News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Correlation of Ages between Redwall and our world.

Started by The Skarzs, October 23, 2018, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Here is a topic to discuss how Redwall can be equivalent in history to our own world. Examples are arms and armor, housing and castles, social and governmental structures, and other things.

@Steelinghades I thought we could bring our discussion here so we aren't crowding up another thread with off-topic stuff.

If I remember right, Martin's armor would have been similar to this.

It couldn't cover everything like the full plate armor used on horseback, bit this would be decent armor for someone fighting on foot.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Steelinghades

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 23, 2018, 05:59:16 PM
Here is a topic to discuss how Redwall can be equivalent in history to our own world. Examples are arms and armor, housing and castles, social and governmental structures, and other things.

@Steelinghades I thought we could bring our discussion here so we aren't crowding up another thread with off-topic stuff.

If I remember right, Martin's armor would have been similar to this.

It couldn't cover everything like the full plate armor used on horseback, bit this would be decent armor for someone fighting on foot.

I don't actually remember any descriptions of the armour Martin worewhenhe fought Tsarmina, though if he got it from Boar it would make a bit of sense. I know Boar wore plate reminiscent of 14th century plate.

It doesn't change my belief though that the majority of the arms and armour are 13th century and the previous centuries, with just off the top of my head: the vermin in Mossflower having full maille suits, Damug warfang having a copper Hauberk, I believe Ungatt trunn had a Hauberk, and a few others that appeared, Cluny as well I believe.

And since I'm an utter Nitpicker, the pictured armour has a lot of problems, the pauldrons are way too loose, other then his aventail he has no maille on--which was not done until the fifteenth century and on--He has no plackart or faulds, his cuisses are too low and this is more a complaint of safety but, Is that a crossbow bolt in his eye slit!

The Skarzs

Lol. I think so.

I personally envision the stories taking place somewhere between 800-1300 AD.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Steelinghades

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 23, 2018, 08:37:11 PM
Lol. I think so.

I personally envision the stories taking place somewhere between 800-1300 AD.

Sounds about right, maybe a bit earlier. Though some parts of the series can go far beyond the Middle ages, up to the late Early modern and into the Late modern. Specifically the hares and their uniforms.

The Skarzs

Oh yes, definitely. That uniform see little out of place, but it fits them.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Steelinghades

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 23, 2018, 10:44:49 PM
Oh yes, definitely. That uniform see little out of place, but it fits them.

I agree it does fit them, though armour would be more useful. A lot of characters that have died would have survived with a bit of armour.

Hazelrah42

Hey guys I've thought about this and wanted your thoughts:

1. Lord Brocktree - Mid 12th Century
2. Legend of Luke - Mid 12th Century
3. Martin the Warrior - Late 12th Century
4. Mossflower - Early 13th Century
5. Outcast of Redwall - Mid 13th Century
6. Salamandastron - Late 13th Century
7. Mariel of Redwall - Early 14th Century
8. The Bellmaker - Early 14th Century
9. Redwall (book) - Mid 14th Century
10. Mattimeo - Mid 14th Century
11. Pearls of Lutra - Late 14th Century
12. The Long Patrol - Early 15th Century
13. Marlfox - Early 15th Century
14. Taggerung - Mid 15th Century
15. Triss - Mid 15th Century
16. Loamhedge - Late 15th Century
17. Rakkety Tam - Late 15th Century
18. High Rhulain! - Early 16th Century
19. Eulalia! - Early 16th Century
20. Doomwyte - Mid 16th Century
21. The Sable Quaen - Late 16th Century
22. The Rogue Crew - Late 16th Century

This is based mostly on how I think the armor of Lord Brocktree, Boar the Fighter and Martin the Warrior would have looked like, also on the early Redwall history being similar to that of England's with the Saxon raids prior to the invasion of William the Conqueror.

The Skarzs

Seems decently accurate, though it's kind of ambiguous in the series since there are things that existed only at later times that were used in conjunction with older inventions.

Weapons are a big part of ages. For example, types of swords were used in certain times of history that did not see the use of others. Slings are also an older type of weaponry, and didn't see much use in the later centuries.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Grond

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 16, 2019, 03:01:21 PM
Seems decently accurate, though it's kind of ambiguous in the series since there are things that existed only at later times that were used in conjunction with older inventions.

Weapons are a big part of ages. For example, types of swords were used in certain times of history that did not see the use of others. Slings are also an older type of weaponry, and didn't see much use in the later centuries.

Slings are also a weapon of convenience though. Absent more sophisticated and efficient weaponry a sling could be fashioned out of everyday materials or materials you can find out in nature. Making a sword and armour requires specialized equipment and skill. Also mind you different tribes and groups in Redwall where at different technological levels with respect to weaponry.

You do see time and again in Redwall characters making weapons out of what they have on hand. I.e. making slingshots and using pebbles or making spears out of sharpened stakes. If we look at the weaponry of an army that had its own forge and armoury i.e. the Long Patrol the types of swords, javelins, bows and arrows used etc... seem to be fairly similar from the chronologically early to the late books.

Steelinghades

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 16, 2019, 03:01:21 PM

Slings saw use up into the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, there are late medieval drawings of forces defending a castle's walls with slings occaisonally.

Quote from: Hazelrah42 on October 05, 2019, 04:16:28 AM
Hey guys I've thought about this and wanted your thoughts:

1. Lord Brocktree - Mid 12th Century
2. Legend of Luke - Mid 12th Century
3. Martin the Warrior - Late 12th Century
4. Mossflower - Early 13th Century
5. Outcast of Redwall - Mid 13th Century
6. Salamandastron - Late 13th Century
7. Mariel of Redwall - Early 14th Century
8. The Bellmaker - Early 14th Century
9. Redwall (book) - Mid 14th Century
10. Mattimeo - Mid 14th Century
11. Pearls of Lutra - Late 14th Century
12. The Long Patrol - Early 15th Century
13. Marlfox - Early 15th Century
14. Taggerung - Mid 15th Century
15. Triss - Mid 15th Century
16. Loamhedge - Late 15th Century
17. Rakkety Tam - Late 15th Century
18. High Rhulain! - Early 16th Century
19. Eulalia! - Early 16th Century
20. Doomwyte - Mid 16th Century
21. The Sable Quaen - Late 16th Century
22. The Rogue Crew - Late 16th Century

This is based mostly on how I think the armor of Lord Brocktree, Boar the Fighter and Martin the Warrior would have looked like, also on the early Redwall history being similar to that of England's with the Saxon raids prior to the invasion of William the Conqueror.

This is a bit questionable however, There are numerous inventions and changes that happened throughout the Medieval period that don't correlate well with Redwall. You can say certain books have technology equivalent to certain centuries of the Middle Age, but then you have the Long Patrol, who hare more akin to the eighteenth/nineteenth centuries in manner of dress and even later in terms of mannerisms. Redwall as a whole is Pseudomedieval, like the elder scrolls series, that has the trappings of warmaking technology of the medieval ages covered with a far more varied social environment that can be likened to multiple different periods of history.