Martin's sword blade

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, July 25, 2013, 02:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerLordFiredrake

Quote from: CaptainRocktree on December 02, 2014, 01:13:36 AM
Quote from: The Skarzs on November 30, 2014, 03:01:02 PM
Quote from: alderbowbeast on November 30, 2014, 01:49:02 PM
It is true that Iron is Iron, or steel as the case may be in Martin's sword, but there is one small factor that we need to keep in mind: The Redwall Series is fantasy.  In reality there is no such thing as a super metal.  All steel reacts the same.  The fact that the sword never rusts is again fantasy.  Keeping it out on the roof for who knows how many years would have pretty much destroyed it.  However, since Redwall is a fantasy series there can be such things a super metals that never break or rust.
There are superalloys, but they have only been invented by modern technology. Also, not all steel reacts the same: The carbon content or addition of other alloying materials gives steel a MASSIVE variety in the way it reacts to heat, tempering, shattering, bending, springing, rusting, durability, etc. (01 steel, 440, 5160, 1090, 1030: these are all different steels that have noticeable differences in them.)
   As stated before, perhaps in another thread, I think it might have been a natural alloy from the falling star; maybe osmium, iron, titanium, and nickel.
Titanium doesn't rust, and it is incredibly, incredibly strong. Osmium is a very dense metal, though it is brittle up to a point; this is where an alloy of iron would come in useful, to give it some flexing ability. Lastly, nickel is a metal used for stainless steel: it would give the metal a shine and a rust-resistance.
My guess it was most likely made out of titanium as its main source, because it meets most of the requirements of Martins sword :P. Since my glasses are made out of titanium, I can say that it is very, very, very strong! After many concussions,falls,hiking trips,hunting trips,mountain biking rides, and lots more, they still remain in one piece  ;)
True, didn't think of that.
baby turtle forever

LT Sandpaw

One way you could excuse the time it took to craft such a blade was the fact that badgers are much larger then mice, so much so that a sword like that would have been rather small, a mere knife to a badger. So combined with intense heat and the badgers massive strength It could be possible to finish the blade in a single night. With some help that is.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro