Book I: The Origins of Simon and The Vow of the Mad Captain

Started by Captain Tammo, August 02, 2013, 05:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

I HAVE NEWS! ;D

The Origins of Simon and The Life of Simon have become two of the most successful fanfictions on the forum and I'm absolutely thrilled to see how many people are enjoying the stories (In fact, The Origins of Simon just surpassed 10,000 views!).

So what's the news?

PART III:
The Plague
Coming February 1st, 2015

There's another fanfiction on the way! The Plague (also to be titled The Legacy of Simon) will be the third and final installment in the 'Simon' series. I also strongly feel that Part III is by far the best written of the three!

The Plague will be a stand-alone in the series, which means reading Parts I and II are not required!

Thanks for all of the support, you guys. I'm looking forward to seeing how this next story will be received :)

I'll be posting an alternate ending for Part I (the topic you're on now) as an edit in the Epilogue. So that the transition from Part I to Part III will be much smoother if you have not yet read part II. It's just a little fun something that I decided to add for you guys ;)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Faiyloe

I just started reading and It is amazing. I am at the part where the sea spark sinks off the coast of Hsif-Drows. I love how deep and divers your characters are and how you are not afraid to kill a few off just when you start to get to know them. One thing I can't seem to do... You must have done a lot of research of the different kinds of ships and how they work. One thing I was wondering about. Are the hooded ones by any chances cobras?
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Captain Tammo

Thanks for the review =) I'm really happy to see that you're enjoying the story so far!

As for the hooded ones, I don't want to spoil or give anything away, but they will be a topic that is revisited!

I'm eager to hear about what you think of the rest!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Scott McLamok

Maybe change the name into seaspark or some thing I dont really like the name right now
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

Scott McLamok

Quote from: Faiyloe on January 30, 2015, 04:56:34 PM
I just started reading and It is amazing. I am at the part where the sea spark sinks off the coast of Hsif-Drows. I love how deep and divers your characters are and how you are not afraid to kill a few off just when you start to get to know them. One thing I can't seem to do... You must have done a lot of research of the different kinds of ships and how they work. One thing I was wondering about. Are the hooded ones by any chances cobras?
I agree its great cant wait to finish it

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Scott McLamok on October 07, 2017, 04:13:32 PM
Maybe change the name into seaspark or some thing I dont really like the name right now
I believe he's done with it. No changing it now! ;)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Scott McLamok

This is the Way.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 07, 2017, 05:48:26 PM
Quote from: Scott McLamok on October 07, 2017, 04:13:32 PM
I believe he's done with it. No changing it now! ;)

Yeah, too late to fix that stuff now, Scott. This story has been finished for quite a while! I hope the name doesn't take away from enjoying the story (and read on, you won't have to worry about that pesky name for too long)!

Quote from: Scott McLamok on October 07, 2017, 04:18:42 PM
Quote from: Faiyloe on January 30, 2015, 04:56:34 PM
I agree its great cant wait to finish it

At the same time, I'm extremely excited to see you're enjoying this story! Let me know if you have any questions, critiques, etc. I'm happy to discuss absolutely any time :)

The Grey Coincidence

Quote from: Captain Tammo on August 02, 2013, 05:54:05 AM

Note: This fanfiction is continuously updated to adjust for grammatical errors. No changes are made to the plot during these corrections.

How? How can you edit a story and not change some tiny, tiny, tiny plot details?! It's impossible for me to look back on anything I write and not change it up. (Even if nothing needs changing)

Your story is very well written, and you do a good job with characters. You make us readers feel for all of them. I've been binge-reading so i don't remember the names, but like that squirrel that was killed really early on, that hit me. And I barely knew him, but it hurt. Like that's good writing! Now... to binge-read the rest of the Simon Series...
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Captain Tammo

Lol, so every once in a while I'll read through a chapter or two and have fun remembering where I was when I wrote it (either physically or in a broader sense of my growing up). And when I do this, I almost always come across grammatical errors. Punctuation is especially one of those things that I would mess up a lot. So I'll make my tweaks and changes to those, but preserve whatever words I've written (so long as I don't notice they're misspelled). I keep it this way because I feel like my writing got better with each entry in the series, and reading all three parts beginning to end has a bit of a gradient in the quality that shows me how far I've come over the years :)

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the story! Let me know if you have any questions and all that!

The Grey Coincidence

Review To Chapter Numero Uno: I don't think I've ever seen the concept of a privateer in a Redwall fanfic (of course I haven't read *too* many of those either) but I loved this first chapter with the Seaspark.
The rat's were funny and indeed very ratty ( I love the line 'I know a gold schlepper when I see one) and one of them has survived... Wonder how long he'll last...  And Marius! Love that guy you know.
I think this chapter set a nice tone. Brutal action that is also hilarious. I love the details you use to describe stuff like the hundred little Xes on Captain Leonardo's maps and the rams on the boat (and how turning the boat on it's side sinks the ship easier). The action was brief but well-described enough to get a general idea of how much better fighters these privateers are. Another line that made me laugh (okay, breathe harder though my nose but this is the internet) was 'wiseass on a rope'.
Yet that last line remains somewhat ominous. Will Leonardo do a Felldoh? We shall see...

Captain Tammo

Oh wow you were serious when you said you'd go back and read this lol, good show wot, I commend you! You've also reminded me that it's about time I got back to you fic as well - gotta see what happens to Fret and the Happy Company!

Thanks a bunch for the review, it's always a lot of fun reading what people think! Glad I could capture the comical rat personality somewhat well ;)

The Grey Coincidence

(Honest Bunch you uncultured swine! Though Happy Company doesn't have a bad ring to it either...)
You know, some parts- like Wearul's interrogation- are just as nerve-wracking (because me Bei g me of course I'm rooting for the searat's survival!) the second time around.
Some things on the other paw, such as Heavytail's introduction is kind of hard to read knowing how the next few chapters go down...
I'm about midway through Legend of Luke and Williams is giving me a lot of Luke vibes (especially that line at the end of chapter two...) I'm worrying over his final fate right now... Vengeful characters don't usually last as long as the peacable beasts...

Captain Tammo

Oh yikes, you're right I am an uncultured swine 8D my bad!

Hehe... well, Luke was one of my favorite characters in the Redwall series. Funny enough, you're actually the first person to pick up on the similarities there! He was a big inspiration for this entire story (then I added my own creative flair with Simon, who comes a bit later...)