News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Wolves

Started by Shadowed One, May 02, 2013, 02:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

I have just started to re-read Martin the Warrior, and there was a reference to wolves. When Brome was yelling to get a messege through to Rose and Grumm, it was remarked that he was amking noise like an injured wolf, or something like that.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Shadowed One

Yes, but if that is what you consider a reference, then there are references to dogs and cows.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Rusvul

I'm pretty sure it said "Urgan Nagru was the only fox ever to kill a wolf" which would mean that the wolf didn't freeze to death.

Shadowed One

Yeah, Yeah but it was all just a lie. He actually just found it dead, took its skin, and said he killed it. They explain that later in the book.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

Osu

I think that the very existence of the wolf in The Bellmaker is enough to make them canon to the Redwall universe. And as Lutra said, introducing them to Mossflower shouldn't be a problem -- just an epic tale. Redwallers have come up against wolverines and monitors, after all. I'm sure including them in your story shouldn't be any kind of a problem. You could always reimagine them at a similar size to the other animals, if the size difference really bothers you. :)

As for references, I wish I had the memory to look them all up. Wolves are mentioned in passing throughout multiple books, but I can't recall if it was largely narration or dialogue, or even which books. Sorry, matey!
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Free Thought

Interesting.  You know, wolves never really occurred to me in the Redwallian world out of sheer appreciation of their size.  Now that being said, we have Martin, a mouse, killing Tsarmina, a wildcat, so the size ratio would be similar for either a hare or a otter to take down a wolf.  With that in mind, I guess it is plausible.  However, it seems Jacques preferred to resort to the small breed animals.  To my knowledge the only real "large" animal he references to is the horse in Redwall, but that in itself is an oddity that I am surprised wasn't edited out.

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Free Thought on May 06, 2013, 12:09:43 AM
Interesting.  You know, wolves never really occurred to me in the Redwallian world out of sheer appreciation of their size.  Now that being said, we have Martin, a mouse, killing Tsarmina, a wildcat, so the size ratio would be similar for either a hare or a otter to take down a wolf.  With that in mind, I guess it is plausible.  However, it seems Jacques preferred to resort to the small breed animals.  To my knowledge the only real "large" animal he references to is the horse in Redwall, but that in itself is an oddity that I am surprised wasn't edited out.
Badgers can be quite large, and a large badger, such as Ambrevina from the Sable Quean, might be as large as a small wolf.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

phoenixfoden

*wolf expert walk toward you guys with a chalk board and swagger cane*
although wolves are prety much dogs,the are ussualy taller with longer legs,also there keen sense of smell would aid them largely in combat,thirdly wolves nearly always work in packs unless rejected for bad behavior or the rest of the pack being killed by those disgusting freaks called humans.
id go on but i have to comb my tail fur!

Kitsune

Lol!

It would have been cool too see a wolf in the Redwall books.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Shadowed One on May 04, 2013, 10:00:13 PM
Yes, but if that is what you consider a reference, then there are references to dogs and cows.
But, if they come from the very first Redwall book written, that one is different from the rest. It even has a slight refrence to humans. Just saying :-\

Life is too short to rush through it.

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on May 13, 2013, 11:18:41 PM
Quote from: Shadowed One on May 04, 2013, 10:00:13 PM
But, if they come from the very first Redwall book written, that one is different from the rest. It even has a slight refrence to humans. Just saying :-\
It does?
I must of never noticed that.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

phoenixfoden

brian wasent planning for a whole series when he wrote the first one,that one has alot of references to things not mentioned in any other books.
i remember reading in one book a vermin describing shrews as "fighting like wolves with those rapiers" meaning wolves must be known to be great warriors,but very reclusive like in real life as they are rarely mentioned.

Shadowed One

I would guess they would live in the far northern regions of Mossflower.

CrazyPug37

Quote from: Shadowed One on May 22, 2013, 01:54:43 PM
I would guess they would live in the far northern regions of Mossflower.
Probably outside of Mossflower, to the north.

Afrika United

phoenixfoden

this topic really got me thinking,i mean brian never mentions wolves as bad,so mabey they just keep to themselves in the northen reigons not wanting anything to do with mossflower.