News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Great War of the Redwall World

Started by alderbowbeast, November 20, 2014, 03:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alderbowbeast

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on January 18, 2015, 09:11:22 PM
Actually, Brian Jacques never said Cluny and his army were from the North. It is rumored that he was a Portuguese (spelling?) rat, but no one knows for sure. The book states that he was a bilge rat, but other than that, there is no certain information. I think Brian Jacques meant to have Cluny be a mystery, with no one knowing where he came from.

Actually we do know that Cluny and his army were from the north based on their path of travel and the events of Redwall.  First, we know that he had never been in the area before, otherwise his name wouldn't have been a myth or one to frighten dibbuns with.  The second way we know he's from the north is because of path.  When attacking Redwall Cluny and his army camp at St. Ninians which is south of Redwall (see the map in the front of the book).  Second Cluny is quoted saying "Trail back to the west.  I think we passed a big place on the way."  We know they were following the north/south road which is revealed to only go north and south in other books.  The only way they could have passed Redwall and ended up at St. Ninians is to have been traveling from the north.

-Alder, Recorder of Redwall and Mossflower Country
Alder, Recorder of Redwall Abbey and Mossflower Country

Lady Ashenwyte

Cluny might have come in the North and then he might have been defeated there, seeing how the rats hadn't marched their way to Redwall and they were in a cart, suggesting Cluny was defeated once before Redwall. He could still be a Portuguese rat that way.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Izeroth

Quote from: alderbowbeast on March 10, 2015, 04:08:32 AM
Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on January 18, 2015, 09:11:22 PM
Actually, Brian Jacques never said Cluny and his army were from the North. It is rumored that he was a Portuguese (spelling?) rat, but no one knows for sure. The book states that he was a bilge rat, but other than that, there is no certain information. I think Brian Jacques meant to have Cluny be a mystery, with no one knowing where he came from.

Actually we do know that Cluny and his army were from the north based on their path of travel and the events of Redwall.  First, we know that he had never been in the area before, otherwise his name wouldn't have been a myth or one to frighten dibbuns with.  The second way we know he's from the north is because of path.  When attacking Redwall Cluny and his army camp at St. Ninians which is south of Redwall (see the map in the front of the book).  Second Cluny is quoted saying "Trail back to the west.  I think we passed a big place on the way."  We know they were following the north/south road which is revealed to only go north and south in other books.  The only way they could have passed Redwall and ended up at St. Ninians is to have been traveling from the north.

-Alder, Recorder of Redwall and Mossflower Country

The book mentions, I believe, that Cluny was thought to have come from far-away jungles. Jungles don't typically grow in the North, do they?  ;)

LT Sandpaw

The book also mentions that Cluny was the foulest rat to jump from ship to shore or something like that. If he was originally a pirate he could be from basically anywhere and simply landed North of the Abbey.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Stonestripe

Quote from: Tam and Martin on December 15, 2014, 12:50:10 AM
Wow...... just wow.......

Where did you get all those awesome ideas?  :D

That's amazing!!!!

I have read the books quite a few times and as far as I can tell all the ideas come from the books. He conneted them in a way that really makes sense and makes for a fun thing to ponder. I would have loved reading a book that ties it all together especially adding the Eagles and Hawks that come from the highlands.
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords"

Marthimeo

The books do mention a lot of hints that this could have happened

Dylan Reguba

QuoteHowever, the next empire would spring from the South in the form of yet another cat kingdom, namely that of Malkarkis.

I think if you read Mattimeo it says that Malkaris was a polecat. A polecat isn't a cat at all, really; it's more closely related to ferrets. (One could argue that they're the same species, but it's all rather confusing.)

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on the discussion.
"I am called Reguba, as was my father before me. When danger threatens and you have to face the foebeast, then you will know you are Reguba, bravest of the brave!"
Rusvul

Sanddunes

I do like this thoery but I'm also interested in the Great Vermin War mention in Eulalia

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 05, 2017, 04:23:06 AM
Was there one? I don't recall.

Yeah It mention how Gorath's parents fought and died in the war

Ashleg

With a name like that it sounds like it would have been just vermin against vermin, funny that Woodlanders got roped up in it.

(Of course they did...nosy buggers.)

Sanddunes

Quote from: Ashleg on September 05, 2017, 06:10:58 AM
With a name like that it sounds like it would have been just vermin against vermin, funny that Woodlanders got roped up in it.

(Of course they did...nosy ants.)

that could be the case with the vermin armies also attacking the woodlanders problem is Brian didn't talk about it that much

Ashleg

Well, it'd make fer a good fanfiction.

Sanddunes