News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

[DEBATE] Matthias's age?

Started by CaptainRocktree, June 15, 2014, 02:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

My mistake; good points all.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 29, 2014, 07:02:20 AM
BJ was trying to install some medieval things into his stories, and one of those is early marriages: A lot of times, boys were trained to become knights and defend their family because of how common deaths were. (Women remarrying three times was also something that happened) This training coupled with actual times where they had to battle caused early maturing; marriage can take place really any time the two are mature and ready enough to marry, which also requires a way of supporting a family. Families wished their line to continue, so this was the common practice. If anyone notices the some of the old suits of armor, they are pretty short: this is because they were meant for someone of that height, at which many thirteen-year-olds were. If they are ready enough to wear their own suit of armor into battle, then they're old enough to marry.

The point is, I think thirteen would be a time-accurate age.

But no one could become a knight until 21, they started out as a page going to a neighboring castle at the age of seven,  and then at the age of fourteen they would become a squire, and only until 21 would they become a knight.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

CaptainRocktree

Hmmmm never thought about that......
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Mister Cheese

Honestly I did not imagine him a teenager, I imagined him to be ~20 years old or a bit younger, young adult territory. Just to kind of fit in my head that he was able defeat a terrifying rat warlord, lol

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Mister Cheese on August 25, 2014, 11:49:20 PM
Honestly I did not imagine him a teenager, I imagined him to be ~20 years old or a bit younger, young adult territory. Just to kind of fit in my head that he was able defeat a terrifying rat warlord, lol
Me neither. He seemed to mature to be a teenager. I would say something like 17 or 18 would fit Mathias better. Alot better.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Wylder Treejumper

I always imagined him as about 16 or so...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Lilian of Oceanna

I think somewhere either in the tv show or beginning of the book it mentions him being 14, but i don't remember for sure...

SilentSam

I think (in human years) he is 15-19
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

Faiyloe

It did state in the book that he was 13 (I think).
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Søren

It would make sense for him to be in his late teens rather then barely a teenager.

I'm retired from the forum

Hickory

don't forget that redwall is measured in seasons! cregga was probably 30 seasons when she reashed redwall and then it was three novels (maybe six seasons? taggerung took a bit) and she was considered very old (fact: gregga was the last known badger mum!) so seasons are obviously a long time in redwall. I want to say 16 years
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Hickory

I look back on that post and want to crawl into a corner.

Let me rephrase that.

In Doomwyte, Zaran asks whatshisname the son of Tugga Bruster how old he is, and he replies with "twelve seasons", which goes to show human years don't matter, because if they did a three year old wouldn't be a warrior and full time member of the Gousim. Even then, for Redwall time he's pretty young.

Then again, Songbreeze is, what, fifteen or sixteen when she's promoted to Abbess? There's not really a set time keeping device in Redwall except the sun. Or linear time at all. (They don't even have days of the week! Or even days at all!)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

In the series, it seems that Brian Jacques intended that the age be less important than the action. A lot of times, it is the adventures characters take on that "age" them; seems to be a focal idea in the books.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

CaptainRocktree

Why, oh, why did you have to revive my first thread...  ::)

Let me just go into a corner now.....

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Banya

I've always interpreted one season as being equal to one year.  In the second book of Taggerung, titled "Sixteen Seasons On," Tagg is sixteen seasons old, and his character and maturity are appropriate for an older teen.  I would place Matthias around that same age during the events of Redwall.

Since Martin the Warrior was mentioned, I'll throw out that I'd place Martin around 18 seasons during the events of Mossflower, and that's after he spent two seasons in the prisons of Kotir.  I'd guess him to be roughly 14 during the events of Martin the Warrior.  He was considered a young mouse in the book; it's stated on the first page.  I'd put Felldoh a season or two older than Martin and Brome two or three younger.
If 14 does seem young for Martin, remember that firstly, the show takes several liberties in changing aspects of the original story, and secondly, in the Castaways series, Ben is 13.