News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Chickens in redwall

Started by cluneythescourge, May 04, 2013, 02:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz_Bumble

My guess would have been somewhere in Asia, so I was close.

Of course, that still doesn't answer the question of which came first, the chicken curry or the egg curry?  ;)

Rusvul

I would imagine the chicken curry. No, but wait, where did the chicken curry hatch from. Right. Wait, who laid the egg curry? Aargh!

Ungatt Trunn

In reality, there were several chickens in Redwall. What else could the braveless vermin who try to linger at the back of the attack line be ;D?

Life is too short to rush through it.

Buzz_Bumble

Cowardly custards? Yellow-belly yokels?  ;)

The ones at the back are usually the lazy leaders.  :(

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 10, 2013, 08:27:02 AM

The ones at the back are usually the lazy leaders.  :(
Not always ;D

Life is too short to rush through it.

Buzz_Bumble

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 09, 2013, 02:45:02 AM
My guess would have been somewhere in Asia, so I was close.

Of course, that still doesn't answer the question of which came first, the chicken curry or the egg curry?  ;)
Hmm... that's a tough question to answer.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Kitsune

Belffelyne Hare

This is rather odd. There are actually two characters named after chickens.

Chickenhound, as mentioned before, and the rat Henbit from The Long Patrol. How did he manage to get bitten by something that does not exist?
Brigadier Belffelyne Biggs, at Your Service

Izeroth

In the Redwall Universe, Chickenhound and Henbit are just names; they don't necessarily mean anything. It's worth noting that Redwall was Brian Jacques' first book, so he hadn't finished establishing the lore.

The Skarzs

^ In regards to Henbit the name might have just been coincidental. He did Fleabit, so maybe he just thought that Henbit sounded like a good vermin name and kept it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Stellamara

This is actually a very timely topic for me, because I was thinking about all those amazing dishes Mr. Jacques describes in the feast scenes. While we've debated (and concluded) that the few mentions of milk in the Redwall universe are either out-of-canon or are derived from a plant resource, like milkweed or dandelion sap. But what about eggs? Making baked goods is ridiculously hard without eggs. They are literally not fluffy in the least, and I speak as one who forgot to put eggs in a batch of blueberry muffins one time.

So maybe there are chickens? Do you think the woodlanders are collecting eggs from the birds of the forest? The Sparra would have NONE of that, I'm certain. ;D

Jukka the Sling

Well, I know that you can leave eggs out of a recipe if you add in extra liquid.  I never thought the fluffiness of baked goods is dependent upon the eggs...
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

SoranMBane

As a vegan myself, I can perhaps provide some insight into the eggs-and-baked-goods dilemma. Assuming that the Redwallers have access to flax seeds (which they probably do, given the fact that they also have linen), then a mix of flax seed meal and water can actually be used a substitute for eggs in most baking recipes. I've tried it myself in cake and cupcakes, and it works quite well. If not flax seeds specifically, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Redwallers have some other similar trick that they use.

Stellamara

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on July 31, 2015, 01:23:18 AM
Well, I know that you can leave eggs out of a recipe if you add in extra liquid.  I never thought the fluffiness of baked goods is dependent upon the eggs...

It was in those muffins, at least. They turned out more like very dry scones.  :P

That's really interesting about flaxseed! Chemistry is so great!