News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Started by James Gryphon, October 15, 2016, 10:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

The news icker is more purple than pink, and I like it. The rest: Ew.

Ashleg

As for banning gifs...why?
As far as I can tell, nobody is spamming gifs all throughout their signature or whatever the heck. :P

The forum, FeralFront, has a rather large picture size and gifs have never been a problem.
Whether someone doesn't like looking at them or not shouldn't impact whether we should HAVE the ability to be able to use them or not.

James Gryphon

Well, we're not talking about banning all animated gifs everywhere, just ones in avatars that are a certain size.

The reason why is, when an animated avatar is larger than a certain size, you can see constant movement out of the corner of your eye, and it's distracting, possibly enough to keep you from fully concentrating on what that person is trying to say.

As far as whether not liking things should impact what we're able to do here... I could go on and on about the things we've turned off or put restrictions on, more or less because we (or even I) didn't like it. ;) Other forums incorporate some or all of the things that we don't, so it isn't that a forum ceases to function when these features are available. That's just not the direction we want this community to go.

It's the same sort of principle as why we have small signature image sizes. We could have bigger ones, but we feel it makes the forum harder to use for the purpose of reading people's words, for no great benefit. So, there's a rule against it.
« Subject to editing »