News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Musicals

Started by Lily, April 04, 2013, 01:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily

This thread is for discussion of musicals. Broadway, Off-Broadway, movies, anything is welcome here!

We have threads for these specific musicals:
Les Misérables
Cats
The Phantom of the Opera
Seussical the Musical

Krowdon

Ahhhh I LOVE Cats.

Have you seen Sunset Boulevard?

Lily

I haven't, no. Actually, the only Andrew Lloyd Webber show I've seen live is The Phantom of the Opera... six times...in four different cities.

Have you seen it? I'm going to guess... yes.

Romsca

Lily

Nice! Do you remember which cast you saw?

Romsca

It was my high school :P

Lily

Haha, then I guess I wouldn't have heard of anyone.

Mattio

Has anyone seen chorus line? Or once upon a mattress? I just realized I could go on and on

Romsca

#nook

I have some friends who were in Once Upon a Mattress

KitrallStreamrippler

;D Once Upon A Mattress is really funny- I love twisted fairy tales!
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: KitrallStreamrippler on April 04, 2013, 07:21:57 PM
I take it you like Shrek, then?
BTW, I'm not a big fan of musicals, though I want to see that Redwall one someday...

Life is too short to rush through it.

Mattio

I've been in 3 musicals. Might be in shriek this summer

KitrallStreamrippler

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on April 04, 2013, 07:48:59 PM
Quote from: KitrallStreamrippler on April 04, 2013, 07:21:57 PM
I take it you like Shrek, then?

Shrek was a good movie (the first one, anyway, the second one was okay), but the thought of it being a musical, well... Eh. I'm not so excited about it. Mostly, I like twisted fairy tale stories, like in books and stuff. (Gail Carson Levine and Patricia C. Wrede are good authors for that sort of thing.)

Back on the subject of musicals- what are your opinions on The Wiz?
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Dawnwing

Here's the ones I've seen professional (not just high school/college) performances of:

Wicked
Saw it when they were on tour.  It was on the day of the worst blizzard of the year, and the smoke alarm went off in the middle of No Good Deed.  The actress (an understudy, not even the main one) didn't even skip a beat, just kept singing until they came on the loudspeaker telling us to evacuate the buliding.  So we stood outside in the hail for half an hour until the fire department came and declared the building clear.  They just restarted it in the middle of the song - had the stage dark and the actress come out of the darkness and restart in the middle of the song.

101 Dalmatians the Musical
I was fortunate to see this as it was short-lived; the actress playing Cruella left for family reasons and they didn't think they could get someone as perfect to replace her.  I saw it on about its 5th day of performances - I have pictures of the theater marquee saying "World Premiere".  
It's based more on the book than the movies.  The sets are big and the people playing the human characters are on stilts and wearing bright colors, while the people playing the dogs look more "normal" to us.
This is my favorite song from it, "Twilight Barking".  I like it for the melody and I also thought it was a cool way to represent the Twilight Barking spreading across the country.  (The music starts at about 58 seconds into the video if you want to skip the talking till then.  The rest is all the song, it's a good long one.)

Lily

I didn't even know there was a 101 Dalmatians musical. Those stilts look difficult, props to those actors for walking around like that all night!

I've also seen Wicked, though I never experienced a fire alarm during one of the most dramatic songs in the show. Yikes! I saw it twice in Melbourne and three times in Japan. Ebata Masae is my favourite Elphaba, she was phenomenal live.

The quality isn't great, but you get the idea. :)