"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Star Wars discussion

Started by blindsimeonjtp, October 07, 2012, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

I finally watched the trailer...

*Screams.*
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Lady Amber

Jukka the Sling

The newest episode of Forces of Destiny just revealed that Hera and Chopper survive the Battle of Endor!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Lady Ashenwyte

People may have seen The Last Jedi and wanted to discuss it, but a lot of us haven't and those who have seen it should avoid spoiling the movie. So, I made this thread for that purpose.

First of all, I thought Luke would do an Obi Wan and I was so spooked, but when the Force Manifestation thing was revealed it was an amazing surprise. Happy with the way Luke passed, it was a good end for a great character.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

LordTBT

Didn't care for the movie at all. Terrible writing, worst Star Wars movie (out of the 8 saga films) so far.

Jetthebinturong

"No more Sith, no more Jedi. No more Empire, no more Rebellion."

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

"Join me. Together we can rule the galaxy."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU HAD IT RIGHT!!! YOU HAD IT RIGHT AND THEN YOU RUINED IT!!!

"I will not be the last Jedi."

NONONONONONONONONONO.

Also Snoke was a nothing character. Like seriously who was he? We learned nothing about him, his personality or his motivations. He was completely pointless. Sneaky codebreaker dude was also pointless. Rose added nothing to the story. Also where was Phasma's big role they promised us? What's the point of Hux?

This whole movie was just so badly thought out. So many pointless characters, and the final act was just wrong and missed the point of the entire series.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

So I just saw the movie.

*screams into the abyss*

I'm just so upset that Luke died.  SO.  UPSET.

He should've gone back to Leia and helped the Resistance.  I'm so mad that cheerful farmboy Luke becomes this grizzled, angry old man who doesn't even leave his island to help his sister and just dies because he overexerted himself.

Also, who even was Snoke?  Why do we still know nothing about him?  And why are Rey's parents just some scumbags who sold her for drinking money?  And why can the Force be used to cast illusions?  Finn and Rose's mission was kind of pointless.  Also, Benicio del Toro's character was hilarious, but it was weird how he just... betrayed them and presumably got killed three seconds later?  And Maz Kanata's cameo was just weird.

On the positive side, Snoke's death was pretty cool, and the ensuing fight was awesome.  Poe was also awesome, and I liked Laura Dern's character (took a while, though).  It was also cool to see Leia actively use the Force for once.  (Although that whole scene was kind of cheesy/weird...)

I just hope J.J. Abrams can fix all of this movie's problems in Episode IX.  Maybe Rey's parents weren't actually the jerks Kylo thought they were...
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

The whole thing about Rey's parents being unimportant was the only good part of the final act. It was real, it was raw, it was perfect. Rey had been holding onto this naive hope that her parents had some grander purpose. That they left her for a reason. She wanted to believe it because that made it bearable. The fact that that was ripped away from her and the obsessed audience was genius. It was exactly what it should have been, and far more than I expected of Disney.

If only the rest of the movie could've delivered that well.

Also the forced romances between Finn and Rose and Poe and Rey right at the end sucked. They sucked so much.

Also who were Snoke's bodyguards? The Knights of Ren? If not, WHO AND WHERE ARE THE KNIGHTS OF REN? Are the Knights of Ren the rest of Luke's apprentices? If not, what happened to them?

This movie was awful, I'm finding new things to complain about every second.

Jukka the Sling

I didn't realize Poe and Rey were being set up as a romance?  (My younger brother thought so, though...)  On a related note, do you guys think Rey and Kylo's relationship is meant to be romantic?

Luke said that Kylo took off with the rest of his apprentices after killing the rest, so I would assume they are indeed the Knights of Ren.  It's stupid that we don't even know where or who they are.

Also, I don't think anyone even said "I have a bad feeling about this."  I feel betrayed. xD

Jetthebinturong

I've thought of one thing I liked about the movie. Luke's death. Not the way it happened, that was stupid. But the way it was framed in the story.

Luke sitting there, staring out as the twin suns rose. Whereas in A New Hope, at the beginning of his journey, he stares out at the twin suns setting. Beautifully poetic ending.

LordTBT

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on December 16, 2017, 08:38:43 PM
The whole thing about Rey's parents being unimportant was the only good part of the final act. It was real, it was raw, it was perfect. Rey had been holding onto this naive hope that her parents had some grander purpose. That they left her for a reason. She wanted to believe it because that made it bearable. The fact that that was ripped away from her and the obsessed audience was genius. It was exactly what it should have been, and far more than I expected of Disney.

This would be acceptable if this mystery hadn't been hyped up by Disney & co. for the past two years. Instead it was made into a really, really huge deal. Late night guests were peppered with questions about it. Rian failed to deliver. I think JJ is going to course-correct here, otherwise Rey is the worst Mary Sue in cinematic history.

Jetthebinturong

It wasn't hyped up by Disney. The fandom latched onto it, and Disney decided to capitalise on that. It was barely touched on in The Force Awakens. I certainly never believed that her parents were any existing characters, I thought that would have been stupid. And yes, Disney is quite stupid, but I don't think they're that stupid.

Jukka the Sling

But what about the part in TFA where Maz is like "Who's the girl?"  And then the scene cuts, so you don't see Han's response.  And why did Leia hug Rey so tightly when they'd supposedly never met before?  And then, in one of the TFA novelizations, when Rey Force-grabs the lightsaber (I think), Kylo breathes, "It is you."  Not to mention how much he freaked out in the movie when he discovered that a random girl was with BB-8.

These things are obviously there on purpose, hinting at Rey's origins.  And yeah, sure, they could have other explanations.  But to have all of that just brushed off in TLJ, like Rian's just trolling the audience, is extremely disappointing.

Jetthebinturong

I highly doubt that this was something Rian thought up himself. They had to have planned out the major plot details before even making TFA, otherwise they're idiots who don't know anything about writing stories.

Friar Poppy

Despite the movie being a terrible mess. I didn't find it to be any worse than The Farce Awakens.

Some pretty cool things in it for sure, but a lot of things that made me face palm.

They ruined the seriousness of star wars and replaced it with ridiculous comedy throughout the entire movie. The Phantom Menace did the same thing with JAR JAR BINKS.

I would say it was better than The Farce Awakens, since JEW JEW wasn't directing.
I'm a troll apparently. I'm glad someone told me!