News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

"The questions that you ask determine your quality of life. Like, if you wake up and ask yourself 'why do I feel horrible today?' then you're gonna have a bad day. But if you ask yourself 'why is today such an awesome day?' then it'll be a great day." -a lady that goes to my church.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Jetthebinturong

"Arnesians had a dozen ways to say hello, but no word for good-bye.
When it came to parting ways, they sometimes said vas ir, which meant in peace, but more often they chose to say anoshe - until another day.
Anoshe was a word for strangers in the street, and lovers between meetings, for parents and children, friends and family. It softened the blow of leaving. Eased the strain of parting. A careful nod to the certainty of today, to the mystery of tomorrow. When a friend left, with little chance of seeing home, they said anoshe. When a loved one was dying, they said anoshe. When corpses were burned, bodies given back to the earth and souls to the stream, those left grieving said anoshe.
Anoshe brought solace. And hope. And the strength to let go."
~ A Conjuring of Light, V. E. Schwab
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 09, 2017, 07:56:46 PM
"Arnesians had a dozen ways to say hello, but no word for good-bye.
When it came to parting ways, they sometimes said vas ir, which meant in peace, but more often they chose to say anoshe - until another day.
Anoshe was a word for strangers in the street, and lovers between meetings, for parents and children, friends and family. It softened the blow of leaving. Eased the strain of parting. A careful nod to the certainty of today, to the mystery of tomorrow. When a friend left, with little chance of seeing home, they said anoshe. When a loved one was dying, they said anoshe. When corpses were burned, bodies given back to the earth and souls to the stream, those left grieving said anoshe.
Anoshe brought solace. And hope. And the strength to let go."
~ A Conjuring of Light, V. E. Schwab

I like this.
A year ago, I made the switch from saying the word "bye" to my grandparents, friends, or parents, instead swapping it for "see you later". Because why leave it at goodbye.

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Ashleg

Toodles? Forget that. Why use "toodles" when you can say "Adios, you big amigo."

Delthion

Because toodles is better. Period. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Maudie

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg

Toodles makes me picture a skin rash for some reason.

Wylder Treejumper

For profundity, I use "Vaya con Dios." Something I picked up from an old Hispanic tradition.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Maudie

Yeah. That translates to "Go with God" for those of you unfamiliar with Spanish.

Ashleg

"Tscüss!" is a German goodbye stemming from a mix of "ciao" and "adieu", I believe. It's pretty awesome.

Delthion

Ashleg

Yes of course, but the hip youngsters say Tschüss.

Delthion

(A.K.A. the ones who are not speaking to a stranger or an elder.) ;D

Ashleg

My teacher and I are on "tschüss" terms with each other.