News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Great Sea Race! [EXTRAVAGANZA EVENT]

Started by Captain Tammo, October 31, 2017, 02:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

(THIS RP IS NOW OPEN!)

Prompt:
The mouse known as Captain Crash was the sailor of sailors – a real legend in her time. From humble beginnings, she had risen through the hardship that is a seafaring life until she, through a track record that solidified her name in history, established herself the unofficial yet highly regarded title of Queen of the Western Sea. Despite not being a real monarch, Her Majesty Captain Crash had amassed a fortune to rival even the richest of rulers.

Now she was dead.

What killed her still remains a mystery. In fact, very few creatures had seen the elusive mouse in recent seasons, and speculation ran wild. Though not as wild as what was announced to all sailors of the ocean following her death: in her last written word, Captain Crash promised her title and her treasure to go to the winner of a sea race. Anyone who won the race would become the new ruler of the Western Sea, take her treasure, her fortresses, and all else that was once hers.

The beach of a small island was lined with ship crews of all shapes and sizes: searats, corsairs, privateers, villagers, all from the far reaches of the great blue, stood anxiously with their varying-sized crews on the sand. Everyone's ships were moored on the shore, waiting for the race to begin. The rules were simple: when the start of the race was announced, sailors must push their vessels into the water and race across the sea to the island of Ami-Jowi. How they got there did not matter, but the first to get their ship there and claim the golden oar on the island's sandy shore would be the new heir to Captain Crash's throne. The way was not short of peril, and conflict on the open waves would surely ensue, but that was life at sea and part of the risk.

A shadowed figure nodded to Catamello, the now former advisor to the late Sea Queen. He emerged onto a broad balcony overlooking the beach and put his paws up to silence the creatures on the beach below. He said very little. "In honor of Captain Crash's last written orders to her crew, whoever among you is the first to sail across the sea and claim the golden oar on the shore of Ami-Jowi Isle will inherit the late Queen's treasure, her title, and all that she possessed. When I drop my paws, the race will begin. May the wind always fill your sails and may your journeys be quick. Ready, let the race begin!" As the queen's late advisor dropped his paws, all crews on the beach rushed to their ships and began the task of getting them back into the water.

Crews and Vessels:
Hares from Salamandastron aboard the Wave Wanderer, headed by Captain Carmen O'Foster Bobo and a crew of a score (20).
Searats from nowhere in particular aboard the Floating Flea, headed by Captain Sceever and a crew of two and a half score (50).
Corsairs (also from nowhere in particular) aboard the Bloody Barrel, headed by Captain Damian, Terror of the High Seas, and a crew of two and a half score (50).
A group of seemingly peaceful island mice aboard the Holly Hopper, headed by Captain Split and a crew of 15.
A ragtag group of sea otter outlaws aboard the Freewave, headed by Captain Ogagan and a crew of 15.
___________ aboard the ___________, headed by Captain __________ and a crew of ____________ (player's choice! Choosing to make a character does not gain or lose one consideration when judging occurs. Be sure to introduce the character if you make a new one).

How to play (everyone please read)!
To be considered for points, one must post in the RP at least 4 times. Judging is based off of quality of post. The winner of the race is not necessarily the winner of the RP in judging. That title goes to whoever does the best job with progressing the story and playing their part.

All OOC and IC posts will occur on this topic. No extra topics have been made. OOC posts do not count toward the 4-post minimum to be considered for judging.

Players will RP as vessel Captains and their crews. One may play as other characters, but may not god-mode. If a dispute should arise, then the post that caused the problem should be re-written (this expedites the problem-solving process and allows for the RP to carry on). Bickering does not bode well for when judging comes around.

Anyone may jump in at any time. The sea is big! So it's okay if ships disappear from view and come back later. Though we encourage interaction.

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nadaz, voice of the host

I will be evana vole of the holly hopper the only vole in a crew of mice.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

HoltLutra

I would take the otters on board the Freewave, headed by Captain Ogagan.
Happy to Be Exploring Redwall!

Nadaz, voice of the host

When the flaming arrow signaling the start of the race was fired Evana was ready. At Spilt's command the Holly Hopper was of like a streak across the ocean's waves. Evana was steering the ship and loving the spray of seafoam generated by their vessel she felt certain her crew would be victorious for no  beast knew of their hidden weapons, 2 balistas and many moltv cocktails hidden below the Holly Hopper's decks.

HoltLutra

Captain Ogagan, Captain of the Freewave, chopped a rope with his axe and the sail unfurled. A large gust of wind sent the Freewave shooting across the waves. Otters ran around the deck, tying something here, unfurling something there. The crew began singing a rowdy sea otter sailing song as they closely followed the Holly Hopper.

Nadaz, voice of the host

Ahead of the pack but not by much the crew of the Holly Hopper unfurled both of their sails and manned the oars the remaining crew hands loaded the balistae and prepared to fend of any attack.

Captain Tammo

OOC: just jumping in here and there! If we only have a few people in this, I'll jump around and act out some of the others while this is going on!

BIC: The Floating Flea was already a mess. Hardly 100 yards out from the start, arguing broke out. It appeared two rats were fighting over who would take the wheel for the first leg of the journey. The large vessel veered wildly in the waves as if it were trying to shake a pursuer.

Carmen O'Foster Bobo, Long Patrol hare and Captain of the much smaller Wave Wanderer, was nearly rammed by the searats in the Floating Flea. She shouted insults at the bigger ship, her face red with exertion and brandishing a rapier at them. It was hard to hear some of what she was saying if one were standing downwind, but it had something to do with "Using your guts fer garters and using your pelt as a duster." It was worthy language for a sailor.

Just as it seemed the Floating Flea would run them over, it jerked sharply in the opposite direction. Carmen ordered full sail and the Wave Wanderer distanced itself from the mess of a ship. Though this did not put the hares in first. There were still three others nearby and ahead: the Freewave in the front, then the Holly Hopper, and the Bloody Barrel not far behind.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nadaz, voice of the host

Evena was at the wheel of Holly Hopper when the lookout saw the Flea veer off coruse everyone on board sighed in relief but with the Bloody Barrel  gaining on them the ship's carpenter pulled forth from the hold 5 floating barrels embeded with iron spikes pointing in all directions to pierce a ship's hull he throw 3 of them in the water behind them hoping to sink the Bloody Barrel.

LT Sandpaw

OOC: I'll jump in as Captain Damian at the helm of the Bloody Barrel

IC:

Standing by the helm with the steersrat, Captain Damian Grog, feared captain of the Corsair vessel the Bloody Barrel watched his larger ship bear down upon the Holly Hopper. Silks and turban flapping in the wind Damian screamed out commands to his minions in a startlingly high pitch voice, all the while taking large gulps from a bottle of his namesake. The big ferret cared little for formalities and he pointed a scabby claw towards the mouse boat, a sniggering maliciously.

"Squish dem 'alfmice Bobbo, make 'em all likkle mousy fishbait hehehehe. Tha treasure be good as min- er I mean ours! Har har!"

"Aye, aye Cap'n." Bobbo the steersrat needed no second bidding, setting the swift corsair ship on course to ram the even smaller mouse craft, chuckling along with his insane master. The two watched on baited breath, eyeing the smaller ship grow closer and closer. As the two vermin looked on the mice seemed to hesitate, and then launch a few barrels over the side. Bobbo scratched his head in puzzlement but Damian, a veteran at sea chases knew the answer, or at least he thought he did.

"Th' cads!" He cried, in a voice liable to make anybeast squeamish. "They be throwin' good grog overboard to make 'em ship lighter an' to insult me! By thunder I'll 'ave their tails fer wastin' good grog, pile on all sail! Don' let 'em get away lads!" The corsair crew jumped at his command, rats scurried up ropes, stoats unfurled sail cloth, ferrets rolled barrels, weasels tied knots, and foxes pretended to look busy. Some of the more experienced fighting vermin piled at the prow, bows and arrows and harpoons in paw, hoping to slay anymouse not killed by the ploughing Bloody Barrel, each one seeking vengeance for the abandoned grog.

"A full barrel to th' creature oo' brings me one alive!" Damian screamed twirling an empty bottle over his head. A great cheer rose from the crew as they crested a wave, drawing closer to their hated enemy.
"FOR THE GROG!" They cried together just as the first barrel hit.

Thunk, thunk, thunk.

"Wot in th' blazes was that?" Damian asked glancing about. "No matter, onward lads!" The Bloody Barrel sailed on after its quarry, and unbeknownst to anybeast onboard it sank a little lower in the water.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

HoltLutra

Captain Ogagan saw the Bloody Barrel streak across the waves toward the vulnerable Holly Hopper. The Captain could not stand by and watch the   ruthless Corsairs slaughter the crew of the Holly Hopper. He shoved the steersotter out of the way and jerked the wheel left. The  vessel lurched sideways and nearly crashed into the Bloody Barrel.

Some otters drew out shortbows and launched a swift volley at the Corairs, trying to draw them away from ramming the Holy Hopper.

Nadaz, voice of the host

Evena sighed ''those were kind otters but we had it taken care of''
''aye '' responed Capt. Slipt ''they will be slaughtered but if their not and we win lets share one-forth of the loot with them, now lets use this to our advantage and take the lead!''

HoltLutra

The Captain heard a loud thud and saw the Bloody Barrel sink lower in the water. The arrows seemed to strike a few vermin, but no major damage was done. The Captain surrendered the wheel back to the steersotter and had him turn away and pursue the Holly Hopper.

LT Sandpaw

A few screams and a loud splash signaled the timely arrival of Captain Ogagna and his otter crew. A few of the braver corsairs popped up to release a hurried volley at the retreating vessel, never staying up for more than a few moments. Those otter archers were accurate shots. Many of the vermin counted themselves lucky to not be one of the few saps who'd caught a shaft, many of those were still rolling on the deck, swarmed by their shipmates for their valuables. Captain Damian on the other paw stamped his boots in rage, screaming obscenities after the vigilante lutrinaes. Torn between two targets, and with a fair amount of rage directed at both the Bloody Barrel stalled in the water, allowing the Holly Hopper and the Freewave gain valuable meters.

"Cap'n! Th' grog storage be floodin'!"

All frantic activity aboard the Bloody Barrel ground to a very sudden halt. Damian Grog ceased his cursed rambling, turning his wild eyes upon a scrawny little weasel who'd given the pronouncement.

"Say it again Bloudeye?" Damian prompted, wriggling a claw in his dirty ear. "I don' think I 'eard ye right. Did ye just say th' grog storage, th' most important part o' me vessel be floodin' full o' seawater? An wit' it me prize ship be sinkin' cause o' th' tricks employed by th' blasted mice n' otters? An as a result we'll 'ave to trim sail an' potentially lose th' race an those grog-wasting villains."

The weasel Bloudeye looked confused. "Er, er, I never said all tha' Cap'n. But tis true."

"By thunder." Damian whispered, horror lighting up behind his dull yellow eyes. "Quick, quick all ye sea scabs n' mothers son o' ye. Get below decks, save me grog n' ship! Form a line start bailing ye paw blistered, toad warted, crab pussed lay'arounds! Get to work th' lot o' ye, yew, and yew too. Get up into th' masts an' trim th' sails! Hurry 'afore I lay into ye wit' me sword!"

Vermin scampered this way and that, collecting bottles, jugs, bowls and more forming a running chain that disappeared into the stinky depths of the corsair ship. Everyone worked as if their lives depended upon it, which they did. Before long the Bloody Barrel had made noticeable progress in its sinking, and Damian had worked himself into a fine temper. He paced the lower decks, never once lending a paw in support, allowing his overactive tongue to do most of the work. There wasn't a single varmint aboard the Bloody Barrel who didn't have the irate captain berate him or her at least once. Most of his tongue flapping and paw slapping was saved for the lazy beasts like Bobblepaws, and Fishnook whom he followed back and forth from the ever deepening lake forming in the ship's belly to the railing, never once giving them an opportunity to rest. Both physically and mentally.

After a good while Damian exhausted his supply of insults, and grew bored with assaulting his crew. He instead sent for his bosun, steersrat, and First mate to meet him on the helm deck to discuss their possibilities. The ship at that point was sitting very low in the water, and was tilting dangerously to the port side.

"Any o' yew got any bright ideas?" Damian asked, his voice very hoarse and scratchy. The ferret downed a beaker of grog, coughing into his elbow before continuing. "Cause, this isn't workin'. We'll be swimmin' wit' th' fishes give it another few hours, an' I can't swim to save me life. An' I really want to slit those mice's throats now. So either give me a workable sol-loo-tion or I'll be slitting yer throats nice n' painful like to make up for it."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

HoltLutra

The Freewave rode a whitecap and sped down toward the ocean. The seas were getting rougher by the minute. The crew ran around the deck, preparing for the worst. 

Captain Tammo

The great waters of the sea began turning a dull grey as heavy clouds blotted out the sun like a careless drop of ink on a canvas. The great Western Sea was a dangerous place, and storms were not uncommon. Perhaps this was not the greatest of days to hold a race, after all? But no matter, the crown of Captain Crash was up for grabs, and hardship should have been assumed at the very start.

Catamello, the one who had started the race with a drop of his paw, retreated from the balcony into the fort. He had been watching the ships recede into the distance. "Storm's coming. We'll have to wait a bit before sending the birds out for more information on the race." He said grumpily to one of the many hooded figures in the great room inside the fort. In the center of the room there lay a grand sea chart. A set of markers depicted the position of the ships as they moved. The race to Ami-Jowi isle was through one of the harshest stretches of sea there were. It was no surprise that a storm was already whipping its way up now. "My best estimate puts whoever is in the lead at reaching the waters of the Saberfin, monster of the deep, in two days time. I am curious to see how this will pan out. No beast has bested the great swordfish in all its history..."