News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

Ah, I didn't know about that last part. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

TheRedSnifit

From Heart of Darkness:

QuoteHe was obeyed, yet he inspired neither love nor fear, nor even respect. He inspired uneasiness. That was it! Uneasiness. Not a definite mistrust—just uneasiness—nothing more. You have no idea how effective such a... a... faculty can be. He had no genius for organizing, for initiative, or for order even. That was evident in such things as the deplorable state of the station. He had no learning, and no intelligence. His position had come to him—why? Perhaps because he was never ill.

Not terribly profound, but it describes my boss to a T so it's a winner in my book.

Wylder Treejumper

I see we have a well educated rat here! Not many beasts still read Conrad.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

TheRedSnifit

I regret to say that Heart of Darkness is the only Conrad story I've read. Do you have any recommendations?

Luftwaffles

"Are you crazy? That's assault!

And here's your pepper! *Slaps*".

- The Three Stooges movie.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jetthebinturong

"I'd rather die on an adventure than live standing still."
~ A Darker Shade of Magic, V. E. Schwab

"She was the Wraith. No laws applied to her except the law of gravity, and sometimes she defied that too."
~ Six of Crows, Leigh Bardugo

"No mourners."
"No funerals."
Among them it passed for good luck.

"When everyone already knows you're a monster, you hardly need to waste your time doing every monstrous thing."

"Depending on where you began the story, it was a story about the women of 300 Fox Way."
"Depending on where you began the story, it was about Declan Lynch."
"Depending on where you began the story, it was about Neeve Mullen."
"Depending on where you began the story, it was about Henry Cheng."
"Depending on where you began the story, it was about Gwenllian."
"Depending on where you began the story, it was about the Gray Man."
"Depending on where you began the story, it was about Seondeok."
"Depending on where you began the story, it was about Noah Czerny."
"Depending on where you began the story, it was about Cabeswater."
~ The Raven King, Maggie Stiefvater
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Hickory

"Did anyone else get the naked women asking about your childhood?" I asked.
"I got a man," Susan said.
"Woman," said Harry.
"Man," said Jesse.
"Women," said Thomas.
"Man," said Alan.
We all looked at him.
"What?" Alan said. "I'm gay."

-Old Man's War
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others, the other elements, the other nations, will help you become whole."
~ Avatar: The Last Airbender (Season 2 Episode 9: Bitter Work)
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Maudie

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou

"What e'er thou art, act well thy part."

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it's thinking of yourself less." -C.S. Lewis

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Delthion

"They have made their cake and must lie on it."

"I think you mean they cannot have their bed and eat it too?"

~Conversation between Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Maudie

"A champion is not made when he succeeds; a champion is made when you look back at the seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, and months he has spent preparing." -Eliud Kipchoge
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg

"There's an old sayin', lad. What doesn't kill ya...usually succeeds in a second attempt."
-Eugene Krabs

TheRedSnifit

"Anything labeled 'This end toward enemy' is dangerous at both ends."

~Howard Taylor

Søren

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been."
-Wayne Gretzky

I'm retired from the forum

Ashleg

"If you can't join them, beat them."