How big is Redwall?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, January 22, 2014, 11:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazemane

Quote from: The Shade on January 27, 2014, 06:53:17 PM
Quote from: Captain Tammo on June 11, 1970, 12:18:11 AM
In one of the books (I think the bellmaker), the main characters come across some whales! They were described as being the size of the abbey by one. Assuming that these were blue whales, which is absolutely possible, seeing as they live in every area of the oceans (except the arctic regions). So a full grown blue whale can be about 100 feet long, and a mouse is only a couple of inches big, that is a HUGE size. You could easily fit 300 mice in redwall (I believe in the long patrol it mentions that there were 300 creatures living in the abbey at that time) with ample room to spare. And this may not be including the vertical part of the abbey, either!
And also, the abbey could hold even more than that. I think in... Taggerung (?) the hares stay and eat, them being mentioned one hundred.

Oh, yeah! You're right! Russano the Wise is worried that the Abbey can't sustain his hares, but Abbess Mhera says she won't hear of them leaving, and that Redwall can more than accommodate them for as long as they want to stay.

What's crucial about this is that Russano's troop has 1,000 hares. 1,000!

QuoteThrough the massive dustcloud emerged a giant Badger Lord at the head of a thousand fighting hares.

Yes. Redwall must be very big.  

The Shade

Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was 100 or 1,000. Minor detail anyway.  ;D I mean, it's only ten times as much.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

321tumbler

If Redwall wasn't massive, vermin wouldn't always attack it or think it holds some colossal treasure.

Ungatt Trunn

Also remember that allot of the rooms, some of them pretty big, are situated underground. And if it was also tall, adding all the underground rooms to that, Redwall Abbey could have been huge.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 28, 2014, 04:08:24 PM
Also remember that allot of the rooms, some of them pretty big, are situated underground. And if it was also tall, adding all the underground rooms to that, Redwall Abbey could have been huge.
So, I think most of us agree it is Huge.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Blazemane

Quote from: The Shade on January 28, 2014, 11:28:41 AM
Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was 100 or 1,000. Minor detail anyway.  ;D I mean, it's only ten times as much.

Ah, sorry. My main point wasn't trying to correct you about something. I was glad you had brought the scene up.

The Shade

Quote from: Blazemane on January 28, 2014, 04:57:48 PM
Quote from: The Shade on January 28, 2014, 11:28:41 AM

Ah, sorry. My main point wasn't trying to correct you about something. I was glad you had brought the scene up.
Nah, don't worry, I was only joking around with that comment anyway.  ;) Anyway, back to the topic,
I think Redwall's wall perimeter was rather large too. Taking in mind they hosted races on it.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Ungatt Trunn

...And my underground therium!

MatthiasMan

Okay, this is my belief. 

How small is a mouse? Pretty small.  Think of it as in the way the mouse would have to walk through all the corridors and hallways.  That, in my opinion is about the size of a large house.  Because, think, they have badgers living there, and badgers are WAY bigger than mice.  Then think of the size of the orchard and all the lawns.  A lot bigger than you would probably think, right?

Tam and Martin

Well, then there is the animal comparison. We have to know how big the animals were before we kno how big Redwall was.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tam and Martin on January 29, 2014, 02:05:20 AM
Well, then there is the animal comparison. We have to know how big the animals were before we kno how big Redwall was.
Correct. Remember that the Redwall universe is a completly different world. Things can be quite different there, such as the size ratio of the creatures.

MeadowR

Well it's definitely larger (including the grounds) that the image shows. There are so many rooms and secret rooms, significantly enough sized gardens and all has to house quite a lot of critters. It gets quite confusing when you start to consider what the sizes of the animals would be in this world! If they're all smaller than humans than the abbey wouldn't be quite so huge to us. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ungatt Trunn

But the human/creature ratio could be different in the Redwall Universe.

MatthiasMan

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 31, 2014, 12:32:53 AM
But the human/creature ratio could be different in the Redwall Universe.

But really, even if the mice were the size of your thumb, all the places that are in Redwall, all the rooms, all the secret places, it would still be pretty big.

If mice in Redwall were the size of my thumb, the tip at least is one inch, Redwall would probably be the size of 15' by 15' or something.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.