News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Tougher Vermin?

Started by Vilu Daskar, December 24, 2015, 10:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilu Daskar

Does it seem like vermin might have been tougher in Redwall to anyone else? Apparently it's a big deal that Cluny killed a ferret, but in the other books no one would have cared.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Tam and Martin

That is a good point.

I think it might have been so. As several people have pointed out, the first Redwall book was a start of a long series, thus BJ was figuring everything out that he wanted to include or exclude. That's why we see mentions of the mice having farm animals, and other various flaws. Maybe Brian was planning on having a special ranking for the vermin, ie. maybe rats would be the lowest order and then ferrets, stoats, weasels, and maybe a wearet or a wolverine at the top, I don't know. Kind of like a food chain for animal rankings. Curious thought though. I think as he got more developed in the books, Brian decided to just have them all equal in rank instead of having different leveled classes.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Sanddunes

I wise the Vermin were tougher one of the problems I had with these books is that the most villains were pretty much all the same just change the species.

Ashleg

I think there was a wide range in villains: from the ones that could effortlessly snap your back to the ones who are so weak they end up as comic relief (or good guys).

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Ashleg

Sanddunes

Quote from: Ashleg on September 03, 2017, 07:51:31 AM
I think there was a wide range in villains: from the ones that could effortlessly snap your back to the ones who are so weak they end up as comic relief (or good guys).

I wouldn't comic relief ones as villains. I just wise they were a lot better fighters at times

Krantor the Brutal

Personally, I think a vermin lord is strong in the beginning of the book, but eventually weakens and it becomes a 50/50 battle against the hero, (like in Pearls of Lutra and The Long Patrol.) Other times, it seems he/she is too strong and external aid and wit is needed, (like in Rakkety Tam, Mattimeo and Redwall.)
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Ashleg

They usually lose their minds by the end of the book--and I don't blame them.

Sanddunes

Notice how sometimes if a vermin is brave (I'm talking mostly about the leaders) they're usually killed off or just mention

Ashleg

Or it's made a big deal of and they turn out not to be brave at all.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Sanddunes on September 23, 2017, 03:36:14 PM
Notice how sometimes if a vermin is brave (I'm talking mostly about the leaders) they're usually killed off or just mention
Yep. No vermin who is brave really ends up having that bravery come to use.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Ashleg on September 23, 2017, 03:42:51 PM
Or it's made a big deal of and they turn out not to be brave at all.

it's rare but they are brave vermin like Barranca who are not in the book very long

Sanddunes

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 23, 2017, 04:52:24 PM
Quote from: Sanddunes on September 23, 2017, 03:36:14 PM
Yep. No vermin who is brave really ends up having that bravery come to use.

kind of explains why they're not plus they wouldn't have their fiends helping them unlike the woodlanders who are also far better fighters   

Wylder Treejumper

@Sanddunes: You know, you bring up a good point there. If a vermin does happen to be brave, it is very likely they will be the only brave one in their group. That means that any brave action they do would have to be done by themselves, because their comrades are presumably cowardly. This means that any brave action would be at an automatic disadvantage, because it instantly loses any power of numbers vermin might have.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.