News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Podcasts

Started by W0NWILL, April 21, 2017, 01:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W0NWILL

I gotta talk about them, because, quite honestly, podcasts are my favorite form of entertainment. I honestly think they're better than TV. Does anyone here have any particular favorites/recommendations, or want to hear about them?

My current favorites are:

-Anything by the McElroy family. Special props to The Adventure Zone; My Brother, My Brother, and Me; and Sawbones. Most of their work has some swearing in it, in case you want to avoid swearing. What I love most about their shows is that they don't need to be offensive to be funny. They're some of the funniest people I've ever heard, and ever since they got called out for being offensive accidentally back in 2010, they have strove to be as welcoming in their humor as possible, which is something to be admired.

-Hello From the Magic Tavern. The basic premise is that this guy from our world fell through a magic portal behind a burger king into the magical world of Foon, and he sets up a podcast with the wifi signal coming through the magic portal, and he interviews various strange and magical creatures along with his two co-hosts: Chunt, a shapeshifter in the form of a badger; and Usidore, Wizard of the Twelfth Realm of Ephysius, Master of Light and Shadow, Manipulator or Magical Delights, Devourer of Chaos, Champion of the Great Halls of Terrakas. The Elves know him as Fi'ang Yalok, the Dwarves know him as Zohnen Upstanges, and he is known in the northeast as Gasmuanius Maystar. And the show's entirely improv and super funny. They do have an obsession with buttholes and there is some swearing.

-Lore. A podcast in which the host analyzes various legends, and it's super calming.

-Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. History lectures! They're long and interesting and informational.

-Welcome to Night Vale. Rain actually recommended this one to me. It's basically about a town that's super messed up and weird and everyone perceives it as normal.

Spoiler

Here's a couple kinetic texts of MBMBAM and TAZ, because you guys really should check them out. There's some swearing in both videos though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iyu6Cwr621o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7A7Gm-IjzZ4
[close]

Aimless Gallivanter

Ive been listening to the adventure zone!! i love it and the mcelroys.

i also listen to welcome to nightvale. im going to a live show soon!!

i also like Alice isnt Dead, which was made by the same people who made wtnv. If wtnv is a comedy with some elements of horror, then AiD is a horror with some comedy thrown in.
im gay!!!!!!

W0NWILL

YES. You have no idea how happy you make me, knowing that some other folks around here listen to TAZ! How far are you?

Aimless Gallivanter

like ep 8 i think? not far :U
im gay!!!!!!

Ashleg

This is very stupid, but what exactly IS a podcast?

Matthias720

A podcast is an audio or video show, usually a recording although sometimes live, of a person or persons discussing topics consistent with the theme of the show.

Ashleg

So, essentially, an unprofessional talk show?

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Ashleg on April 21, 2017, 04:57:57 PM
So, essentially, an unprofessional talk show?

In a sense, yes. Not quality-wise, though.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Ashleg

W0NWILL

Just you wait, Galli, it gets even more amazing.

Ash, you should definitely check a couple out! Podcasts make up the majority of my life.

Jetthebinturong

Night Vale is the only podcast I've listened to with any regularity. Should really get back into it. Only made it to episode 14 on my last listen.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Aimless Gallivanter

alice isn't dead is about a trucker's journey and search for her wife. i really enjoyed it, though it creeped me out on a few occasions. It's currently on hiatus tho :(
im gay!!!!!!

Lady Ashenwyte

I've been listening to some cool wargaming podcasts like The Eye of Horus. Good stuff to paint to.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

DanielofRedwall

Gonna bump this because I was about to make a topic for this before seeing this one exists.

Here's a list of the ones I follow most closely, with a brief description of what they're about/recommended introduction episode:

• Stuff You Should Know: Just two guys talking about any random topic of interest, ranging from whether there was a real King Arthur to how various drugs work. Their banter is also half the fun. My recommended episode: Otzi the Iceman.
  • This American Life: A pretty legendary podcast that's won a Pulitzer Prize. Each episode centres on a 'theme' and explores various stories on that theme, both serious and humorous. Recommended episode: Fiasco!
  • ReplyAll: A loosely Internet-themed podcast that again tackles both serious and humorous topics. They have various types of episodes, some are in the style of investigative journalism and some involve helping people with unusual tech problems. Recommended episode: The Case of the Missing Hit. This is possibly my favourite episode of any podcast ever, highly recommended.
  • Song Exploder: A podcast where musicians choose one of their songs and explain the writing process behind it. Recommended episode: Any by an artist you enjoy.
  • Democracy Sausage: Australian politics and policy themed, so probably a bit niche for most people here. Still, recommended episode: China's rise - is history repeating?
  • Invisibilia: An NPR podcast about the 'unseeable forces that control human behaviour', but really it's mostly just investigative journalism. Recommended episode: Two Heartbeats A Minute.

There's a lot of other ones I listen to every now and then, but those are my favourites. I also used to follow Night Vale but fell off that bandwagon at some point and now it's gone on too deep for me to catch up.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Jarky Thistlebrush

The only podcast I listen to regularly is Welcome to Nightvale, although I'm planning to discover more.
The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this: