News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Books You Can't Forget

Started by Banya, December 10, 2015, 05:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRedSnifit

Blood Meridian is a very dark, very memorable book.

Ashleg

So is The Dark Portal by Robin Jarvis.

Strange, creepy, awesome...

MeadowR

^ I guess on that note I should say The Alchymist's Cat has stuck with me. I've even imagined about how I'd co-create a traditional animation of that before... in an ideal world. :P It would make such a great 2D film. Not really likely to happen... shame.

There are more books; I need to come back to this another time.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Wylder Treejumper

Silly as it may sound, the Dr. Seuss book Oh, the Places You'll Go! is special to me. My choir teacher got each of us one and wrote a little message to us inside, then read the book out loud to us at the final choir event of the year. I may have gotten something in my eye there at the end.

The message of the book is actually very profound, if you take the time to think about it.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ashleg

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on September 22, 2017, 06:34:51 PM
^ I guess on that note I should say The Alchymist's Cat has stuck with me. I've even imagined about how I'd co-create a traditional animation of that before... in an ideal world. :P It would make such a great 2D film. Not really likely to happen... shame.

There are more books; I need to come back to this another time.

I'm hopefully getting that for my birthday. I haven't read it yet because I can't find it anywhere. Is it like the others? I know there are humans in it.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on September 22, 2017, 08:29:54 PM
Silly as it may sound, the Dr. Seuss book Oh, the Places You'll Go! is special to me. My choir teacher got each of us one and wrote a little message to us inside, then read the book out loud to us at the final choir event of the year. I may have gotten something in my eye there at the end.

The message of the book is actually very profound, if you take the time to think about it.
Seuss was often profound. It was sort of his trademark to write profound, meaningful stories, but package them in a child-friendly way.

Like, if you ever read The Lorax when you were a kid, did you never find it to be really depressing? Like, it's literally about a bitter industrialist lamenting over the many mistakes they made. But then at the end there's that little seed of hope (if you'll pardon the pun) that maybe the mistakes of the past generation can be put right by their successors.

Actually yeah, I love The Lorax. That's definitely a book I won't forget.

And then there's If I Ran the Zoo, which is about getting lost in a wild fantasy, but then realising that hey, maybe reality isn't that bad.

I have a lot of feelings about Seuss.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

The Lorax book is good, but don't get me STARTED on the movie.

Jetthebinturong

I will never watch that movie.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Don't. Unless you do it for the memes.