News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Who's the better (BLANK)?

Started by Ashleg, September 15, 2017, 05:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the better FRIEND?

Martin
Gonff

The Skarzs

Ferahgo, definitely. He was extremely competent, and dangerous even to a badger. Plus he died in a badass way.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

I can't believe that got through the "PLEASE BAN ME NOW" Censor.

How did Swartt die again?

The Skarzs

Outcast of Redwall spoilers: Flung off a cliff by Sunflash.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Oh, I wasn't aware that Swartt was a Disney Villain. Good to know.

a crumb

Swartt is one of my favorite villains. More dynamic horde leader that underwent several phases of leadership. We saw him leading a small band and a large army. Both were interesting to see. We even got a family dynamic that's very uncommon with vermin leaders. Felt more fleshed out than most, definitely.
Which might make you think I voted for Swartt. But I didn't. Because I misclicked.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Ashleg on September 22, 2017, 05:40:23 PM
Fixed. 8-)

Ferahgo is much more interesting as far as the family aspect goes.
« Subject to editing »

Tam and Martin

voted swartt becus i don't remebemr ferahrgo sorry :D

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Jetthebinturong

Who's the better father? That's a tricky one. Was it the one who didn't care about his mate, gave his son to someone else and then left them both to die in a ditch? Or was it the one who was actively involved in a hypercompetitive assassination game with his son? Personally, I say Ferahgo. He actually raised Klitch to at least his teenage years, and he never actively wants Klitch dead, he only retaliates to his attacks, iirc.

Ferahgo is also my favourite character out of the two, if you weren't literally asking who the better father was.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

I was asking a mix of the two, and you bring up some pretty valid points.

I voted for Feragho meself.

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 22, 2017, 05:54:00 PM
Quote from: Ashleg on September 22, 2017, 05:40:23 PM
Fixed. 8-)

Ferahgo is much more interesting as far as the family aspect goes.

Now it has incorrect grammar. Fix it.

James Gryphon

From my memory of Salamandastron, Ferahgo and Klitch never actually attack or do anything against each other. There's one or two moments where there's some violent tension (and a time where Ferahgo thought his son had something to do with an assassination attempt), but ultimately they stay on the same side throughout the entire book.

That said, Swartt is pretty much at the bottom of the list as far as vermin parents go. Besides at least being a pretty successful warlord (giving his son a verminy role model to look up to, at least until they actually met) he was a terrible father. Sawney Rath might make a more interesting comparison, or Riggu Felis.
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

Sawney Rath was the best father. No questions asked.

Right Felis was horrible.

Jetthebinturong

Swartt is literally at the bottom of the father list. Except maybe for Nimbalo's dad. We don't have an accurate way of gauging their relative horribleness.

Riggu Felis, if I recall correctly, was actually a pretty decent father for a villain. He discouraged infighting between his kids, admonished Pitru for being so bloodthirsty, and tried to encourage Jeefra to stand up to his brother and be more confident. I mean, he did all of these things in a kind of cold, villainous way, but relatively speaking he was a pretty good dad.

I literally just noticed that the Felis family is like a taken-up-to-eleven version of the Greeneyes family. Riggu is like a more evil Verdauga, Pitru is like a bratty Tsarmina, and Jeefra is like an even meeker version of Gingivere.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Jeefra was treated really poorly by Riggu, or was that just me?

Wylder Treejumper

Yeah, because his father thought he was a milksop. Which, actually, he kind of was (especially for a wildcat). Still, Riggu Felis was a relatively responsible father, and I was always disappointed when he was killed before Pitru.

As for Swartt, I haven't read Outcast in a long time, but I recall him as particularly callous. Ferahgo seemed much more... involved with his son.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

a crumb

Swartt did not care about marrying Bluefen, but did to safeguard his consolidating power. He did not care about the birth of Veil, did not care when the child was lost after a battle, and did not care when he returned after many seasons. He was an extraordinarily apathetic father. But, we did get to see a vermin leader before he had a child, and in the early days of such a thing. I can't think of another example of that outside Sawney Rath...who was a lot more interested in 'his' child.