Eastern Lands

Started by Redwallforever29, January 12, 2018, 02:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwallforever29

Ok so I been rereading the Redwall books and for the most part I've noticed they travel in almost every direction. The west is clearly covered with the great sea and the islands, southern areas include Southsward and Loamhedge and northern areas like Noonvale and Riftgard. But what about the east?? Seems the farthest eastern location is still in Mossflower, maybe I'm wrong but do we ever visit past where the River Moss is??

SoranMBane

The eastern part of Mossflower country seems to be bordered by a coast, just like the west. I'm pretty sure the farthest east any of the books have taken place has been in Martin the Warrior, where much of the book is set on the northeastern coast. Also, in The Sable Quean, we meet a female badger (Ambrevina Rockflash) who tells us that she lived on the eastern shores. So, Mossflower country seems to be either a very big island or a large peninsula.

Jetthebinturong

Big island sounds about right, it's based on Great Britain, after all. And then Green Isle is probably Ireland.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Yeah.

Probably the least explored area would be southeastern part. We see Southsward, which is still relatively close to the coast. We see the Northeast with Matin the Warrior, some of the east part in Loamhedge and some description, as with Ambrevina, but nothing directly earth of Southsward.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Redwallforever29

Green Isle is definitely Ireland, the map even included Nessie! Yeah I never really thought about an east coast. Does it say how many days away it was?

Southsward was such a mysterious place, I wish we had a whole book devoted to it.

Jetthebinturong

You are aware that Loch Ness, i.e. the homeplace of Nessie, is in Scotland, right? And Scotland is on the island of Great Britain, not Ireland.

Quick refresher course:
England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the countries of the UK, which stands for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
England, Scotland and Wales are on the island of Great Britain. Scotland is in the north, England dominates most of the island, and Wales juts off the west side.
The island of Ireland is made up of the countries of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
These two islands together, plus all the mini islands that surround them are known as the British Isles.

Redwallforever29

I don't know why I said Nessie was in Ireland I kept thinking how green isle included the Deeplough. But more evidence of it being Ireland is the fact that green is commonly associated with shamrocks.

I wonder if Bj chose a specific area like Wales as inspiration. Obviously there aren't any dormant volcanos but there are plenty of similarities.

asmodeus

BTW, there is a book about southsward, The Bellmaker
Also, the East Coast is shown on the map in The Long Patrol and Loamhedge
I use arch btw.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Redwallforever29 on January 13, 2018, 01:48:29 PM
I don't know why I said Nessie was in Ireland I kept thinking how green isle included the Deeplough. But more evidence of it being Ireland is the fact that green is commonly associated with shamrocks.

Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle.

Ashleg

Or, appropriately, as the potato isle.

Sanddunes

There's a lot of stuff we don't know about like I said before it's mostly focused in certain areas most of the time

arielle17

It really is a shame that the Eastern lands were never explored, especially if, going by real-world geography, they'd be analogous to Europe.
I wonder if there are any good fanfictions that explore this idea...