0 (0%)
Not really...
0 (0%)
This is awful *vomits*
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Groddil

Chapter 12
Deep within Mossflower Woods, near an old, crumbling castle, was a small church. The church too was old and breaking down, but it was habitated. A fading sign read "S AINT NINIANS." The church was home to a tribe of mice, led by a warrior named Martin. Martin had led his tribe for many seasons, but now age was starting to slow him down. Martin had a young son, and to this son he passed on his sword and went wandering. After plodding through the woods all day, the mouse took refuge for the night in the boughs of a oak tree. Sleep soon claimed Martin, and he started to dream.

In his dream, Martin ran through snow, running from a voice, from screams and yells. Tripping on a tree root, he landed in snow. The mouse hauled himself up, and found himself at the feet of a wildcat. It grabbed him by the throat and snarled in his face.

"Trust the mousey and the mole,
            Put your trust not in the vole,
            Don't follow the spikes that point the way,
            Or I will kill you on that day.

I am Mortspear, King of Snow,
            From my mountain I will throw,
            You until you hit the ground,
            Then your screams would be the most wonderful sound!
"

Ungatt Trunn stood tall at the stern of the ship, Januul and Ironpaw stood behind him, restraining Junter. The young squirrel was a miserable affair, he found it difficult to breathe, his face had been bloodied and smashed from the wildcat's vengeance, his wrist was cut from where he was chained to the oar, and he had a sack filled with slingstones tied to his footpaw. Trunn screamed at the downtroden slaves.
"THIS is what happens when you disobey. THIS is what happens when you disagree. THIS is what happens when you attack your lords and rulers. This squirrel...your name. WHAT IS YOUR NAME, SQUIRREL!"
Junter grinned bravely as the wildcat's claws dug into him.
"My name doesn't matter. All that matters is that if you kill me, you will never get away with your crimes."
Trunn grabbed the squirrel's head and smashed it into the mizzenmast.
"This insolent little beast has been charged with assault, treason, attempted murder, and rude behaviour. As the firstborn son of King Mortspear and Captain-in-Chief of his armies, I sentence him to death!"
The wildcat nodded to Januul and Ironpaw, who grabbed the struggling squirrel and stood him on the edge of the ship. Ungatt Trunn walked smartly over and kicked Junter square in the ribs. The squirrel swayed on the edge of the ship, until Trunn kicked the sack of slingstones over. The weight dragged Junter off the ship and into the ocean, where he sank like a stone. The young squirrel writhed desperately as he was dragged into the depths of the sea. The wildcat gave a satisfied smirk and pointed at the slaves.
"Januul, Ironpaw. Chain the slaves back up. I want us to make landfall in the South before the sun sets two days from now. If we don't more slaves will meet the squirrel's fate!"

Groddil

Chapter 13
Toolum and Spinetingle, ladden with vittle-stuffed packs, ambled slowly down the mountain. From their ledge, they could see all the way to the coast, to the Port of Saltstone, where the path found its end. The two creatures deduced that the only way they could possibly catch up was by boat. Had they known that Ungatt Trunn's ship had been delayed by stormy seas, they probably would have walked. As it was, the hedgehog and the mole toddled off along the path to the port.

Martin couldn't breathe. He woke startled from his dream and pawed his throat. A rope had been fixed around his neck and was being pulled from behind him. The mouse was forced up against the tree trunk as he groped for his dagger. He found the handle and sliced the rope. Martin dropped the dagger and spluttered. A rock hit his branch, causing the mouse to fall. He picked up the dagger and moaned.
"I'm getting too old for this!"
In a flash, the warrior mouse jumped round the tree and threw the dagger at one of the dark forms. He heard a squeal and rushed forward. The creature was some sort of rat, but it was different to any rat he'd seen before. It was covered in strange paint, and clutched a spear. Martin wrenched the spear from the dead rat's paws and threw it at another. More screams echoed through the trees, followed by the crashing noises of branches snapping, closer and closer to where they were. Martin retrieved the dagger and took a spear from another slain rat. He stood there menacingly, trying to fix his eyes on the rats, when he saw something out of the corner of his eye and everything went black.

Mortspear had been in a rare jolly mood when Alpina was slain. He declared the whole season the Winter of Long Feasts, and personally rose a cup to Captain Nole and the rat Darkpaw. Darkpaw relished in his new-found fame, but Nole was wary. Things like this just made it harder on you when you made mistakes, not counting how much the regular cannon fodder hated it when Officers got all the credit. As such, Nole kept in the background, always letting the ever annoying and loatheable Darkpaw give the speeches or get the toasts. The lucky little wretch even took Shorttail's position as Captain. Nole wouldn't have cared, had Shorttail not have been her second-in-command. Nole let herself have a chuckle despite her anger. The grunts wouldn't take orders from him, so the only good reason to have him along was to let him take the fall if something went wrong. She secretly hoped it did.

Groddil

Chapter 14
Martin groggily forced his eyes open. He stood upwards and hit his head on a piece of wood. The mouse rubbed his head and took in his surroundings. He had been imprisoned in a sturdy wooden cage, hanging high in the trees. The mouse shook the edges of the cage, but the prison wouldn't budge.
"Hello? Anyone? Who are you, rats? What do you want with me?"
The biggest rat, obviously the leader, shoved a tattooed paw into the cage, holding a bag of food.
"We Painted Ones. You captive. You eat."
Martin shook his head.
"No thanks, rat. I'm not hungry."
The Painted One lashed out with the sack, catching Martin a heavy blow across the back of his head. The rat thrust the food bag into Martin's arm.
"We Painted Ones. You captive. You eat. You eat or you die. Painted Ones have spoken. EAT!"

Spinetingle peered over the edge of a boulder at the Port of Saltstone. His eyes trained the docks looking for a suitable ship. The hedgehog finally settled his gaze on a small sloop, its single mast rigged with two sails. This was a ship built solely for speed, able to be piloted by a skeleton crew. Perfect. Spinetingle beckoned Toolum and spoke quietly, for fear of being overheard.
"See that ship there, the one with one mast 'n' two sails. There's no vermin around, run fer it!"
The two escapees dashed through the deserted town faster than an thirsty otter, quickly reaching the dock and boarding the sloop. Spinetingle tossed a dagger to Toolum as he set about unfurling the sails.
"Cut the anchor rope, we don't need it, then untie us from the dock."
The mole went about his task quickly, arriving back before Spinetingle had blinked. The hedgehog quickly took the rudder as Toolum gave the dock a quick push. The small ship, which bore its title proudly painted on the hull: "Hurricane," took off into the wind, in rapid pursuit of Ungatt Trunn and the Snow Demon.

With Winter over, Durgle sat anxiously awaiting his new ally's arrival. Surely after eating just enough to stay alive all winter, they should be able to squeeze through by now. Durgle called out, careful to make sure no vermin guards were about.
"Yew ready yet, zurr. Oi's gettin' boreded in 'ere!"
A muffled groan and a strained squeal echoed through the cell block. The creature scurried up to Durgle's cell. It was a mouse.
"Yep, we're ready. Name's Mel, what's yours?"
Durgle was astonished.
"Hurr, hurr. Yew's a mousemaid. Oi's suprised yew couldn't get through in the first place, burr aye. Name's Durgle."
Mel shook his paw through the bars.
"Okay Durgle, let me find a way to get you out of here!"

Groddil

In celebration of the forum getting restored, here's a nice huge chapter as a Christmas present.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 15
Mel snuck quiet as a shadow through the deserted halls of the prison deep beneath Nix Praesidium, Mortspear's Fortress. Looking through the keyhole of the door to the main keep, she saw a sturdily-built ferret, spear in paw, guarding the jail in the absence of Ironpaw. The mousemaid pondered for a moment, then kicked the door open and grabbed the ferret from behind, snapping his neck. She dragged the body into the prison and snatched the keys. Mel gave a chuckle. If these were Mortspear's professional soldiers, they'd be out in no time! Thinking only of freedom, she laughed merrily and jogged back to Durgle's cell. The mousemaid jingled the keys proudly.
"Told you I'd get you outta here, Durgle. 'Ang on a sec, I'll get this lock off.
Mel turned the key and led the mole to her cell. She locked the door behind her to keep the vermin out and bent the keys until they snapped beyond repair.
"Do what you do best, mole. No doubt they'll stumble across the dead guard sooner or later."
Durgle scraped a claw on the hard earth.
"Burr, if ye had 'ee leys. woi dinna ye jus' let usn's outta 'ee front way an' save all this cloak an' dagger toipe stuff? Not that oi don't loike tunnelin', but it just seems easier, so it does."
Mel threw up her paws in mock despair.
"Cause they'd see us, pudenhead. Do you want to escape or not."
Durgle shook his head in confusion and started to dig.

Martin dipped his paw into the sack and withdrew a piece of rotten fruit. He cast it away in disgust, unwillingly catching the leader of the Painted Ones a smarting blow to the head. The tattoed rat screeched and leapt at the cage. He pulled Martin out and lashed at him with a small axe. The warrior jarred his head and gripped the axe handle. When he could no longer prevent the blade from descending, he rolled out of the way and kicked it from the Painted One's paw. As he caught the axe, the other rats noticed what was occuring, and jumped upon him, screeching and scratching.  Martin tried desperately to knock them away, but to no avail. More just kept coming. As the warrior began to accept his fate and tire, a piercing cry reached his ears.
"Logalogalogalogalogalogalog!"
The rat that was attempting to gouge out his eyes gurgled and went limp, an arrow protruding from his neck. In a flash, a small army of shrews were among the Painted Ones, rapiers thrusting and arrows flying. The one leading the group broke off and helped Martin up. He handed a rapier to the mouse and nodded at the retreating rats.
"Feel like some revenge, mouse? I am Log-a-log, leader of the Guosim. We made a point to never to let them keep their prisoners."
Martin thanked the shrew and joined the ranks of advancing shrews. He saw the leader of the rats and tossed the rapier. The Painted One dropped his weapon and spat blood. Martin took the advantage and rushed him, finishing off the dying vermin. With their leader dead, the remaining Painted Ones screamed and fled into their forest. The shrews gave a hearty cheer, and Log-a-log approached Martin.
"You are a true warrior. I wonder how they managed to capture you in the first place!"
Martin smiled and sheathed his blade.
"Thank you Log-a-log, and the same to you. Were it not for you and your Guosim, I would be dead today. I owe you my life. My name is Martin, some call me "The Elder Warrior."Anything you need, ask it."
Log-a-log slapped his friend on the back.
"I only wish for you to join the Guosim at our camp on the Western Shores, past the outskirts of Mossflower Wood. Would you do this for me, warrior?"
Martin clasped the offered paw.
"Of course. It has been too long since I enjoyed the company of true friends, forged in the fire of battle!"

The mouse and the mole pulled themselves from the tunnel. Mel dusted herself off and looked around for vermin pursuit. There was none.
"Come on, friend. I know a place we can take refuge."
Durgle dutifully followed his fellow escapist down the hill.

Mel stopped at the edge of the trail, pointing over the hill. She placed a paw on Durgle's shoulder.
"Listen to me, over yonder is a pine grove. The Squirrelqueen is not very hospitable. Now, you may have helped save me, but that doesn't mean she'll be quick to trust you. Follow me, and please, for your sake, let me do the talkin'."
She scaled the hill and her jaw dropped. The pine grove was gone, burnt to the ground. Only a handful of new saplings marked the site of the squirrels' former home. Mel gave a strangled sob and ran towards the ashes. When she tripped over the skeleton of a rat, the mousemaid screamed and crawled hurriedly away. Durgle's heavy paw camped over her mouth.
"Hurr, missie. We'm dunno what be around. Be quoiet pleez."
Mel nodded and took Durgle's paw. The mole hauled her upright, and together the two investigated the burnt-out grove, at the ready with stolen swords. Mel prodded another skeleton with her foot. It was a squirrel. The mousemaid could take it no longer; she threw down the sword and fell to her knees.

Groddil

Chapter 16
Despite Toolum becoming seasick, Spinetingle had taken well to seafaring, and the Hurricane covered the distance that had taken the Snow Demon over a full season in just a week. They had braved pirates, storms, and the risk of hitting reefs. Eventually, the two creatures sighted land. Spinetingle peered through a telescope at the tall trees and soft green grass. He gave a sigh of relief, they had reached Mossflower. His relief turned to caution when he spied a flash of red amongst the green. He raised a claw to his mouth and slipped over the gunwhale. Toolum maneuvered the ship into a shrouded cove and took up a rusty mace. The mole dropped the anchor and, shivering slightly, leapt into the shallows. He waded nervously through the shallows. He clambered out, felt firm ground beneath his paws, and kissed the earth. He staggered to his feet, empowered by his senses returning. He listened intently at the sound of yelling nearby. He brandished the mace and charged through the trees. Spinetingle stood, surrounded by shrews, with the cutlass at pointed at Martin.
"Stay back, you villains! I'm warning you, one more step and I'll have to defe-Toolim! Gimme a hand here!"
Toolum threw the mace at the shrews, causing them to scatter.
"Hurr hurr hurr, you varments 'ave some nerve attackin' a beast loike that, yes zurr you do!"
Log-a-log sheathed his rapier.
"Stand down, Guosim. Let's see what they 'ave to say for themselves, sneakin' around 'ere!"
"Sorry, zurr. We thought you was slavers from 'ee north, bandits an' woildcats come down 'ere to enslave everybeast an' take 'em up north to 'ee oice an' snow."
Toolum continued to explain as Martin and the Guosim listened intently. When the tale was over, Log-a-log turned to his band.
"Friends, this is urgent news. By the sounds of it, these northern raiders are even worse than the Painted Ones, come down to capture us in large numbers rather than just capturin' all who wander near. I propose we abandon our current campaign at least 'til this new threat is over, an' take news of invasion to Lord Stonepaw of Salamandastron."
Much murmuring broke out at the mention of the legendary mountain, and fights broke out amongst the rabble. Log-a-log shouted above the din.
"QUIET! Lord Stonepaw an' 'is hares 'ave 'elped us afore, If Toolum's right, the slavers 'ave a whole season head start on 'em, so for all we know, they're already here. No arguments, we march now!"

Groddil

Chapter 17
Log-a-log and Martin set a quick, hard pace, and their army reached Salamandastron before the sun set. It was a magnificent sight, standing tall on the southern shores, dominating the land for as far as the eye could see. An audible gasp rose from Martin and the sailors from the north. Log-a-log chuckled.
"She's a beauty ain't she? Been the home of badgers since the dawn o' time. Hang on a sec, watch this."
The shrew cupped his paws to his mouth.
"Steady in the ranks, Log-a-thing! We heard you, wot wot."
Log-a-log yelled back at the mysterious voice.
"Colonel Chello, you long-eared scoff machine, how are ya?"
"Just Bally brilliant, wot? Are you gonna stand out there shoutin' all night, or should I send Lieutenant Dosha down ya greet ya?"
"That'd be brilliant, mate! Tell Stonepaw to meet us on the way!"
A short time later, the great gates clicked open as a tall hare, Lieutenant Dosha, welcomed the army in. There beside him was a huge badger, grey with age.
"Log-a-log, my friend, welcome back to the mountain of the fire lizard! I know you are not here to parley, but first let us take dinner."
As they walked, Log-a-log introduced Martin, Toolum, and Spinetingle. The badger lord nodded at the story of the former slaves.
"We should have acted, by your description they are already here."
He threw out a paw and smashed a nearby pot, fire in his eyes.
"How did they slip under our noses?" Stonepaw took a deep breath and calmed himself, "We shall speak on the morrow, take supper, Chello with show you to some quarters for the night. On the morrow, friends."
The badger lord withdrew to his chambers.

Mel sat with Durgle at the former pine grove. Her sadness had given way to hatred and revenge. As she saw the slaves in the far off field toiling endlessly, she turned to her companion.
"Hey Durgle, I been thinkin,' an' we need an army. D'you reckon you could tunnel over to that field an' slip some slaves away?"
Durgle did not reply, he started digging immediately.

Groddil

Chapter 18
The sun rose over the western shores. Toolum rose from his bed and shuffled from the room. He met Martin in the hall an tugged his snout respectivly.
"Gudd mornin' to 'ee zurr. Oi thinks we'z gonna ave to leave this yurr mounting soon an' foind Ungatt Trunn!"
Martin nodded.
"I spoke to Colonel Chello. He says that Lord Stonepaw is sending the Colonel and his battalion to help us. He wishes he could leave himself, but there may be other vermin showing up in his absence."
The two entered the eating hall and were greeted by Lord Stonepaw.
"Good morning, my friends. No doubt Colonel Chello has told you that he is accompanying you when you leave. Take breakfast, my hares will fill packs for you and your army. Also, Spinetingle and Log-a-log have come up with a plan to defeat this wildcat menace."
Log-a-log stood up.
"Thank you, lord Stonepaw. Spinetingle has informed me that he and Toolum have a ship, a sloop, small but fast. We have decided that we are to use the speed to our advantage. We will track down the enemy's vessel, strap rough metal to the prow, and we shall bring the ship up to maximum speed and ram them! The prow should plough a hole right through their ship and sink 'er. Victory!"
The shrews gave a raucous cheer.

Durgle leapt from the tunnel, closely followed by a small group of woodland slaves.
"Hurr, missie. This is all oi could free without raising suspicious, burr aye!"
Mel grinned at the mole, he was just as dedicated as she was.
"You have done well, Durgle. Listen up, we have freed you from Mortspear. You have a choice, and it is not mine to make. Some of you have families that were not captured, you may return to them...or you may stay with us and fight. Who will stay?"
Every paw raised in the air.
"Good, good. I am Mel, I will handle the day to day operations, Durgle will lead all moles to rescue others and get weapons and armor. We will take over Nix Praesidium on day, and everybeast in the north will be free again!

Verdauga and Nole had marched their troops off from the mountain. Now they crossed the plains to the east. Darkpaw strode out front with the two, still relishing in his newfound power. Nole cursed the little wretch, hoping that they ran into trouble on the way.

Groddil

Thanks, Tammo. I'm away for two weeks at the start if the new year, so I'm going to try and finish it before January 3nd, so I can enter it in the RAFF. This chapter is short to make up for the one after it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 19
With Colonel Chello, Lieutenant Dosha, and a small platoon of twoscore hares in tow, the Guosim army returned to Toolum and Spinetingle's ship. Log-a-log clambered aboard the Hurricane. He patted the gunwhale fondly as his shrews began strapping rough metal, long spikes, and even swords to the heavy prow.
"She's a fine one, matey. Shame we 'ave to wreck 'er. In fact, some o' me shrew scouts just got back 'ere. I left 'em behind to keep an eye on the Painted Ones while we were gone, and on their way back, they saw this huge ship, three masted, a barque. They sae the name, "Snow Demon," an' there were vermin everywhere. I think that's yet ship."
Toolum and Spinetingle nodded, it made sense. Martin drew his shrew rapier and slashed the anchor rope. The Gousim leapt aboard and the sloop took off, though slower than usual. Spinetingle inquired about this to Log-a-log.
"Are you sure the ship'll be fast enough to break a hole in their hull?"
The shrew leader grinned.
"My shrews are warriors, they'll jump off an' engage the enemy when we get in range. Then you'll get the boost of speed you need!"
Chrllo waggled an ear.
"Absolutely top-hole, chaps. Give 'em blood an' vinegar and all that jazz. Now, no sense dyin' on an empty stomach, wot wot?"
The army laughed the trip away as the Hurricane crested the wavetops on her final voyage.

Groddil

Chapter 20
Ungatt Trunn fell from his perch in the rigging. The good ship Hurricane was bearing down on the Snow Demon at near full sail. The wildcat prince cackled, the crew of this tiny boat must have gone mad, they could never possibly hope to do anything to him. Trunn would handle this himself. He took his trident from the Crow's Nest and readied it. Sucking in a breath, the wildcat sighted the Hurricane, only a three ship-lengths away, its bows packed with bristling shrews and perilous hares. Trunn took a breath and threw the trident at the largest of the shrews.

Toolum heard the ear-splitting scream. Startled, he jumped and sobbed at the sight of Log-a-log twitching in the bow. The shrews were disheartened at the loss of the leader, milling about crying. One of them threw his rapier into the sea and spat after it.
"Thanks a lot, mousey. Now you gone and got Log-a-log killed."
Martin's hackles rose.
"This wasn't my fault, shrew. I was a friend to your leader as well, he joined us to fight slavery and oppresion. Do not blame me, blame that thing!"
The warrior mouse pointed to the Snow Demon;s rigging, at Ungatt Trunn sitting there looking smug. The shrews screeched and leapt the gunwhales into the shallows, closely followed by the hares of Stonepaw's Stalwarts.
"Eulaliaaaaaa! Blood 'n' vinegar, chaps! Chaaaaaarge!"
They rushed the vermin snoozing in the sun, several slain before they even knew the ship was there. The rest stirred and took to the army with bloodlust in their eyes. While the Guosim battled fiercly with the Blue Battalion, Lieutenant Dosha and some hares took te time to free the slaves who, led by Queen Gillaina and her two squirrels, joined the attack upon their former captors.

Without the extra weight, the Hurricane took off. Toolum lashed the tiller in position and assisted Spinetingle in unfurling further sails. The Hurricane accepted the speed of her namesake, barreling straight towards the Snow Demon. Martin inspected the modified prow, stuck fast with spikes, spears, and all manner of sharp objects. He grinned and threw himself astern. There was a deafening crack and a groan as the sloop's prow shattered, burying deep into the port side hull of the Snow Demon. Martin whooped as the great Barque splintered, but cursed when the impact reverberated throughout the Hurricane, which, quivering, turned hard and beached itself. It continued to quiver and crack, until the whole ship split apart with a might crack, the stern sliding back into the sea and sinking like a stone, with not even the masts still visible. Martin and his companions jumped ashore, inspecting the carnage. The army and the freed slaves had had their way with Ungatt Trunn's Blue Battalion, turning the sand and sea red with the bloody carcasses of the fallen vermin. As the Guosim sat about licking their wounds and introductions were made between Gillaina and the sailors from the north, Martin clambered up the Snow Demon's anchor rope. He was surprised to find the ship deserted. Still alert, he descended the stairs to below decks, where the Hurricane's prow still held fast, blocking the hole that would sink the ship. Bracing his back, Martin pushed against the prow. When he had made a sizeable gap, he called to his friends. Every woodlander on the seashore boarded the ship, pushing the hole beneath the waterline. Water rushed in, pushing the prow straight through the hull and out the other side. Martin took his leave of below deck and stepped into the sunlight as the deck began to flood with water. Amongst the victory, nobody spotted a sodden wildcat, flanked by a pine marten and a fox, emerge from his stateroom with fire in his eyes. Trunn and his associates vaulted the side before the alarm could be raised and made for the bow of the North Wind. The wildcat turned over his shoulder just in time to see the finest ship of his father's fleet fall below the waves. The deck was gone, the stateroom's corner just visible, and the masts still rigged with sails soaring high like a monument to his failures. Trunn growled, time for a change. Together with Januul and Ironclaw, he pushed a flat section of the bow into the sea and the three hauled themselves, dripping, onto it just as they were spotted. The three creatures made a narrow escape, sitting in silence as the current hauled them away from the shore. They were buried in their own feelings: Trunn plotted, Januul wept inside at the lost of the Barque, and Ironclaw burned with hatred of Trunn and Captain Nole. The marten decided Ungatt had done enough; he unfurled the special scroll he had kept hold of and read aloud.
"In the name of Mortspear, wildcat king of the North, you are to hearken to the reader of this scroll. His mightiness has decided that you are committing treason, and you are to return to the Nix Praesidium at once. Failure to comply will result in your hunting down and summary destruction, agreeing to these demands will earn you your freed-"
Ungatt Trunn snarled and slew Ironclaw, finally silencing him. The wildcat threw him overboard and turned to Januul.
"I AM UNGATT TRUNN, CONQUERER, EARTHSHAKER. I MAKE THE STARS FALL AND CARVE MY OWN PATH, UNDERSTAND? I AM UNGATT TRUNN, NOT THE SONG OF KING MORTSPEAR, I AM UNGATT TRUNN AND I WILL RETURN TO THESE DAMNED SOUTHLANDS WITH A HORDE THAT NUMBERS GREATER THAN THE LEAVES OF AUTMN, AND SEND THEM ALL TO HELLGATES! GRAAGHH!"
He grabbed the fox, snapped his neck, and shoved him off the raft. Alone, Ungatt Trunn drifted away from Mossflower.

The woodlanders mourned their losses at the beach. The guosim openly wept for Log-a-log, Colonel Chello and his hares gave burials for their fallen comrades, while Martin trotted off down the beach. He was stopped in his tracks by a gruff voice.
"Belaaay! What seek you amongst my dunes?"
"I am Martin the Elder Warrior, son of Marilyn the warriormaid. Who are you?"
A large sea otter emerged from the sand dunes.
"I am Rolam Waverider, and these are my dunes. What do you seek?"
Martin sheathed his sword.
"I seek a wise beast who can repair sunken ships."
Rolam grinned and shook the mouse's paw.
"Yer lookin' at him, mate. Point the way."

"Steady now, steady mates. Pull on those ropes!"
With the help of Rolam Waverider and his holt, the Snow Demon had been patched up and refloated across the space of a week, the exception skill of the otters and shrews had combined to make her seaworthy again, pumping out water and pulling the ship from the depths. The crew held the ropes tight while Toolum turned on the pump one final time. Everybeast cheered, Rolam gave Martin a pat on the back, they had done it.

The refloating came with celebration. The crew of hares, otters, squirrels, and other woodlanders parlayed aboard the Barque, renamed Ice Queen by Spinetingle, while two logboats stole away into the night. Martin waved the shrews off; they had done their part, and the new Chieftin didn't want to risk his tribe again after the tragic death of their last leader. Returning to the Ice Queen, Martin was met by Toolum.
"Hurr, oi athinks oi'll prefer this big ship to 'ee toiny boater, not as seasick, burr aye."
Martin shook the mole's digging claw.
"That you will, friend. Now we can save your friend and topple the tyrant, this Mortspear."
A tear fell from Toolu,'s eye as he embraced his new freind warmly.
"Thankee, zurr. You'm a guddbeast! I can't wait to see me ol' molefriend Durgle again."
The mole took back to the celebration while Martin readied the ship to set sail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With that massive chapter, Book 2 is finished. Stay tuned for the finale.

Groddil

BOOK THREE:

FALL OF AN KINDGOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 21

Mel sighed with satisfaction. Their work had come to an end. Before them stood threescore liberated slaves from Mortspear's kingdom, armed with th finest weaons and clad in armour taken from the Wildcat's troops. The wildcat head emblem had been scraped off the the tunics redyed with the likeness of a squirrel in a pine tree; Mel's own tribute to Queen Gillaina's fallen community. The ex-slaves were roarig for vengeance, and Durgle, armed with a stout club, shouted over the masses and mumbles of taking back the mountains.
"Hearken to oi gudd friends. Today us'n's throw 'ee cruel woildcat from 'is bloddied throne and reclaims our loifstoile. Whom be with oi?"
A rauscous cheer shook the remnants of the Pine Grove as Durlge hurled his club towards the Mountains of the North.
"Hurrhurrhurr, that be what oi thought you'm gunna say. March thataway!"
The band of recruits raised their weapons and charged down the path.

It was a time of peace, something which Mortspear hated. It got so boring when it was peaceful, never anything to do. To top it all off, his slaves were disappearing evert day. As such, the King of the North called Captain Nole to him. The weasel bowed before her king and his son Verdauga, who was also present. Mortspear addresed her menacingly.
"Captain, welcome. Why have you done nothing about my slave situation? Just because Ungatt Trunn is bring me more of them, does not mean you can let my existing servants waltz out the front gates, so work the remainder twice as hard for half ration. And while we're on the topic, where is my son? It was several seasons ago, he should not have been gone this long, or your "trusted associate" would have enacted the Right of Return to prevent his treasonous behavior. I need more slaves, weasel...where are they?!"
Nole gulped.
"They could have collapsed and been forgotten about, oh Might One. Sickness and hunger, perhaps."
Mortspear scoffed.
"If they aren't back before Ungatt Trunn brings more, Nole your head will be on a silver plate. Begone! Verdauga, go with her!"
The two creatures bowed and fled the tyrant's throne room.

Verdauga met with Nole in the mess hall late after the troops were asleep.
"So...you are the famous Captain Nole, my father's best commander. I hope you are as good as they say."
Nole set down a beaker of wine and smiled at the wildcat, at least he wasn't as cruel as his father.
"You can count on me, Verdayga. What's the mission?"
Verdauga unrolled a map of the Northern Mountains, stretching far as the sea on the east and west coasts.
"Ungatt Trunn heads Southh, so our job is to go further north, to find more slaves, and to recapture the ones who escaped somehow. We march on the morrow, so get two full battalions ready."
Noe bowed slightly, turning to her deputy, Darkpaw.
"Rat! Get the troops ready, we're goin' hunting!"
As Nole retired to her chambers, Darkpaw rubbed his paws gleefully, twirled his Captain's cloak, and marched off to the barracks. Ah, command. So wonderful getting to do the pushing every once in a while!

Groddil

Chapter 22
"Land ho!"
Rolam lifted his head to Spinetingle in the crow's nest.
"Where away?"
"North-North East, oh captain Rolam! Twelve ship lengths away, we're closing the distance fast!"
Rolam was amongst the futtock shrouds before the hedgehog could blink. The otter peered at the dark mass, which sprayed with trees of white and blue.
"That ain't land, matey. It's a pod o' whales, big uns too! Creatures outta legend, those are."
Spinetingle shivered.
"You mean they're alive, Cap'n?"
The otter dropped to the deck.
"Aye, biggest animals I've ever seen. Mainly gentle giants, thankfully."
The hedgehog shivered again.
"Don't like 'em. Make me nervous."
Rolam patted Spinetingle affectionately.
"Don' worry 'bout it, buddy. We'll be fine."
But all was not fine. The massive beasts were too playful, leaping clear over the ship. One whale dived under the Ice Queen and rose, raising the entire, quivering, Barque clear out of the water and back in with a mighty splash. The beasts also made Martin nervous.
"Rolam, friend, is there any way to get them away from us?"
The burly otter grunted.
"No, matey. We can't touch 'em, they'll destroy us. But if they attack us for whatever reason, we'll 'ave to jump overboard and hope for the best!"
Martin anxiously pawed a cutlass.
"How would that end?"
Rolam grinned.
"In disaster."

One whale, a huge bull, had tired of play. He was sick of being followed, and turned his massive head towards the Ice Queen. The bull flipped his powerful tail and propelled himself straight at the ship. Rolam panicked.
"Pile on every bit of sail and try to evade him! If he goes right go left! If he charges us, get to the other end of the ship!"
Crewbeasts scurried around, pulling madly at oars and leaning the ship heavily to port. Gillaina and her band of freed slaves unfurled all sails, giving the ship a boost of much-needed speed. Still, the bull was not to be dodged or outrun. He ramed his colossal forehead into the midships. Thankfully, he had dived at the last second; a full on collision would have send everybeast aboard to the Dark Forest in an instant. Even so, huge damage was caused. The Ice Queen took on water. Toolum was terrified; the mole shivered in the stern cabin. Spinetingle grabbed his friend and dashed to the deck, running into Martin. The warrior mouse was also afraid, he begged Rolam for help.
"Please, Rolam. We have to save the ship!"
"This ship is unsaveable! We're done for, shipmate!"
Colonel Chello heaved a broken jib spar over the side.
"I say, make rafts, wot wot. No sense in dying here today, eh?"
Martin nodded, turning his attention to splintered planks from the impact. The crewbeasts joined in, throwing whatever they could find overboard. Martin jumped, followed shortly by Rolam's holt and the Stalwarts. Other crewbeasts also jumped; some to safety, and some only to land in the gaping maw of the angry whale, who rammed the ship again. Gillaina screamed and thumped her head into the deck. Just before she fell unconscious, the squirrelqueen saw her two remaining squirrels. One was lost instantly, crushed between ship and whale, and the other jumped only to fall into the gaping maw of the huge bull. Gillaina sobbed and blacked out. Spinetingle shook her, but to no avail. He was about to jump, when a faint whisper reached his ear.
"Zurr Spoinetingle, lend a paw pleeze."
It was Toolym, smashed into the deck, trapped beneath the fallen foremast. Spinetingle desperately looked around, but the only ones left were Gillaina and the rest of the dead. The sea slopping around his footpaws, he pressed up against the foremast and pushed, but to no avail. The sea was still rising, up to his waist as the ship's bow and stern rose from the water, the midships already lost. As the bow began to sink, Spinetinge clutched the mole's digging claw. Toolum weakly let go.
"Leave oi, zurr. Get away from oi, afore you'm sucked down with oi. Hurrhurrhurr, oi'm terribly afraid, burr aye."
Spinetingle nodded tearfully and dived off the bow just before the ocean gurgled and the prow was dragged down. The hedgehog surfaced some distance away, next to a piece of debris. Grabbing hold, he watched the last moments of their ship. The bow was gone. As the waves licked about the mizzenmast, the stern disappeared, and the Ice Queen was nevr seen again by living souls.

A short distance away, the large whale was content, the little beasts could not bother him, and his large enemy had been vanquished to the depths. The great creature submerged, leaving  the shipwrecked to their situation.

Groddil

Chapter 23
The unconscious remnants of the Ice Queen's crew had separated overnight, drifting away from each other without even knowing. When Spinetingle shivered himself awake, he was initially shocked at the shortage of companions, but gave a sigh of relief when he noticed Rolam clinging to his piece of debris nearby. The hedgehog gave a strangled sob and swam over to where the weary otter sulked.
"Rolam! Thank my spines I found you! I don't want to be lost at sea alone."
"Yer right, Spinetingle. Maybe if'n we holds out a little longer we'll reach land. That'd be a sight fer sore eyes, even for a waterdog like me!"

Colonel Chello, having unknowingly caught an ocean current the previous night, washed up on the beach. He spat salt water and dragged himself from the sea. Already passed out on the sand was a small amount of his hares. The Colonel felt his eyes droop, and knowing they were safe, slipped back into sleep.

Nole roused herself and buckled on her Captain's tunic. Red, like blood. She grinned, there would be  blood in the coming days, especially when they found slaves! The tall weasel noticed Darkpaw standing to attention hear her door. The poor fool could try to impress her all he liked, she still just considered him a waste of her time, ready to be discared as soon as possible.
"Captain Nole, the troops are lined up ready to march. Verdauga is already there."
Nole scowled, now this rat was making her look late for her own assignment. He was not going to be returning to the fortress. She pushed past him and descended to the courtyard. The weasel retrieved a spear and raised it. The army raised their weapons back in salute and followed her from the Nix Praesidium and down the path.

Groddil

Chapter 24
Chello was awake again, this time lying on a bed of leaves dug into the sand. He was surrounded by the hares, also lying dejectedly upon makeshift bedding. He picked out one certain hare standing about moping and beckoned him.
"Lieutenant? Where are we?"
Lieutenant Dosha twirled a piece of driftwood aimlessly.
"Does it matter, Colonel? Lost a score an' a half last night, never made it to the beach. Somewhere north, water's freezin' cold, but who really cares? We're shipwrecked somewhere, no doubt countless leagues from Salamandastron, an' we're all gonna die here!"
The colonel threw the driftwood at his Lieutenant.
"Pish tush, old chap! We're findin' a way back 'ome if it's the last thing we does, wot wot. But first up, we gotta find those other surviviors. Dosha, you can take the party headin' north, don't trust you goin' south, in case ye try to desert! I'll lead another group south, an' the rest can stay here!"

Martin gasped. He was floating aimlessly amongst white-capped waves, without anything to cling to. The warrior mouse gave a long sigh, getting water down his gullet.
"I REALLY am getting too old for this! Uck, Salty!"
Martin gathered what strength he had and swam. After many strokes, the mouse reached the easterly current and was swept shoreward.

Rolam shook Spinetingle to keep the hedgehog from passing out.
"Listen mate, you gotta stay awake or you'll fall off an' drown. I'm gonna go see if there's anything around underwater that suggests where we're headin'. Shipwrecks, currents, that sort of thing."
The otter took a breath and disappeared from view. A tear fell from Spinetingle's eye and mixed with the sea. Why did all his friends leave him?

Durgle and his army of freed slaves had rested overnight, and now they were to regain their charge right up to the very gates of Nix Praesidium, when Mel spied Verdauga and Nole's forces descending the path. Mel and Durgle signaled their forces to take cover. There was no way they could take on an army that large, of proper well-trained soldiers. The only way would be to lay an ambush.

Groddil

Chapter 25
Dosha halted. A figure had washed up on the shore. Taking two hares with him, the Lieutenant prodded the prone mouse. Martin coughed and spluttered.
"Where am I? I was just swimming..."
Dosha signalled to the two hares, who helped the mouse up. Martin leaned heavily on their shoulders as they continued to march north.

Rolam Waverider surfaced offshore. He had done it, dry land! But what of Spinetingle? The sea otter waded and swam around the patch of ocean, but there was neither hide nor hair of the hedgehog. Rolam noticed a battalion of hares marching south, and used his rudderlike tail to propel himself to the beach. He crawled from the cold water and grabbed Colonel Chello's footpaw.
"Spinetingle. Couldn't find...Spinetingle."
Chellocpatted the otter's head.
"There there, mate. Lie still, we'll find him."

But Spinetingle was not to be found, for he had been swept away from Rolam, landing even further north than Dosha and Martin. In fact, the hedgehog washed up right in the middle of the Port of Saltstone. Two vermin, a ferret and a stoat, kicked and prodded Spinetibgle with spears.
"Ey, Bloodboots, look what we got 'ere!"
The ferret looked at Spinetingle strangely.
"Err...'ow much d'yer wanna bet 'ee's from Ungatt Trunn's ship? One o' the oarslaves that 'scaped?"
The stoat kicked Bloodboots harshely.
"Who cares? 'is Mightiness loves slaves, we'll be made officers fer this, matey!"
Bloodboots skipped with joy before brining his spear shaft down upon Spinetingle's head.

Captain Nole marched at Verdauga's side. The weasel motioned to Darkpaw, who was scouting slightly ahead of the main party. Nole gave him the job just in case they ran into danger, not because he had any skill whatsoever. She gave him a shove.
"Do your job properly, rat. Can't you tell we're being watched?"
Verdauga had noticed too. There was no sound whatsoever, not even the birds were singing. He took charge of the situation.
"Nole, split the force into four. You skirt around behind the trees, Darkpaw can charge their front, and I will lead half the pincer."
The wildcat beckoned a stoat to him.
"You there, Fangtearer, you will lead the other half of the pincer, stay here 'til Nole and Darkpaw charge."
Fangtearer saluted and bid his command stop.

Durgle gasped, he heard every word. The mole called Mel to his side, and the two held a whispered conference. Durgle brandished his weapon, signalling to his army to do the same. This would really test their strength.

Groddil

Chapter 26
Aside from some otters from Rolam's holt, Chello and Dosha found no more survivors. Their groups rejoined and marched even further north. Chello called a halt when the scouts sighted tall masts poking above a large town carved from rock. Dosha was able to speak at length with some slaves while the vermin guards could not see. He returned to the army.
"This is Mortspear's kingdom, alright. Port o' Saltstone, this place is called. If'n we follow the path to the nor'east, we'll reach Nix Praesidium, Castle of the Wildcats. But first, the slaves told me a hedgehog washed up earlier t'day. They locked him in the brig o' that big ship there. I'll bet anythin' that that's our Spinetingle!"
Chello, Martin, and Rolam held a quick conference. Martin drew his rapier.
"Then we rescue him!"

Durgle readied his hammer. The first group of vermin charged through the undergrowth. Durgle swung the massive weapon, cracking Darkpaw's skull and slaying him instantly. The mole's army continued to force the charge back, but as soon as victory was within their grasp, Captain Nole and her forces hit them hard from behind. Mel met the backwards charge, blades ringing. She locked swords with Nole, pushing and shoving, trying to gain an upper hand. The result was a bloody stalemate; the army of freed slaves giving as good as they got. Until the pincer hit. Verdauga and Fangtearer rushed into the fray, surrounding Durgle and Mel. The slave army was being attacked from all sides, their numbers dropping drastically, but still they fought on. Durgle took an arrow in his shoulder, Mel's cheek was slashed open to the bone. The slaves were dropping like flies due to Verdauga's superior planning. Durgle hammered his way through the vermin to Mel's side.
"Hurrhurrhurr, we aren't gunna last much longer, Mel. Us'n's runnin' outta time, burr aye!"
Mel kicked out at Nole, pushing the weasel back. She stood back to back with Durgle in a spinning whirlwind of death.
"Well, we'll just have to take some with us, Durgle. FREEEEEEEDOOOMMMM!"
The mousemaid went down with a spear in her gut. Durgle fought on alone, surrounded by piled-up corpses of the vermin army. He saw Verdauga standing on the outskirts, mopping up the last resistance. The mole's eyes flamed as he rushed the wildcat. He swung the hammer wildly, slaying Fangtearer and knocking Nole to the ground. He leapt at Verdauga, weapon raised high above his head. Durgle brought the hammer down fiercely, but Verdauga nimbly sidestepped and headbutted Durgle in the gut. The wildcat's fierce claws raked at Durgle, tearing his skin. Verdauga dropped the partly disemboweled mole and retrieved his spear from Mel. The slave army was gone, but Verdauga's soldiers had suffered heavy losses. He hauled Captain Nole upright and steadied her.
"Ungatt Trunn had the right idea. I would bet an arrow to an acorn he deserted, cut and ran. We're doing the same. Any objections?"
Nole shook her head, she knew better than to argue with wildcats. The weasel gathered her command ready to march.
"Where to, my lord?"
Verdauga pondered the question.
"As much as I would dislike running into Ungatt Trunn, there is nothing north of here, so south it is."
Nole nodded and raised her sword.
"Armies of the Northern Mountains! Verdauga Greeneyes has spoken! Mortspear is old and weak, Verdauga is young and strong! We are leaving the old one to his mountain and marching south to the green fields of plenty! We follow the Lord of the Thousand Eyes to the end of the earth, for he is the one who gives us our strength!"
The vermin cheers shook the wooded glade. The ranks filed out and, ignoring the path, marched due south. Verdauga smiled with satisfaction.
"Good speech, Captain. You will be richly rewarded when the time comes..."
With that, Verdauga and Nole followed their army southsward, never to be seen again by those in the north.