News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

My new fanfiction

Started by Hickory, April 07, 2015, 07:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

Ah, now I get how Ben and Ned came to be in the water.  I'm enjoying your writing, Sage.  Captain Baudin is an interesting character; I'm not sure yet how I feel about him, but I can tell there's more to him than we've so far seen.  He makes me think of Thuron.  You've captured Ben and Ned well in this chapter, especially Ben's habit of not responding to comments and his and Ned's responsiveness to each other's emotions.  The sections of the Castaways books that take place on the water are usually darker than the parts taking place on land, and this has been reflected in your writing.  Well done!

Hickory

I did think of thuron when writing about Baudin. *sigh*
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Hickory

I kinda cranked this one out, enjoy.

Chapter 4

"Boy! Can't you go any faster? My hair's growin' faster then you are moving!"

Ben and Arron were currently perched on the main topsail, busy unfurling the sail to full. Orders had been shouted up by Alberto that the lookout had spotted two smaller, one-sailed dinghys headed their way and the captain, believing them to be pirates, wanted to avoid any combat and outrun them. They were now halfway to the United States and the middle of the Atlantic ocean wasn't the best place to be attacked and boarded.

Ben hadn't been on a ship for quite a while, and fumbled with the sail. He glanced down and saw a black shape down on the deck. Probably Ned. He went back to untieing the sail, but not before he cought a thought from from his dog.

"Looks like hard work up there."

Ben ignored him.

"So, those pirates don't seem very nice."

Ben tried not to react. If Arron saw him grimacing for no reason... he turned to Arron. "My dog looks a bit upset, I should go calm him down."

But before he made it across the spar, Arron clapped a hand on his shoulder. "First, he's not your dog. He's our dog. Second, you're not goin' anywhere."

Ben attempted to pull a pained expresssion. "Sir, he could attack someone in his state. He's not been himself since we came aboard."

Arron gave Ben a bemused look before letting him pass.

Ned wagged his tail when Ben finally reached the deck. "Must've been a fancy bit of lying you did there, to get past him."

At least Ned was no worse for wear after the dream. Ben uncerimoniously grabbed him by the scruff and hauled the dog belowdecks and into a small room. He slammed the door and listened for any possible eavesdroppers before saying, "What the hell are you thinking? We need to get off this ship as soon as we reach America, or risk having another... encounter with the Flying Dutchman. Now is definitely not the time to make idle conversation while I'm busy earning our keep. Behave yourself."

Ned dropped his tail. "Mate, I never meant to upset you."

Ben let go of his dog and sat back. "I suppose I'm a little high-strung after the dream..."

Ned slumped to the floor. "Me too. We just need a rest."

His eyes were started to close when Ben stoop up. "No, we don't. Arron probably thinks that I'm doing something wrong, I need to get back. You, you need to return to the kitchen. The battlefield is no place for you. I've lost enough people."

Cadby 'Slick n' Sly' Denholm, contrary to the tattered condition of his boats, was an honest pirate. Until, of course, he smelled gold, upon which he would draw a cutlass and attack the enemy crew with the ferocity of a starving wolf. His own crew, which was a motley group of theives-turned sailors, was barely able to tie a proper knot, let alone crew a ship. There was at least a few of his men who were proper sailors, and he immediately singled them out and made them his strong right arm. With a bit of luck they came across a ship or two each month.

Now he watched the Lady Fortune through his spyglass, particularly keen on what was going on up on the rigging. They must have spotted his ships. Judging by the height his prey was floating in the water, he knew that she was low on cargo. Damn. He was taking a risk here, but if the ship was the one he though it was, plenty of countries would pay a pretty penny for the captain. Alan Baudin was a valuble player in the game of merchants.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

I honestly haven't read this series. However, the fanfic is well-written - good work.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!