Possible roman empire counterpart in redwall

Started by Kermanint, February 27, 2013, 12:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kermanint

???

I've always wondered if there is (or was) a Rome like empire in the redwall universe that existed long before any of the books take place. You know, like a continent wide gigantic empire. This is all, of course speculation, but think about it. In our world the fall of the roman empire brought about the middle ages so couldn't something similar put the redwallers into the middle age like time they are in? just a thought.

Leatho Shellhound

I think if there was it would have been talked about in the records, but maybe.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

321tumbler

Romsca

King Mortspear's empire (King Mortspear is Ungatt and Verdauga's father. He's only mentioned briefly but there could have been a large empire for all we know. Not exactly Roman, but still a huge empire)

Captain Tammo

Somebody had to make the roads and wells and baths!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

redwallgurl

I don't really think so because in Rome more people/beasts would have a more hierarchy system then what is in place at Redwall.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Icefire

Quote from: Romsca on February 27, 2013, 09:50:12 PM
King Mortspear's empire (King Mortspear is Ungatt and Verdauga's father. He's only mentioned briefly but there could have been a large empire for all we know. Not exactly Roman, but still a huge empire)
That's a good point! However, we know it didn't reach as far south as Mossflower...or is it as far West! Where was his empire?
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Ferrousferret

Something tells me such a thing wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense, as the entirety of the Redwall universe is Agrarian. That is, they've proven through multiple points that they're capable of amazing feats of architectural engineering & have several instances of culture- legends, songs, black-smithing, Redwall, Salamandastron, several fortresses, ship building... but, no one really seems to care much. They tend to live in seperation from one another, mainly in shacks, nomadic camps, or caves. There's definitely culture among species, but no organized civilization. Now, you might be able to argue that their society is very much Celtic in nature, but there's still not much said for civilization.

MeadowR

If the Redwall stories are roughly set in a Britain-like shaped setting, then I don't see why it couldn't follow that the other lands would be shaped as they are on Earth, and with that following a similar historical development. 'Stuff' came before the land became medieval and changes would come after. I always thought it would be interesting to see Redwall eventually develop away from the medieval as more discoveries and inventions appeared and so on.

So why not a Roman-esque period? :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Rusvul

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on July 04, 2013, 12:41:32 PM
If the Redwall stories are roughly set in a Britain-like shaped setting, then I don't see why it couldn't follow that the other lands would be shaped as they are on Earth, and with that following a similar historical development. 'Stuff' came before the land became medieval and changes would come after. I always thought it would be interesting to see Redwall eventually develop away from the medieval as more discoveries and inventions appeared and so on.

So why not a Roman-esque period? :)
A good point. However, I have several things to add.
Redwall is not entirely medieval. Shrews, for instance, have rapiers, a sort of blade that wasn't used much (And was useless) until the Rennesaince. Also, there are only a few instances of full armor. If the world in Redwall isn't parallel to any point in our history, what would make you think that their roots or their future would be the same?

QuoteSo why not a Roman-esque period? :)
And, just as important, why a Greco-Roman period?

MeadowR

^ Good point. Yeah, I guess saying straightforward 'medieval' for Redwall isn't quite right. The timeframe variations between ours and the Redwall world would feed into the future for variations too.

I guess in that line of thought Roman-like time could be at a different time and maybe they're already more advanced than even the actual Romans were, etc. Same for other empires and so on.

^-- Sorry if that doesn't make much sense; I'm not great at articulating my thoughts. :p
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Emperor Ublaz

It could be that, as in our world, there was a large empire, but it fell and the Redwall world fell into a sort of "Dark age".
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000