News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

2017 Solar Eclipse

Started by Jukka the Sling, August 21, 2017, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Ooh, that's awesome!!

It was actually really disappointing here. :P  If I hadn't known it was an eclipse, I... wouldn't have known it was an eclipse. :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Matthias720

Next one is in 7 years. I'm on track for complete totality then. Looking forward to that.

NovaNocturne

Saw it where I live at 91% totality. It was like wearing sunglasses as it got darker. really weird stuff.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Andy on August 21, 2017, 07:40:12 PM
Just saw the eclipse myself. We didn't quite get totality here, but there was a cool feeling in the air and briefly we were able to look at it with the naked eye. I actually snapped a few photos, but they don't really do it justice, and you couldn't tell that it was dark through the lens.

Oh, same!  It was cool.

Quote from: Ashleg on August 21, 2017, 07:45:38 PM
We got totality here.
For 31 seconds.

Awesome!

Banya

We only got about 80% but despite it being an overcast day I could look at it through the lens of my brother's welding helmet and see it clearly. It was pretty cool to watch.

Ashleg

I looked it the window with no (sun)glasses and was just fine.

The Skarzs

. . . Ehhhh. . . your eyes might still have been damaged. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Too bad. I already have glasses.

Gonff the Mousethief

My school got everyone glasses and let us out for 2 periods to see it since we were in the 90% margin. It was cool and all, but the teachers hyped it up waaayy too much. I still thought it was a pretty great experience though.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Søren

Here in Music City it was 100% totality, so cool.  O0 O0 Can't wait for the next one. I took the drone into the air to record the effect of the eclipse on the ground. I will post the video here soon.
Vøren Note
I'm planning on going to Dallas to see the next one in '24 with V :)
[close]

I'm retired from the forum

alexandre

I live where it's more than 99%, but it was like a ten minute drive to where it was 100% so my family and I drove out to see the whole thing, we got the special glasses and stuff but I would say the more amazing part was how the air got colder like it was nighttime and the lighting was like dawn and dusk but unnaturally fast.
I also looked around for license plates and I saw two British Colombia, one Alberta, one Minnesota, one Massachusetts, one Arizona, one Wyoming, and countless Washington and California plates, the only place I've seen that many different license plates in such a small area was Yellowstone.
The drive there took no time at all, but we were stuck in traffic for awhile on the way back when everyone was leaving at the same time even though we were taking the back roads.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

alexandre

Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Banya

Al that must have been really fun to watch it with such a crowd and to actually *feel* it happening

Quote from: Søren on August 22, 2017, 05:09:34 AM
Here in Music City it was 100% totality, so cool.  O0 O0 Can't wait for the next one. I took the drone into the air to record the effect of the eclipse on the ground. I will post the video here soon.
Vøren Note
I'm planning on going to Dallas to see the next one in '24 with V :)
[close]

You ever want to heart react a post like you do on facebook