"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Chickenhound's survival

Started by Jack the Quick, May 15, 2019, 10:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Steelinghades on June 21, 2019, 06:27:56 AM
Quote from: The Skarzs on May 16, 2019, 01:13:32 AM
That means you need to brush up on the books. ;)

His mother was a healer, so he knew how to heal wounds and deal with poison. . . Though how he would have dealt with a venom known to kill is a mystery.

How would anyone in any pseudo medieval story deal with venoms and poisons, frankly without modern medicine--or magic, but redwall's not that kind of fantasy, although I would read a high fantasy version of redwall to death--is frankly a mystery, or more accurately, they deal with it via the power of plot.
In Outcast of Redwall there was a time when
Spoiler
a healer squirrel helped Sunflash the Mace recover from adder bites. (Though, the fact that badgers are immune to poison probably helped a lot...)
[close]
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

In the end, Chikenhound could have used his knowledge to temporarily stop the spreading and later find other more permanent means deal with it

any pseudo medieval story deal with venoms and poisons, frankly without modern medicine--or magic, but redwall's not that kind of fantasy
Spoiler
Um, do you not remember how the toothless otter completely transformed and healed the scared and coma induced Denya? And don't forget seeress ect
[close]

clunylooney

If this were real life, I'm pretty sure Slagar would have had to rip his own face off. :P
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

clunylooney

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on June 26, 2019, 06:34:16 PM
Quote from: The Skarzs on May 16, 2019, 01:13:32 AM
That means you need to brush up on the books. ;)

His mother was a healer, so he knew how to heal wounds and deal with poison. . . Though how he would have dealt with a venom known to kill is a mystery.

How would anyone in any pseudo medieval story deal with venoms and poisons, frankly without modern medicine--or magic, but redwall's not that kind of fantasy, although I would read a high fantasy version of redwall to death--is frankly a mystery, or more accurately, they deal with it via the power of plot.
In Outcast of Redwall there was a time when
Spoiler
a healer squirrel helped Sunflash the Mace recover from adder bites. (Though, the fact that badgers are immune to poison probably helped a lot...)
[close]
I'm pretty sure only Honey Badgers are immune to venom.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Corporal Rubbadub

Maybe he just crawled away, I mean his body probably had built up some resilience for getting tossed around, so maybe he just crawled away.

Ripred the Gnawer

Quote from: Jack the Quick on May 15, 2019, 10:47:39 PM
I was just wondering... How did Chickenhound (later Slagar) survived Asmodeus. I mean, he was bitten and what appeared to be his tail was found by Matthias in Asmodeus's cave, but I just don't get how he survived. I would appreciate if you guys could help me out with this one.  ;)

I know what you mean. Also, how come he wanted to change his name to Mousdeath but then he changed it to Slagar instead.
And where did he get the mask he wears (and how come he knew how bad his face looked without using a mirror?) anyway?
'We stop looking for monsters under the bed when we realize they are inside of us'
"If you gaze long enough into the abyss, it'll gaze back at you"

Cornflower MM

Was his tail found by Matthias in Asmodeus' cave? It's been a long time since I read Redwall but I don't recall that.
Either way, I would assume he saw his reflection in a pond or something shiny, and I'm sure he was probably told by anyone he met before acquiring his mask. I believe it's some sort of dyed or painted sturdy cloth or leather. I don't know what their leather was made of (other than the shark for the drum from Rakkey Tam but I recall several instances reading about it) so I guess it was a thing.

Grond

I think snakes do not inject the same amount of venom with each bite. Given that Asmodeus is semi-sentient or maybe even fully sentient he would have likely gauged how much venom to inject- given that Chickenhoud was a young and runtier fox he may have injected a lot less venom into him with the bite than normal. This combined with his knowledge of herbal medicine could explain his recovery. As his mother's medicine allowed Cluny to fully recover from really the serious injuries he sustained after his fall off the Redwall battlements.

Ripred the Gnawer

Quote from: Grond on November 02, 2020, 04:14:14 PM
I think snakes do not inject the same amount of venom with each bite. Given that Asmodeus is semi-sentient or maybe even fully sentient he would have likely gauged how much venom to inject- given that Chickenhoud was a young and runtier fox he may have injected a lot less venom into him with the bite than normal. This combined with his knowledge of herbal medicine could explain his recovery. As his mother's medicine allowed Cluny to fully recover from really the serious injuries he sustained after his fall off the Redwall battlements.

Well, but Cluny was a legendary beast. And the book said that any other beast would have been killed by the fall, but not Cluny. So maybe he is immune to that kind of thing, which would also explain why Sela's herbs worked effectively on Cluny but not on Chickenhound. I mean, Cluny was fine and he recovered within three weeks, but Slagar's face was ruined for the rest of his life.
'We stop looking for monsters under the bed when we realize they are inside of us'
"If you gaze long enough into the abyss, it'll gaze back at you"