News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Ranks

Started by Icefire, August 12, 2011, 11:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I believe discussion has covered why that would be hard to accomplish.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lutra

Yes, while we are the official forum, I think you'll find that its hard to judge ranks within Redwall.  Dibbun is really the only obvious rank.  It'll cause more trouble than its worth trying to support a rank system with Redwall-themed levels.  I use generics at my board because its practically impossible to rank levels with fandoms.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

eualaia

why does the first one haf to be newbie thats an insult to me
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Lutra

Newbie is not an insult.  You are new to the board, therefore, newbie is perfectly acceptable until you've written some messages across the board.  Show me a board where you don't start as a newbie or some other similar rank.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

eualaia

wizard 101: you start as a novice in the forums
wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Skalrag of Marshank

Wizard 101 isn't completely forum, though.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Icefire

How is novice better than newbie?
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Vulpin

I would have to agree, Newbie makes someone sound insignifigant. Mabey, if someone started out as a low level title from the book series, as already mentioned. Like Dibbun.

I guess changeing it from Newbie to just New would be an increase to. Since Newbie is a title, but new is a characterisation in a way, like one would strive to do a bit better, trying to not be new... Course for someone who isnt new, but doesnt post much, the title could be insulting in a way, i suppose. Perhaps changeing it to a forgien word, like how you would say Newbie in spainish or french, or latin. That way, the person doesnt realize that he is being called a Newbie. Then again, it might be better to just leave it the way it is. I mean it really is the admins decision, and that means this post is really not importain. So i think i'll just stop right here.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Chances are, anything will somehow offend someone. If newbie does, I think calling someone a dibbun would offend more people. There's a reason why the idea of modifying the ranks has been put down before, generic and simple doesn't allow for argument over whether the order is fine, or frustrate someone with a rank they won't like.
I'm of the opinion the system that's always been existent is the best way to go, if not even less ranks.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Tiria Wildlough

I like Novice better than Newbie.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Skipper

how does it matter, we have all been newbies, you just have to get enough posts whilst obeying the rules and bang! your not a newbie
simplez

Tiria Wildlough

Seriously, could we have ranks to apply for? Something like this:

Abbot/Abbess
Badgermum
Redwall Friar
Redwall Champion
Skipper of Otters
Squirrelchief
Vermin Warlord

Those are some, and I can’t think of any others, but I thought that it was a good idea. We could have a thread in Cavern Hole displaying them. Is there a way to have this?
I have a sinking feeling that there isn’t.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

Quote from: Skipper on December 21, 2011, 10:04:26 PM
how does it matter, we have all been newbies, you just have to get enough posts whilst obeying the rules and bang! your not a newbie
simplez

Exactly. You aren't a Newbie for very long are you?
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Skipper

actualy tiria i really like the Skipper of otters one but i wouldnt like loads of people being skipper of otters (im selfish in that way) but i do like all those ideas.
thank you Coobreedan :)

Lutra

QuoteSeriously, could we have ranks to apply for? Something like this:

Abbot/Abbess
Badgermum
Redwall Friar
Redwall Champion
Skipper of Otters
Squirrelchief
Vermin Warlord

No, that is not how forums work.  You set a level for a rank based on postcount or admin choice (in the case of the mods)....you can't just change the thing to say "Abbott" or "Skipper" just because you want it to.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra