always happy, though they may try to appear so... Tell me then, is living a miserable life under this Hacklaw better than trying to find something that you could take joy in?" Her eyes grew downcast, "I can't really say that I understand, and I certainly can't live your life for you.... I guess I just think it's silly to.... Never mind." Raleigh sighed, still attempting to wrap her head around vermin lifestyles.

Ashleg

I found something, Twisty wanted to say. It's you, you're special!
Instead, he squinted and examined his paw again, tongue lolling out of the side of his mouth.
"Can't take joy if'n I'm dead," he remarked, tail swishing to and fro. Agitation.
"I don't want to die."

The Skarzs

Hacklaw sat in front of a fire, slowly turning a bird on a spit. He looked up at the big building they were keeping under siege. He would need to put some plan into action.
  "Rallowan, c'mere."
  The fox approached Hacklaw.
  "Bring a few creatures an' head down th' path, see what's there. Keep yer eyes open for anybeast we can capture."

OOC: @Cornflower MM Do you want your character Deknal to go with Rallowan?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

OOC: Sure.

BIC: Rowan nodded slowly. "Yes, I started to help Twisty. He's in the Infirmary, getting his paw fixed. Raleigh did surgery, I think. He'll be out of commission for a few days." She said, hoping she hadn't said the wrong thing.