News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

What Redwall-like books are there

Started by daskar666, July 10, 2011, 06:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: SoranMBane on November 26, 2017, 07:34:31 PM
Most of the Redwall-like books I remember reading growing up seem to have already been mentioned, but if webcomics count, there is Beyond the Western Deep. It's very Redwall-inspired, by the creators' own admission. Also, during a time when the usual artist was taking a break, they even had a small side story with art done by the well-known Redwall fanartist Jerome Jacinto. Anyone here who hasn't heard of this comic yet should definitely check it out. ^-^
There's already a thread for webcomics and I'm fairly sure Beyond the Western Deep has come up at least once.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Quote from: SoranMBane on November 26, 2017, 07:34:31 PM
Most of the Redwall-like books I remember reading growing up seem to have already been mentioned, but if webcomics count, there is Beyond the Western Deep. It's very Redwall-inspired, by the creators' own admission. Also, during a time when the usual artist was taking a break, they even had a small side story with art done by the well-known Redwall fanartist Jerome Jacinto. Anyone here who hasn't heard of this comic yet should definitely check it out. ^-^

I asked for it for Christmas. I don't like reading webcomics (which may sound hypocritical because I make them, but making and reading something is different) but there's a printed version, and I like printed comics.

Anyway!

Last night, I finished the first of the Nightshade Chronicles (the rat books by Hilary Wagner). They're awesome! My second favorite character died, but I'm used to that. As a Redwall fan, you kind of have to expect your favorite character to die in every book. Haw haw.
Anyway, I definitely recommend you read it.

Sebias of Redwall

Reboot!

The Green Ember books are rather Redwall-like.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

I am currently obsessed with Welkin Weasels- a great read, and while the first trilogy is somewhat weak, the writing improves greatly with each novel.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Sebias of Redwall

I think I've heard about them. I might consider checking 'em out.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

Beak of the Moon reminds me of Redwall, just a bit. :P
Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Mara the Wolf

I haven't read any of these (except Guardians of Ga'Hoole up until The Coming of Hoole), but these books tend to be loved by Redwall fans, sooo...

In order of publication date (of the first book if a series):

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (1971) and Racso and the Rats of NIMH and R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH by Jane Leslie Conly (1986 & 1990)

Watership Down and Tales from Watership Down by Richard Adams (1972 & 1996)

The Animals of Farthing Wood by Collin Dann (1979-1994)

Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams (1985)

Welkin Weasels by Garry Kilworth (1997—2003)

Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel (1997—2007)

Varjak Paw and The Outlaw Varjak Paw by S. F. Said (2003 & 2005)

Warriors by Erin Hunter (2003—present)

Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky (2003—present)

The Mistmantle Chronicles by M. I. McAllister (2004—2010)

Survivors by Erin Hunter (2012-2019)
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

PanopticEmu

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on May 04, 2019, 06:59:35 PM
The Green Ember books are rather Redwall-like.

Green Ember isn't bad, but I know a much better one: "The Five Realms" (or "Longburrow" in the USA) by Kieran Larwood. If you've never read them, start now. You'll never forgive me for how addicted you become.
The first book in the series is "Podkin One-Ear"
discord: PanopticEmu#0001