News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Luke's Sword

Started by AbbotAlf0805, June 09, 2012, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Romsca on March 27, 2013, 10:21:40 PM
Wow! Just a question: how could a sword be forged without the one forging it touching the hilt
I don't nessisarly know what you mean.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Free Thought

Wow! Just a question: how could a sword be forged without the one forging it touching the hilt

When I said 'touch' I meant tamper.  Sure, others could physically touch the hilt, but it would not be reshaped or reforged in anyway.  Boar makes some improvements to it (rebound the handle and added the red pommel stone, but the actual physiology (if that's the right word for it- sorry, I'm not a bladesmith!) is not messed with ;)

If it helps, think of Lord of the Rings when the elves reconstruct the Sword of Elendil for Aragon.  They reforge the blade, but the hilt itself is not touch.  I think that Jacques was inspired by Tolkien's works with the whole broken sword/reforging sword= broken warrior/reborn warrior, but hey- what's a little sharing themes between authors, right? And no, I'm not saying he copied it, so don't flame me.  I'm just stating a logical connection.

Romsca

Jetthebinturong

Okay here is my take: Luke says that Martin the elder is not his father, he is his GRANDFATHER at the beginning of the book (at the end of the book this changes to be MARTIN'S grandfather so there is uncertainty there) I think it was forged for Martin the elder while he and his tribe lived in Mossflower. When he passed away the sword went to his son (Who may have been Luke or Luke's father) If this was Luke's father then he possessed it until he died and passed it on to Luke. Luke was then driven from Mossflower by Verdauga and it ended up on the north shores where Luke gave it to Martin the warrior.

As to the people saying that Luke's ancestors were the ones who were driven from Mossflower, at the start of the Luke section it says that Luke was the one who was chieftain when they were driven out, just wanted to clear that up.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

GeminyaTome

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 13, 2013, 09:18:08 PM
Luke says that Martin the elder is not his father, he is his GRANDFATHER at the beginning of the book (at the end of the book this changes to be MARTIN'S grandfather so there is uncertainty there)

Well, I could call my mother's grandfather my Great-Grandfather, or I could just call him my Grandfather. So, I would go with it being Luke's Grandfather, Martin's Great-Grandfather. Just my opinion...
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Free Thought on March 29, 2013, 11:58:15 AM
I think that Jacques was inspired by Tolkien's works with the whole broken sword/reforging sword= broken warrior/reborn warrior, but hey- what's a little sharing themes between authors, right?

Actually in an "Ask Brian" he stated that he had never read Tolkien's work

Free Thought

Quote from: GeminyaTome on April 13, 2013, 09:42:21 PM
Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 13, 2013, 09:18:08 PM
Luke says that Martin the elder is not his father, he is his GRANDFATHER at the beginning of the book (at the end of the book this changes to be MARTIN'S grandfather so there is uncertainty there)

Well, I could call my mother's grandfather my Great-Grandfather, or I could just call him my Grandfather. So, I would go with it being Luke's Grandfather, Martin's Great-Grandfather. Just my opinion...

Possibly, but it could have been an oversight in editing.  I believe in either MTW or Mossflower, Martin says his grandfather's name is Martin as well, I just don't remember which one.  Meh, tomat-o, to-mato.

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on April 14, 2013, 05:36:06 PM
Quote from: Free Thought on March 29, 2013, 11:58:15 AM
I think that Jacques was inspired by Tolkien's works with the whole broken sword/reforging sword= broken warrior/reborn warrior, but hey- what's a little sharing themes between authors, right?

Actually in an "Ask Brian" he stated that he had never read Tolkien's work

Oh yes because growing up in England he would have never been exposed to Tolkien's works! ahaha but hey, if he said he didn't, I guess he didn't.  Well I guess it all boils down to Beowulf and Homer then. (And by Homer I mean the Greek orator of The Iliad and The Odyssey) ;)

Jetthebinturong

Was that supposed to be sarcastic? If it was, why would he lie?

It was obvious that you were referring to the poet and writer not the idiotic doughnut eater from the Simpsons. I believe he also wrote the Aeniad

Free Thought

The Aeneid was written by Virgil centuries after Homer to appease the Romans and give them a "heroic founder" besides Remus and Romulus.

Jetthebinturong

D'oh, I guess that's what you get for trying to sound smart and getting all your Greek myths mixed up

Rusvul

Quote from: W0NWILL on July 10, 2012, 05:23:25 PM
Maybe after the Noonvalers to-be see the violence, they would renounce it, like Martin did, maybe when Lukes great-great-great-grandfather didn't renounce violence, they banished him, and he traveled to Mossflower, stayed there for a few generations, and were forced up north while Luke was head. Remember when the rules of Noonvale were so uptight?
This is to me the most plausible theory. Though, I doubt the sword existed before Martin the Elder, Luke's grandfather, he was known as a warrior.

Free Thought

I'm just curious...
Just reading over the previous posts on this board and a lot of people seem to think Luke's family originated in Noonvale. Any particular reason?
I mean if Luke's family originated in Noonvale and they were clearly natural leaders, and Rose's family is the ruling family of Noonvale, then one could deduce that they were related somehow; making Martin and Rose... EWWW. *shudders* Just EWWW.  Now I know Redwall is a medieval-set series and in the middle ages it was common to marry your cousin, but EWWWW. *shudders again*
Sorry. For me, the Noonvale theory does not fly on those grounds and the fact that if Luke's family came from the north, it is not likely they would have gone back once driven out of Mossflower. I mean, you don't usually go back to the place you left- you left it for a reason right?  Under this theory, Luke would have taken his tribe further south into Southsward.
But that's just my two cents and we'll never truly know the answer to our endless pondering and debating...

GeminyaTome

Quote from: Free Thought on April 18, 2013, 12:21:02 PM
I'm just curious...
Just reading over the previous posts on this board and a lot of people seem to think Luke's family originated in Noonvale. Any particular reason?
I mean if Luke's family originated in Noonvale and they were clearly natural leaders, and Rose's family is the ruling family of Noonvale, then one could deduce that they were related somehow; making Martin and Rose... EWWW. *shudders* Just EWWW.  Now I know Redwall is a medieval-set series and in the middle ages it was common to marry your cousin, but EWWWW. *shudders again*
Sorry. For me, the Noonvale theory does not fly on those grounds and the fact that if Luke's family came from the north, it is not likely they would have gone back once driven out of Mossflower. I mean, you don't usually go back to the place you left- you left it for a reason right?  Under this theory, Luke would have taken his tribe further south into Southsward.
But that's just my two cents and we'll never truly know the answer to our endless pondering and debating...

Same thoughts here.....
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

The Shade

Yeah, whats all this about Noonvale??
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

BadgerLordFiredrake

Four words.  Caves of Luke's tribe.  Implies that they lived there, not in Noonvale.  Rose and Martin could be related, but waaaaaay far back..
baby turtle forever