Chickens in redwall

Started by cluneythescourge, May 04, 2013, 02:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoranMBane

Yeah, it's actually pretty neat how the flax seed trick works. You just take about one tablespoon of flax meal and three tablespoons of water for every egg you would otherwise need, mix them together and leave them to set for about ten minutes, and it turns into this goop that honestly has the consistency of runny eggs. And the best part is that you can lick the whisk and mixing bowl clean afterwards without worrying about getting sick. ;)

Hickory

Quote from: SoranMBane on July 31, 2015, 05:16:53 AM
As a vegan myself, I can perhaps provide some insight into the eggs-and-baked-goods dilemma. Assuming that the Redwallers have access to flax seeds (which they probably do, given the fact that they also have linen), then a mix of flax seed meal and water can actually be used a substitute for eggs in most baking recipes. I've tried it myself in cake and cupcakes, and it works quite well. If not flax seeds specifically, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Redwallers have some other similar trick that they use.

I've used flax "eggs" in several vegan recipies, notably black bean brownies. I actually make cakes that are vegan, depending on the ingredients, and I've found that with certain recipies you can actually substitute water for milk.

There's also the distinct possibility of a staple item in the smoothies I make, which is almond milk. You can also make almond butter, instead of peanut butter, but the almond version is much more bland. (perhaps because it is more natural. Obviously.)

However Brian Jaques actually stated, in Volume three of Ask Brian (or some such book), "Green sap milk is my solution. The sap of many plants can be used to make vegetarian versions of milk, cream butter, and cheese."
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.