The Domain Name Thread

Started by James Gryphon, October 04, 2016, 04:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Quote from: Skarzs on October 04, 2016, 03:19:11 PM
Personally, I want to keep to the Loamhedge because I do want the original forum to come back online, and want there to be a difference between the two.

Banya

I'm agreeing with many of the opinions above. I want to keep the Redwall name separate, as I like the distinction between this forum and the old. I really don't like "redwallonline." Between Mossflower and Loamhedge, I prefer Loamhedge because it was a community, while Mossflower is a region in which exists many different, disjointed communities. I have a slight preference toward Loamhedge Abbey over Loamhedge.

Skyblade

I'd go for whatever is most likely to pop up in search results, for the sake of getting new members.

QuoteWell, I don't see that what the forum is called now has to be a major factor.

And I agree with this.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

James Gryphon

I must confess I really like the domain name "Mossflower", and I don't think using it in the domain name must necessarily lead to changing the name of the forum.

That said, though, it seems like a sizable majority, both of the general community and the members I trust the most to make these kinds of decisions, favors including "Loamhedge" in the domain name. It seems unwise to disregard such a clear consensus, despite my own feelings on the matter.

While I'm still not comfortable with having such a long domain name, I suppose that once it's been bookmarked, you won't be likely to have to type it in all that often. And it's still better than some of the alternatives (it's actually a little faster than typing in the link to the original Redwall Abbey forum, with no frames: redwallabbey.com/forum/).

I'll look into acquiring the relevant domain name and making the move soon, preferably when most everybody is offline. The .com extension is cheaper and matches the official site, so that's the one I intend to acquire. The Loamhedge.xyz site will remain online until next July as an alias/redirect for the new site.

Thanks for your input into this process.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Who actually types in the full address? :P I either use the bookmark or the frequently visited pages thing.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Y'all should be seeing things at LoamhedgeAbbey.com now. I'll do work on the database to change over links and such later, when nobody is on.
« Subject to editing »

Gonff the Mousethief

Looks good James! However, I was mid post when you changed it, so I was a bit scared when I randomly got logged out.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Wylder Treejumper

Looks good! Definitely more professional than the .xyz extension.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Groddil

Leatho Shellhound

I really like the loamhedgeabbey.com, I also really like the LH icon design for the tab.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Banya

I like new the domain name a lot, too. It's less sketchy than ever.

Lutra

Wow, what a nice update! :)  I haven't been here in months and my link got a redirection on me and I saw you got a domain.  Same hosting company or someone different?  Seems to hang a bit when you click on a link like the hosting is on a slower server or something than it used to be.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Cornflower MM

Hey hey hey, it's a Lutra! :)

*Late reply but meh*
It does look a lot nicer, James. Thankee! (Although I'd finally convinced my computer that I wanted to be logged in and I wanted pop-ups here ::) )

Lutra

*goes back incognito*

You never saw me.

;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

James Gryphon

Quote from: Lutra on October 10, 2016, 12:55:15 AM
Wow, what a nice update! :)  I haven't been here in months and my link got a redirection on me and I saw you got a domain.  Same hosting company or someone different?  Seems to hang a bit when you click on a link like the hosting is on a slower server or something than it used to be.
It is new hosting, as well as a new domain name. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a little slower, because it's not as big a company as the one we were with, but they have a very good rep at the Webhostingtalk forum, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse: we went from 50 megs of database space to as much storage is on the hard drive, for half the price each month. Also, the customer service experience I've had so far is good.
« Subject to editing »